Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Missing Blu-Ray Features

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Missing Blu-Ray Features

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 06:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Missing Blu-Ray Features

Have you ever been really excited to hear one of your favourite movies was finally coming to blu-ray, but then got severely disappointed when you found that none or very few of the great features you enjoyed from the dvd weren't on the blu-ray ? Which movies has this happened to you with ? For me, it's probably T2, Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters II, and especially A Knight's Tale. On A Knight's Tale, I heard the picture quality is a bit better, as is the sound, but there are absolutely no features at all.
Old 03-15-10, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Missing Blu-Ray Features

I'll go with Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut. Why Fox couldn't have ported over the massive amount of features is beyond me.
Old 03-15-10, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know Ghostbusters II was even available on Blu-Ray.
Old 03-15-10, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by BobSchlapowitz
I didn't know Ghostbusters II was even available on Blu-Ray.
It's not. Maybe is available outside North America?
Old 03-15-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I'll go with Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut. Why Fox couldn't have ported over the massive amount of features is beyond me.
Bear in mind that KOH was one of Fox's very first BD releases, way back in the BD stone age of November 2006....at that time, they were just starting out, initial disc costs were higher (there was not ANY two disc BD release yet), and they were only using MPEG-2 compression which is not very efficient, hence why a 3 hour and 15 minute film with a lossless soundtrack would take up most of a BD50 dual layer disc.....

IF it had not been released at that time, and instead came out today (where the cost of discs has significantly decreased and better AVC compression is now used), I'd imagine it would be a two disc set with all of the extras from the 4 disc DVD release....
Old 03-15-10, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Bear in mind that KOH was one of Fox's very first BD releases, way back in the BD stone age of November 2006....at that time, they were just starting out, initial disc costs were higher (there was not ANY two disc BD release yet), and they were only using MPEG-2 compression which is not very efficient, hence why a 3 hour and 15 minute film with a lossless soundtrack would take up most of a BD50 dual layer disc.....

IF it had not been released at that time, and instead came out today (where the cost of discs has significantly decreased and better AVC compression is now used), I'd imagine it would be a two disc set with all of the extras from the 4 disc DVD release....
True. Just wish they had held off on releasing it as new technology normally starts off high before coming down in price.
Old 03-15-10, 08:34 PM
Cool New Member

Cast Away -The special features were great on the DVD version..one of the few where I actually watched all of them and the Blu is about as bare as you can get. Total bummer. Having said that I'm not a big special feature guy, half the time I don't even watch them and if I do only once. This is the only one thats bugged me so far.
Old 03-15-10, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Terminator 2. I now have to own 3 copys,the Ultimate & Extreme DVD Editions,and the Skynet Blu-Ray edition.
Old 03-15-10, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Litfuel716
Cast Away - the Blu is about as bare as you can get.
Please, tell that to Warner's recent release of "The Neverending Story" or some of their new double feature discs which have literally NO extras...considering that Cast Away at least has a commentary, a trivia track, and the trailer, it seems loaded in comparison....
Old 03-16-10, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ghostbusters II isnt availble on bluray.
Old 03-16-10, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/528...sd-extras.html

Haven't updated in awhile, but studios have mostly gotten better at porting the bonus features, so I would think it's still 65% complete, at least.
Old 03-20-10, 09:35 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/528...sd-extras.html

Haven't updated in awhile, but studios have mostly gotten better at porting the bonus features, so I would think it's still 65% complete, at least.
Really? It seems to me that 90% of all blu-ray releases are missing something from one of the DVD releases.
Old 03-24-10, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I was disappointed that Warner didn't bring over the Scorsese on Scorsese TCM feature from The Departed Two-Disc Special Edition DVD to the Blu-ray release. I've kept the DVD just for this, and it irritates me because I've actually enjoyed removing DVDs from our library once they've been upgraded to Blu-ray. I just can't bring myself to give up this one, even knowing I'm very unlikely to re-watch it.

The flip side to this thread, though, is that I don't think I'd miss nearly any of the bonus material from Paramount's 2-disc versions of the Star Trek movies. Those were about the most inane features I've ever encountered. One that I recall was just an interview with a handful of novelists discussing non-canonical works. Although, I did kind of enjoy the featurette on The Search for Spock about the guy who crafted the bladed weapons for that and other movies. A longtime friend of mine was married to his niece for several years.
Old 03-24-10, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Spider-Man trilogy BR set that ported over none of the extras from movies 1 and 2.

That's just wrong.

As for that Star Trek set, I'm amazed not only that pretty much everything got ported over (I think one thing's missing from TWOK) but all the new stuff they added.
Old 03-24-10, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
The Spider-Man trilogy BR set that ported over none of the extras from movies 1 and 2.

That's just wrong.
I was unaware of this. That makes that box set even more irritating than I thought, because I remember being irked that the DVD version only included the single-disc version of Spider-Man 3 to go with the double-disc versions of the others. Sony was just determined to botch that box set!

As for that Star Trek set, I'm amazed not only that pretty much everything got ported over (I think one thing's missing from TWOK) but all the new stuff they added.
The only feature I thought was mandatory to port over was Shatner's commentary for Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, in which he bitches for 2 hours about how the studio completely sabotaged him every step of the way, from the low budget to a minimal advertising campaign. It varies from being pitiable to laughable, but by the end I have to say he convinced me that it was supposed to have been a much more rewarding movie to see.