Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

More 3D News (including First Look: Panasonic's 3D Blu-ray Player and 3D HDTV )

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

3D Blu-ray Players and TVs Are Go for Launch http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4271

All Shrek Movies on 3D Blu-ray in 2010, Exclusive with Samsung (Update: for One Year) http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4268

Deluxe Launches Blu-ray 3D Services http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4270
Old 03-11-10, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

re: More 3D News (including First Look: Panasonic's 3D Blu-ray Player and 3D HDTV )

Onkyo Introduces the World's First THX Certified 3D-Ready A/V Receiver

03/10/10- The Onkyo TX-SR608 THX-Certified A/V Receiver one of several HDMI v1.4, 3D-Ready A/V Receivers and Home Theater Systems that will ship in March and April.

UPPER SADDLE RIVER, NJ, (3/9/10) -- Onkyo USA has announced March deliveries of its first 3D-Ready home theater receivers and home theater in a box (HTiB) systems. The new models consist of three A/V receivers and three HTiB systems ranging in price from $299 to $599, and all of them support the new HDMI 1.4 connectivity standard for new 3D video displays and Audio Return Channel capabilities. All are exceptionally well equipped to provide a superior music, home theater sound and video experience, with high build-quality and offering excellent value.

For Onkyo, a name that translates roughly to 'sound harmony' in Japanese, sound quality is preeminent. All these new receivers and HTiBs now decode lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio bitstreams, and include new 192-kHz/24-bit Burr-Brown PCM1690 DAC's that are highly resistant to clock jitter and provide a remarkable 113-dB dynamic range. The lineup includes Onkyo's new easy-to-setup overlaid onscreen graphical display that lets the user watch the program in the background while using the function menus. Additionally, all 2010 HDMI v1.4 models include a new feature call HDMI Thru. HDMI Thru allows content to pass through to the TV when the receiver is in a standby state.

The new TX-SR608 7.2-channel THX-Select2 Plus certified receiver has new power amplifier section that uses three-stage inverted Darlington output topology, and a power boost from 90 to 100 watts. Audyssey DSX dimensional sound processing has been added to its predecessor's Dolby PLIIz capabilities. Additionally, all video sources, including those using the new PC input, and regardless of source resolution, can be upscaled to big and beautiful 1080p via HDMI and Faroudja DCDi Cinema™. The TX-SR608 will also include a front HDMI input, a feature first introduced by Onkyo in 2009. The TX-SR608 will be available in April at an MSRP of $599.

The 5.1-channel TX-SR308 and 7.1-channel TX-SR508 round out this initial announcement of A/V Receivers from Onkyo. The TX-SR308 will be available in March with an MSRP of $299, a followed by the TX-SR508 in April for $399.

The HTiB package systems, which each consist of a receiver, speakers and a subwoofer, are the 5.1-channel HT-S3300 and 7.1-channel HT-S5300; the latter also includes an iPod dock. Thanks to the HDMI interface and the use of advanced Dolby and DTS codecs, all of these receivers and systems are also capable of decoding lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. The HT-S3300 will ship in March with an MSRP of $379, followed by the HT-S5300 in April for $599.

A third packaged system departs from the traditional HTiB form factor and uses a combination subwoofer and 3D Ready A/V receiver plus two front speakers. It uses Onkyo’s own Theater-Dimensional processor to create an immersive and convincing surround effect through just 2.1 channels. The HTX-22HDX has three HDMI v1.4 inputs, handles HD audio formats from DTS and Dolby; offers four distinct audio modes for gaming; and outputs for additional speakers. The HTX-22HDX will ship in May with a $349 MSRP.

"Onkyo's 2010 entry-level product line represents a significant jump over last year's line," said Paul Wasek, Onkyo USA's marketing manager. "We are excited to deliver this first wave of 3D capable products. By upgrading to 1.4, even on the least expensive HTiB, we have eliminated all HDMI pass-through products and allowed HD audio formats to be used across the line. The fact that consumers can now buy a THX-Certified receiver with 1080p upscaling, Burr-Brown DACs, PC input and more for under $600 shows Onkyo's clear commitment to delivering performance and value to consumers."

All of Onkyo's receivers offer exceptional connectivity options with as many as six HDMI inputs, plus component and composite video, numerous stereo input jacks, optical/coaxial digital inputs, and the popular front-panel connections on many models. Two models include Sirius Radio connections, and all these receivers incorporate Onkyo's proprietary Universal Port (U-Port) connector which simplifies connections to optional HD Radio tuners and iPod Docks (included with the HT-S5300).

