Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

007: Any News On More Blu for 2010?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-10, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey folks. I know there are already a couple of James Bond threads but thought it might be time to bury them and move on to new info for 2010.

So any news?

I noticed Best Buy had the Blu catalog on sale the last couple of weeks and my hope is that it means new Blu releases may be announced soon. The sale seemed to be a hit at the Best Buy nearest me. It seemed most had sold out mid-way through the second week (the first week they were actually in an ad).

There are still quite a few of my favs left to come and I sincerely hope more will be coming soon.
Old 03-16-10, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: 007: Any News On More Blu for 2010?

Yeah, the news is: don't expect to see anything until someone buys MGM.
Old 03-16-10, 10:24 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

No. MGM is done releasing Blu-rays and DVDs for some time (besides a few Theatrical releases left)
Old 03-16-10, 10:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

the latest reboot of Fame was a kick in the pants for MGM
Old 03-16-10, 10:30 PM

Hot Tube Time Machine!
Old 03-17-10, 01:02 AM

^ despite the interesting cast, the title alone sounds insanely dumb
Old 03-17-10, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh MGM, what you once were.
Old 03-17-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ChristianB
Hot Tube Time Machine!
I seriously doubt anyone can fit into one of these:
Old 03-17-10, 02:14 PM

^ well... define 'fit into'
Old 03-18-10, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Ignohippo
Hey folks. I know there are already a couple of James Bond threads but thought it might be time to bury them and move on to new info for 2010.
Threads never get buried here. Never. Post a thread about a subject that someone else remembers discussing, and I guarantee you'll find at least one response with a link to the previous thread, a complaint about your lack of skill with the search feature, and either the or emoticon. That's just how we roll here on DVD Talk.

The one exception is, you don't bump a thread in the Bargains forum that was started by Speedy1961. That's an even quicker way to invite the wrath of forum members.

Oh, and to answer your question: what Doctorossi said.
Old 03-18-10, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Threads never get buried here. Never. Post a thread about a subject that someone else remembers discussing, and I guarantee you'll find at least one response with a link to the previous thread, a complaint about your lack of skill with the search feature, and either the or emoticon. That's just how we roll here on DVD Talk.

The one exception is, you don't bump a thread in the Bargains forum that was started by Speedy1961. That's an even quicker way to invite the wrath of forum members.

Oh, and to answer your question: what Doctorossi said.
or in the usual case, the thread self destructs and goes off tangent like this one sort of did.
Old 03-18-10, 01:08 PM

Wouldn't MGM want MORE titles out there, in order to make some cash? Especially items that are sure-sellers like the Bond catalog?
Old 03-18-10, 01:12 PM

Never mind. I get it now. I didn't realize MGM was in the middle of being sold.

I have some change in the couch. Anyone else want to go in with me on MGM and EMI? It would make one hell of a media company!
Old 03-18-10, 03:21 PM

Wouldn't MGM want MORE titles out there, in order to make some cash? Especially items that are sure-sellers like the Bond catalog?
They don't have the money. The cost of remastering the unreleased blu's would be too much for them right now. They're essentially bankrupt, and only still in operation due to the extensions they keep getting on loans.
Old 03-18-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Isny
The cost of remastering the unreleased blu's would be too much for them right now.
Actually, they're all already done.
Old 03-18-10, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Never mind. I get it now. I didn't realize MGM was in the middle of being sold.

