Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Watching DVDs faster (Was: I'm starting to appreciate PAL DVDs more and more...)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Watching DVDs faster (Was: I'm starting to appreciate PAL DVDs more and more...)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like many of you, I don't have a ton of free time on my hands. In between working multiple jobs, taking care of the children, and attending to my wife's whims and needs, I lead a pretty busy lifestyle. This means that when I finally have a block of time to watch a movie, I appreciate the 4% speedup of PAL, as the movie finishes faster than its NTSC counterpart, and I can get back to the daily grind of everyday life!

That is all.

TLK
Old 03-22-10, 11:59 AM

re: Watching DVDs faster (Was: I'm starting to appreciate PAL DVDs more and more...)

Cool story bro
Old 03-22-10, 12:04 PM

re: Watching DVDs faster (Was: I'm starting to appreciate PAL DVDs more and more...)

I hate PAL.
Old 03-22-10, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by -TRANCE-
I hate PAL.
I did, too, until fairly recently. Now, I see the benefits of a movie that finishes faster than it does on NTSC (or theatrically, for that matter).

TLK
Old 03-22-10, 12:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Related, but I'll sometimes watch parts of 'slow' films at 1.5 speed.
Old 03-22-10, 12:27 PM

I watch some documentaries and almost all commentaries at 1.5x speed.
Old 03-22-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just fly around the eath at super speed if I feel that I've wasted too much time on a movie.
Old 03-22-10, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by JakeNeff
I watch some documentaries and almost all commentaries at 1.5x speed.
I think I knew this trick, but if not, you just saved me hundreds of hours of time.
Old 03-22-10, 01:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I watch most DVDs at 1.5 times... just gotten used to it and anything else seems slow
Old 03-22-10, 01:35 PM

Re: Watching DVDs faster (Was: I'm starting to appreciate PAL DVDs more and more...)

Originally Posted by Trevor
I think I knew this trick, but if not, you just saved me hundreds of hours of time.
I've been doing it for a few years now. It is surprisingly easy to understand almost anything at 1.5 speed, which is all I care about with a commentary/behind the scenes stuff. For the movie/TV show itself, pacing is important and while I CAN watch it sped up, it is much less engaging.

I also listen to podcasts at work at 1.5 speed. I don't hear everything (since my concentration is elsewhere for the most part), but that's not really the point.

Last edited by JakeNeff; 03-22-10 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-22-10, 01:41 PM

Re: Watching DVDs faster (Was: I'm starting to appreciate PAL DVDs more and more...)

Love the originality of the original title, but this new one will get more views. Thanks Nemein!
Old 03-22-10, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you guys serious?
Old 03-22-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What software/hardware do you use to watch/listen to commentaries at 1.5x speed?
Old 03-22-10, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
What software/hardware do you use to watch/listen to commentaries at 1.5x speed?
Some players will do it, the PS3 for sure.

And on the PC I think VLC player does.
Old 03-22-10, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
When I'm watching the TV, I use the PS3. On the computer, I recently started using the free VLC media player. I have never had a problem with an audio commentary not playing at 1.5 speed, but on a few discs that have PiP video commentaries, the PiP disappears when you speed it up.
Old 03-22-10, 02:28 PM

I use Power DVD and it has options of 1.2x 1.4x (I think?) 1.5x & 2x w/ audio still enabled. I believe you can do 3x w/ subtitles/cc still going but anything fast than that is just video (which is usually more a series of jump cuts at that point).
Old 03-22-10, 02:32 PM

VLC at least goes up to 2x with audio/subs (didn't check beyond that) and pretty sure it increases in increments of .05x.
Old 03-22-10, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
Are you guys serious?
I am... I know some people will say you're wrecking the pacing but I find it particularly helpful/useful w/ TV on DVD and "B"/DtD movies.
Old 03-22-10, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also find when I watch in rapid play I enjoy the movies more (than previous viewings)... Films merit an extra star because they (for the most part) never drag...
Old 03-22-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Has anybody gotten Blu-rays to play using VLC on their computer? I've been forced to use PowerDVD, which I hate.
Old 03-22-10, 07:55 PM
Cool New Member

Oh come on how much time do you really save on Pal movie? I just watch the first five minutes and the last five minutes saves oodles of time (yes that was an attempt at a joke. I nominate this top ten bizzare thread of all time.
Old 03-23-10, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Litfuel716
Oh come on how much time do you really save on Pal movie? I just watch the first five minutes and the last five minutes saves oodles of time (yes that was an attempt at a joke. I nominate this top ten bizzare thread of all time.
But then you miss the whole movie... if you're going to do that you might as well just read the synopsis and be done w/ it. Watching at 1.5x or 2x you still see the whole movie... just in less time
Old 03-23-10, 09:42 AM

I watched the Inglorious Bastards extras at 1.5X speed. QT already speaks at that speed, so it was like watching a long Micro Machines commercial.
Old 03-23-10, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by worrywort
I watched the Inglorious Bastards extras at 1.5X speed. QT already speaks at that speed, so it was like watching a long Micro Machines commercial.
Except with a lot more blood.
Old 03-23-10, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Lizard King
Like many of you, I don't have a ton of free time on my hands. In between working multiple jobs, taking care of the children, and attending to my wife's whims and needs, I lead a pretty busy lifestyle. This means that when I finally have a block of time to watch a movie, I appreciate the 4% speedup of PAL, as the movie finishes faster than its NTSC counterpart, and I can get back to the daily grind of everyday life!

That is all.

TLK
Seeing someone praise PAl speedup fills me with rage. Rage, I tell you!

The only thing that consoles me is that while I'm enjoying a movie at proper speed, you're "working multiple jobs, taking care of the children, and attending to [your] wife's whims and needs." In fact, I'll go watch another movie right now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.