Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Once Upon A Time In China 4, 5, and 6?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-16-10, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought the Once Upon A Time In China trilogy that Sony released, but found out that there are 3 more movies in the series. Are there any plans to release the last 3 movies, or do you know where they can be purchased?
Old 03-17-10, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Once Upon A Time In China 4, 5, and 6?

the last 3 movies seem out of print everywhere. Strangely, I see there is a "Once Upon A Time in China: The Next Chapters" collection from the states, but those don't seem like the sequels...

Old 03-17-10, 11:50 AM

If you can play PAL, then there is a German DVD of the 6th movie (Once Upon A Time In China & America) that is pretty much the best release of the movie out now. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.de/Jet-Li-Once-Chi...8844233&sr=1-1

It's anamorphic, with the original audio track and English subtitles that were cleaned up. Plus it has a making of subbed in English.

There are also plans to put out the 5th film in Germany on DVD also with English subtitles but I am not sure if it is the same company. As soon as I find out, I'll post back here.

Last edited by The Running Man; 03-17-10 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-17-10, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I've never seen ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA 4 or 5. I have #5 on VCD (video compact disc), but I've never seen either of these two available on Hong Kong import DVDs in the Chinatown stores I frequent. I'm not sure about #6. I saw it on the big screen at the old Music Palace theater in New York's Chinatown, but I can't recall if I ever saw it for sale in any of the Chinatown stores. Probably because I wouldn't want to buy it anyway. It was pretty bad. Jet Li's character comes to America in the Old West and fights bad cowboys and aligns with good Indians. Sammo Hung directed--badly. Not something I'd want to see again--unless I was doing some kind of study of Hong Kong cinema's portrayal of American subjects.
Old 03-17-10, 12:40 PM

6 was released in Hong Kong a couple of times on DVD. Neither of them were great releases but they don't matter because the German DVD I mentioned makes all other releases null and void.

4 and 5 have never been released on DVD in Asian territories because Warner Brothers has the rights to them along with many other Hong Kong films. Europe is a different story though which is why 4 and 5 have been released in France and will also be put out in Germany.

I don't agree with you on part 6. It thought it was pretty good and I especially prefer it to the vaguely similarly themed, "Shanghai Noon". Part 4 IMO is the worst of the series while part 5 I enjoyed quite a bit.

As far as, "Hong Kong cinema's portrayal of American subjects" I don't see it any different or worse than Hollywood's portrayal of non-white subjects. Great example being the heavily over-rated "The Departed" with some of the most laughable "Chinese" gangsters in recent years. Chinese spoken so bad they might as well have hired a white guy and tape his eyes back while yelling, "Ching chong chang chin!" since they didn't bother to get any of it right in that movie despite it being a remake of a Hong Kong film. Cherry on top being Jack Nicholson's racist rants to their faces but the "Chinese" gangsters don't say anything back to defend themselves. Again, in a remake of a Hong Kong film.
Old 03-17-10, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 581 Likes on 431 Posts

Other than Chinatown VCDs, and/or that German DVD of Part 6, you might be out of luck. I've had VCDs of 5 and 6 for years, but was missing 4, which thankfully I found on VCD in a dusty corner of a Chinatown shop just last year (saw all three years ago between film fests and VHS, but needed the discs for a project). I'm pretty sure 4 and 5 never saw official DVD releases in Hong Kong, so finding even a VCD is a bit like finding gold, no matter what you might think of the films themselves. A co-worker won a VCD of part 5 on ebay a couple of years ago, but he had to pay through the nose for it.

Originally Posted by The Running Man
As far as, "Hong Kong cinema's portrayal of American subjects" I don't see it any different or worse than Hollywood's portrayal of non-white subjects. Great example being the heavily over-rated "The Departed" with some of the most laughable "Chinese" gangsters in recent years. Chinese spoken so bad they might as well have hired a white guy and tape his eyes back while yelling, "Ching chong chang chin!" since they didn't bother to get any of it right in that movie despite it being a remake of a Hong Kong film. Cherry on top being Jack Nicholson's racist rants to their faces but the "Chinese" gangsters don't say anything back to defend themselves. Again, in a remake of a Hong Kong film.

I do sometimes have to wonder if the perception of westerners in Hong Kong films such as (off the top of my head) IT'S A MAD MAD MAD WORLD II or THE WILD ONES, among several others, are reflective of the perception of westerners by the greater HK population itself. I mean, Chinese "movie gangsters" are one thing—Chinese friends here and in Hong Kong tell me that their portrayal in hundreds of Hong Kong movies is often a far cry from reality—but it's in the portrayals of the everyday life of cultures not their own where filmmakers on both sides often show their limitations, as suggested. There are scenes in quite a few Hong Kong movies shot here in Canada where I just cringe when I think that what I'm seeing on screen could very well be a perception held by the majority of people in Hong Kong, for all I know, in spite of the fact that Canada has one of the largest (percentage) Chinese populations anywhere. Again, MAD WORLD II springs to mind—apparently Canadians sit on lawn chairs on their porches mid-winter, and Canadian truckers kill with impunity, and Chinese-Canadians are heartless and cold! Some stereotypes are at least understandable; others are just plain illogical, and contrived with little research. Definitely goes both ways. I suspect filmmakers simply have to hope, more often than not, that the majority of the audience won't be hip to their shenanigans (as with the stuff you mention about THE DEPARTED).

Last edited by Brian T; 03-17-10 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-20-10, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just stick with 1,2,3 the others are directed by someone else.
Old 03-20-10, 08:24 AM

Knives,
no. The 5th is directed by Tsui Hark.