Search this Thread

Old 03-20-10, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts
Breaking Bad Season 3 premiere "No Mas" 3/21/10

Photobucket

Episode synopsis:
Spoiler:
Walt deals with the aftermath of Skylar leaving him; Jesse comes to a realization about himself.

--------------------

Hope it's not too early to talk about this, but I'm pumped about this premiere. I watched Breaking Bad for the first time late last year and was addicted from the first episode (terrible pun, I know). Amazing show!
Old 03-20-10, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Breaking Bad Season 3 premiere "No Mas" 3/21/10

Can't wait!
Old 03-20-10, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm so stoked.

Seeing the interviews with Vince and the cast in the marathon last night was pretty awesome.
Old 03-20-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

omg omg omg omg best show on tv right now. i'm stoked!
Old 03-20-10, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I knew somebody wouldn't be able to wait until Sunday to start this thread.

In case anyone hasn't checked it out yet: Better Call Saul

And, yeah, I'm incredibly stoked. I've watched AMC's re-airs of Seasons 1&2, and the show holds up really well. Can't wait!
Old 03-20-10, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So you guys are all stoked eh?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QgXObaM9i2Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QgXObaM9i2Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 03-20-10, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
So you guys are all stoked eh?
No, I'm incredibly stoked, yo.

Here's a positive review from IGN...

Spoiler:
Breaking Bad's Season 3 premiere doesn't begin exactly where we left off, but rather with a strange and bizarre cold opening - a ritual in rural Mexico with people crawling on their bellies on a dirt road in an orange, hazy twilight. It is mad Breaking Bad-ish. At Paley Fest last week [to see our cast interviews from that event, Click Here], series creator Vince Gilligan said that it's a ritual from a religion -- something to do with celebrating or worshipping the dead, but my 20 minutes of Google searching didn't find anything -- and that 4 million people celebrate it in Mexico. The people who crawl to the alter like that are a particularly devout sect—fractionalists, I guess, though Gilligan stated the religion is not just for criminals and murderers. That'll make more sense after you watch the episode. I have no idea if he was telling the truth, but it sounds so cool I would rather believe it's real than find out it's not. It's yet another little diamond of a sub-culture the producers throw at us that most viewers know nothing about.

Breaking Bad comes back after its eight-month hiatus with "No Mas," a wonderful and wonderfully-titled episode. The show is mixing its pitches in the season 3 premiere. After a hard plane-crashing fastball, we're getting an emotionally impacted change-up that lands softly into the catcher's mitt. Some shows can have an unforgettable incident like the "Seven Thirty-Seven Down Over ABQ," but only a rare few can make the next episode just as interesting without resorting to more physical fireworks. In "No Mas," the characters are struggling with the existential dilemma, a student at the high school even asks in a crowded auditorium why a just and righteous God would allow this to happen. Almost every character's first line in the episode is how they feel about the crash, except, most notably, Walt (Bryan Cranston).

"No Mas" isn't so much an important episode by style or impact, but by content. We left off with Skyler (Anna Gunn) leaving Walt and taking Walt Jr. (RJ Mitte) with her. Season 3 dives right into updates on where everyone is: Walt's reaction to Skyler leaving; where Skyler and Walt Jr. are; what Walt Jr.'s feeling about the split; where Hank (Dean Norris) and Marie side on the whole thing; Jesse (Aaron Paul) in rehab; etc. The transition into season 3 is very smooth. This episode works excellently as an episode and also as a season primer.

My favorite part about the Season 3 premiere was how Walt handled the news coverage of the crash. I can't talk much more about it without revealing some spoilers, so let's just say you're gonna like it.

"No Mas" brings us two new bad guys: a ruthless pair of cousins who literally don't say a thing throughout the first episode and let their actions (and boots) do the talking. They take an interesting journey from to the States with Albuquerque as their likely destination. I was told we're going to see quite a bit of them in Season 3 and judging from the first episode, it's gonna be awesome.

Season 2 was nothing short of brilliant, but it ended on an odd note—a red herring that left some fans scratching their heads. I was one of those fans. I had my hopes up for a large crescendo and believed that that wasn't it. I started thinking about it again around the time the first Season 3 ads started popping up and I realized I was a fool. What destruction could have matched my expectations? And what would they have to have given up to satisfy me? For all of the things that occurred in the first two seasons and all the times Walt and Jesse should have been killed, arrested or even deterred for committing these crimes, they received no penalty. This was the first moment of karmic justice. No, that plane crash was just right. The producers and writers of the show are much smarter than me.