Since 1946 Onkyo has been passionately committed to developing audio products that deliver uncommon performance, quality and value. Bundling proprietary technologies and innovations with other sound-enhancing exclusives, Onkyo continues to created award winning products that are lauded by many of the industry leading audio publications. The company's philosophy is to deliver products that are superbly designed and built to a consistently outstanding standard of excellence. Today, Onkyo is at the forefront of the home theater and digital revolutions. For more information about this and other fine Onkyo products, visit www.onkyousa.com or call 800-229-1687.
http://www.us.onkyo.com/press_releases.cfm?id=181
Old 03-11-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
re: More 3D News (including First Look: Panasonic's 3D Blu-ray Player and 3D HDTV )

Are there really going to be that many people buying into this crap?
Old 03-11-10, 02:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Lord I hope not. I have yet to see any demonstrations that make me want to buy into any of this.
Old 03-11-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Are there really going to be that many people buying into this crap?
I'm sure a lot of people have said that statement before ....

usually bites you in the ass.
Old 03-11-10, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd go for it if Onkyo allowed me to trade in my 705 for a similar receiver with 1.4 hdmi. But not for the models they just announced.
Old 03-11-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not too quick to assume it'll fail. But I do think it'll do better business in gaming than in movies.

I'm just gonna stick to my plan of waiting until three generations for them to iron out the kinks and for prices to lower somewhat.
Old 03-11-10, 04:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

[spoiled child]but I want Shrek 1 and 2 - now!!!![/spoiled child]
Old 03-12-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I'm sure a lot of people have said that statement before ....

usually bites you in the ass.
Buying into something like Blu-ray, which can provide a vastly superior image to DVD, is one thing. Retrofitting your entire home theater for a theatrical gimmick that is now being used to convert old, non-3-D films in an effort to get consumers to re-buy everything they already own, is another.
Old 03-12-10, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember a bunch of guys standing around the Laserdisc store talking about how DVD is pointless, it probably won't take-off, etc. Why...because they thought they had enough to satisfy them and couldn't imagine how other people might think differently. We all know how that ended up.
Old 03-12-10, 11:15 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I remember a bunch of guys standing around the Laserdisc store talking about how DVD is pointless, it probably won't take-off, etc. Why...because they thought they had enough to satisfy them and couldn't imagine how other people might think differently. We all know how that ended up.

3D is a different beast. It has, as of right now, about 50 titles total that could be ready for the years end. And that's it. Studios have to go back and make 'old' titles 3D, or continue to retrofit newer releases to 3D, for as long as that fad lasts. You also need a new TV. And receiver. And Blu-ray player. And Glasses.

Comparing Laserdisc to DVD is not a valid option. DVD already had tens of thousands of movies 'ready', 3D has 50 - MAX. And from the current schedule, unless 3D TV sales take off like crazy, only a few studios have plans for about 5 movies by the end of the year. Disney has 5 total, and 3 of them are already ON Blu-ray TODAY (which they still havn't announced, but the three are pretty obvious). Two studios are sitting out the 3D non-sense...or so it seems so far.

Last edited by Gizmo; 03-12-10 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-12-10, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Furthermore - 3D in the theaters where the image is taking up the majority of your field of vision is what makes it so appealing. That is not possible/feasible in the home for the vast majority of people out there, regardless of equipment.

And I sure as hell don't want to wear glasses when I'm plopped on my couch, not to mention having to keep my head straight, as if I lean to the side even a little, the effect is gone.
Old 03-12-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad I missed that period of paying $250 for a Japanese import of a film on a disc the size of a record that needs to be flipped 4 times and includes... a trailer! DVDs/Blu-rays are the right size at the right price with the right content. The only thing that will succeed them is downloading.
Old 03-12-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember a bunch of guys standing around the videogame store talking about how the Virtual Boy is pointless, it probably won't take-off, etc. Why...because they thought they had enough to satisfy them and couldn't imagine how other people might think differently. We all know how that ended up.
Old 03-12-10, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cluster... Something that rhymes with "buck"...

Supposedly Samsung 3D Blu-ray players currently on sale at Best Buy don't work in regards to 3D content

Consumers ready to jump on the 3D bandwagon may want to wait... at least in regards to Samsung's new 3D Blu-ray players. Reports are beginning to surface that the company's 3D Blu-ray players currently up for sale at Best Buy aren't working. Samsung may be forced to recall the devices and offer a program or firmware to modify current 3D Blu-ray players residing in consumer homes.

Of course, it's hard to test the new technology thanks to a lack of 3D Blu-ray movies on the market. However testing is currently underway with 3D Blu-ray movies--those compliant with industry standards--that are now being prepared for mass distribution. While it seems that the movies play normally on the 3D Blu-ray players, the 3D aspect does not.

The problem is that Samsung's 3D Blu-ray players hit the market before the Blu-ray Disc Association issued its final certification specs. As Hollywood in HiDef reports, products released now by any company not "intimately" engaged in the day-to-day revisions and tweaks of the format will be guessing at the final approved standard. In this case, Samsung guessed incorrectly, leaving the 3D aspect useless.