I have some change in the couch. Anyone else want to go in with me on MGM and EMI? It would make one hell of a media company!
I propose that DVD Talk creates a consortium to make this happen. I wonder what kind of movie props we'll get to own.
Old 03-18-10, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Dibs on the lion.
Old 03-18-10, 07:43 PM
Suspended

No. Less titles re-released means the studio who buys them can offer up 'new' titles on the format.
Old 03-26-10, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
No. MGM is done releasing Blu-rays and DVDs for some time (besides a few Theatrical releases left)
I guess MGM didnt get the memo saying that they were done releasing blurays and dvds then cause according to bluray.com

besides the april 6th bluray debut of Thomas Crown Affair (pierece brosnan)
MGM just announced the release of the Leonardo Dicrapio wooden acting crapfest The Man in The Iron Mask, and the classic 1968 Clint eastwood film Hang em High.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4347
Old 03-27-10, 01:33 AM
Suspended

And? These titles were likely already done and waiting. Look at MGMs track record - old MPEG2 releases announced and delayed from years before. A few here and there does not mean much. MGM won't do much until someone eats them up.
Old 03-27-10, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It could be entirely tangential, but it's been reported that Activision has scheduled a "James Bond Racing" video game for release in October. This was supposed to have been released last September. It might indicate that someone involved with the Bond property has an eye on a 007 push in the fall, which may coincide with another couple of Blu-rays.

My guess is that the restoration company (Dowry, is it?) was given a big, fat check and the entire pre-Craig catalog, with the expectation of releasing them in waves as completed. That seems to have been what they did when the compiled and issued the Ultimate Edition DVD boxed sets, at least. The Blu releases may have been halted to allow for the MGM sale, but I suspect that the products themselves are still being prepped--if not completed by now.

Of course, this is all just speculation and extrapolation on my part based entirely on the last time they re-mastered the movies for home video release and leaked information about a video game.
Old 03-27-10, 10:25 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
It could be entirely tangential, but it's been reported that Activision has scheduled a "James Bond Racing" video game for release in October. This was supposed to have been released last September. It might indicate that someone involved with the Bond property has an eye on a 007 push in the fall, which may coincide with another couple of Blu-rays.

My guess is that the restoration company (Dowry, is it?) was given a big, fat check and the entire pre-Craig catalog, with the expectation of releasing them in waves as completed. That seems to have been what they did when the compiled and issued the Ultimate Edition DVD boxed sets, at least. The Blu releases may have been halted to allow for the MGM sale, but I suspect that the products themselves are still being prepped--if not completed by now.

Of course, this is all just speculation and extrapolation on my part based entirely on the last time they re-mastered the movies for home video release and leaked information about a video game.
MGM will be sold in the next month or two, so it may or may not be possible for whatever studio is controlling MGMs catalog (or just the Bond titles) to get those titles out. But I still think they (whoever it may be) will hold bak the remaining 9 for the next Theatrical Bond film. Man...I hope it's Warner or Sony that gets 'em.
Old 03-28-10, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And? These titles were likely already done and waiting. Look at MGMs track record - old MPEG2 releases announced and delayed from years before. A few here and there does not mean much. MGM won't do much until someone eats them up.
It does fly in the face of your repeated comments about them not releasing ANY blurays or DVDs in the near future.
Old 03-29-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

MGM recently released To Live and Die in L.A. with a new AVC encode, despite having released an MPEG-2 Blu-ray in Japan back in 2008.
Old 03-29-10, 11:32 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
It does fly in the face of your repeated comments about them not releasing ANY blurays or DVDs in the near future.
Because they are putting out a few more (or atleast announced some dates)? Sure. Go for it. They still have a few Theatrical titles that may or may not make it out before the impending sale. But in a whole, don't expect much of anything from MGM. They are not actively releasing titles. I'm sure people are just dying to get their hands on those 2 MGM releases

Just like that Grindhouse set that was supposed to come out last year. Don;t hold your breath from studios that may or may be able to release in a week or two. Final bids for MGM are underway right now, and any studio that buys them up may halt any release coming out.

Originally Posted by Josh Z
MGM recently released To Live and Die in L.A. with a new AVC encode, despite having released an MPEG-2 Blu-ray in Japan back in 2008.
Which was certainly a good thing, but it still got hit with the 'special features on included DVD only' aspect (which means it was likely prepared in 2006/2007 when MGM was barebones). It was just a quick money grab, like the recent DVD/BD Combo DVD releases they've done.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.