Well it turns out after watching the Season 3 premiere, the plane crash was as impactful as I was hoping, just not in the way I thought it was going to be. I hope this Season 3 opener surprises you as much as it did me.

I can't talk too much about this episode without revealing a spoiler or two, so I'll leave the rest up to your imagination until the episode airs.
Old 03-20-10, 09:18 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

So pissed I don't get A&E in HD.
Old 03-20-10, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
So pissed I don't get A&E in HD.
Why? Is Dog the Bounty Hunter in HD so appealing to you?

Breaking Bad is on AMC.
Old 03-21-10, 12:25 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
So pissed I don't get AMC in HD.
Yeah, annoying as hell, especially considering the rumors for I think almost 2 years now that it was coming to DirecTV "soon."
Old 03-21-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should be great.

First time I'm watching it live. Bought the season 1 dvd last year, then downloaded Season 2 from PSN.
Old 03-21-10, 01:26 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by aktick
Yeah, annoying as hell, especially considering the rumors for I think almost 2 years now that it was coming to DirecTV "soon."
Same with Dish -- I'll still be tuning in on SD though.
Old 03-21-10, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Time Warner Cable has AMC in HD. Maybe TWC isn't as bad as its reputation. Did I mention that HD is free with TWC? (no, I'm not a TWC employee)
Old 03-21-10, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been mowing through Seasons 1 & 2 on Blu-Ray to get ready for this season, but I still lack about 6 more episodes. I'll be all caught up for next week's episode though. Everyone should be watching this show. It's great!
Old 03-21-10, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Less than an hour to go...
Haven't anticipated a season premiere like this since "The Wire"...
Old 03-21-10, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

awesome premiere
Old 03-21-10, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome start.

Spoiler:
Walt rationalizing in the gym was a bit much. Man up you pansy.

The confession to Skylar was wild, I didn't expect that aspect to come so quickly this season.

LOVED Jesse ending the 'confused pussy fuckup' routine and just owning the 'bad guy' shit. I think the tables are gonna turn in the relationship now.

That stupid kid mouthing in the truck. Those two are all business. 'He's hip to it they all gotta die' with one glance.

Great episode.
Old 03-21-10, 10:46 PM
Cool New Member

Not going to ask much without spoiling it but can somebody explain the crawling?
Old 03-21-10, 10:55 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by stc9357
Not going to ask much without spoiling it but can somebody explain the crawling?
Read the review in Fist of Doom's post

Great start

Skylar's never struck me as the sharpest knife in the drawer so I was surprised she on the right track to what Walt was doing.

It was funny when Walt made the speech in the chicken place, and then as soon as 3 million dollars was mentioned he had to do everything in his power to turn it down.
Old 03-21-10, 11:08 PM
Banned

Great episode. One of my favorite shows, if not my favorite, returns in grand fashion. I didn't know what the crawling meant either but reading Fist of Doom's post sheds some light.
Old 03-21-10, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was getting a "Heathers" vibe during the high school school grieving scene, and then Walt got the mic...

At least the pollo loco guy has an angle to work to get Walt on board.
Old 03-22-10, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
Skylar's never struck me as the sharpest knife in the drawer so I was surprised she on the right track to what Walt was doing.
Considering she knew he had that much money out of nowhere, she was pretty far off I thought. Selling weed vs. cooking meth is a pretty wide gap in my opinion.

Loved Cranston's direction, shame he can only logistically do the one per season.
Old 03-22-10, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great start to the season. I'll be really interested to see what direction Jesse goes - "I'm the bad guy."

As badass as The Cousins are, Gus strikes me as a much scarier character. I doubt he takes "no" for answer. Saul Goodman may end up changing Walt's mind.

The only nitpick I have is Walt's speech in the school gym. It was funny, but it didn't ring true at all to me.
Old 03-22-10, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

So glad to have this show back, and the S03 opener really delivered.

Man, those twins are ruthless...
Old 03-22-10, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Time Warner Cable has AMC in HD. Maybe TWC isn't as bad as its reputation. Did I mention that HD is free with TWC? (no, I'm not a TWC employee)

Directv could stop offering HD altogether and it still wouldn't make me go back
to TWC.

Excellent opener.
Walt is more screwed up than Jesse.
If greed is a bad addiction, then it's Walt that needs the rehab.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.