A Samsung spokesperson told the site that the company is in the process "of finalizing full certification at the authorized testing center." The next step is for the BDA to provide manufacturers with test discs of the new and final 3D specification. Samsung will use these discs to confirm certification. “Samsung is confident that the new 3D Blu-ray player will pass certification once the process is complete," the spokesperson added. Samsung also said that current 3D Blu-ray players on the market should pass certification as well despite previous reports.

Samsung is expected to make a big 3D announcement today, so stay tuned.
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Samsung-...news-6060.html

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-12-10 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-12-10, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Who the hell's buying these things without a single thing to watch on them - is there even something in the near horizon?
Old 03-12-10, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Furthermore - 3D in the theaters where the image is taking up the majority of your field of vision is what makes it so appealing. That is not possible/feasible in the home for the vast majority of people out there, regardless of equipment.

And I sure as hell don't want to wear glasses when I'm plopped on my couch, not to mention having to keep my head straight, as if I lean to the side even a little, the effect is gone.
I wouldn't mind seeing the occasional film in 3D at home, but the costs for that are just not reasonable. New TV, new receiver, new player possibly (not sure about the PS3) and $100 or so for each pair of glasses. Just not happening in my house.
Old 03-12-10, 07:20 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Who the hell's buying these things without a single thing to watch on them - is there even something in the near horizon?
They play Blu-rays as well. They will just get an update in the future to 'unlock' 3D play. Sony has players out right now as well that will do it.
Old 03-12-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup. But the problem is that the Samsung players don't meet the FHD3D spec. It seems a firmware update won't do the trick in their case.
Old 03-12-10, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a screw up. Why does it seem so much more simple with 3D games, where Sony can just throw something into a regular update and make the PS3 adopt a trait previously thought to be reserved for 'next gen' consoles for free?
Old 03-13-10, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Samsung issue was addressed earlier today:

Samsung's 3D Blu-ray player passed certification despite previous reports of incompatibility.

Yesterday Samsung sent over an email in response to our article about its current 3D Blu-ray players not working. The story centered on 3D Blu-ray movies functioning incorrectly on the players--movies that were ready for mass production and have not yet hit the market.

Supposedly the Blu-ray players were incompatible because they were shipped before the final certification specs were released by the Blu-ray Disc Association. The previous report also stated that the players were on sale at Best Buy, and that Samsung may need to recall the stock while providing a firmware upgrade plan for current customers.

However Thursday a Samsung representative clarified the picture. The Samsung BD-C6900 is the only device in question, and the rep assured us that the player has indeed passed all tests "based on the Blu-ray 3D test specification of the BDA issued to date." This means that the BD-C6900 has officially obtained Blu-ray 3D certification, and it may be that the Blu-ray movies used to unofficially test the player were incorrect.

"Samsung is fully committed to upholding all technology standards issued by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), said Samsung in an official statement. "The Samsung Blu-ray player (BD-C6900) has passed all tests based on Blu-ray 3D test specification of BDA issued to date, and has officially obtained Blu-ray 3D certification at the authorized Testing Center. Samsung products that were shipped to the US prior to receiving final certification are 100% certified and do not require any modifications to play Blu-ray 3D discs."

Strangely enough, the Samsung BD-C6900 is nowhere to be found on Best Buy's website, however the new BD-C5500 and BD-C6500 are available to purchase... both without 3D capabilities but feature Internet and Wi-Fi connectivity.
Source: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Samsung-...players&xtcr=2

Also contrary to the article, the Samsung BD-C6900 model is available for sale on Best Buy's website.

Here's some more 3D info, including Panasonic doing a tour in the next couple weeks in 15 major cities to showcase their 3D home entertainment system if anyone is interested.
Old 03-13-10, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting. Weird that so much conflicting information keeps popping up. Was it like this when BD first started up?

Great link at the end of your post, snausages.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-13-10 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-13-10, 04:14 AM

Apparently Monsters vs. Aliens 3d is already available and comes bundled w/ Samsung glasses. Strange also that no one (including media) could have just thrown that in the BD 6900 and confirmed out the gate that the player was compatible.
Old 03-13-10, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Interesting. Weird that so much conflicting information keeps popping up. Was it like this when BD first started up?

Great link at the end of your post, snausages.
Thanks! It's a lot of info but does provide a better understanding of the 3D technology.

Honestly, I think that whenever a new format appears, it does take them a while to work out the kinks. As much as I am a fan of 3D, I think it would be better to wait and actually see the finished product minus the initial headaches with the first batch released. That way less headaches. I will try to check out some of their demos too.
Old 03-14-10, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

3D TV's & Blu Ray players

How many people are really going to want to have to constantly put on a stupid pair of glasses to watch 3D content? And what about people who wear eyeglasses for vision correction? Glasses over glasses is lame - and uncomfortable, and impractical.

It's just a money grab - and to do it while Blu Ray is making headway into the market is just ludicrous.

I will not buy a 3D TV. I love Blu Ray and HDTV, but 3D? Totally unnecessary. I have zero interest in 3D.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.