Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What's a "Sony Giant Screen Digital" Theater?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-10, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to catch Avatar on IMAX tomorrow before Alice takes it's place. The IMAX theater I've always attended is in Tampa, but since last I went (probably Transformers 2) it's been rebranded as a "Sony Giant Screen Digital" Theater, here's the link: http://www.fandango.com/channelsides...?date=3/4/2010

I'm trying to figure out how that relates to an IMAX theater, it still says it's showing in Digital 3D, but I can't google a definition. There's an IMAX theater that just opened in Orlando inside the Universal Studios Citywalk that's my backup, but that hasn't earned too many rave reviews either.

Anybody know anything specific about the difference?
Old 03-03-10, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: What's a "Sony Giant Screen Digital" Theater?

It's digital. Don't go to it. You will be wasting your money.
Old 03-03-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Blu Man
Shit. I know that IMAX runs off of those big ass plates of film, but for some reason it never triggers in my brain that's not digital. Thanks for the reminder.

I wonder why they would take out the IMAX, that really limits the choices around here.
Old 03-03-10, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you in the Orlando area? Why not hit up the Regal Pointe Orlando 20 I think it's called. While the other theatres inside the complex are pretty tiny, it's a good sized Imax screen plus free parking with validation in the parking garage.

Saw A Christmas Carol there a few months ago and it was awesome.
Old 03-03-10, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dcprules
Are you in the Orlando area? Why not hit up the Regal Pointe Orlando 20 I think it's called. While the other theatres inside the complex are pretty tiny, it's a good sized Imax screen plus free parking with validation in the parking garage.

Saw A Christmas Carol there a few months ago and it was awesome.
After a great deal of googling, I found an awesome map on lfexaminer.com that outlines the type of "IMAX" screen each theater has by city: http://lfexaminer.com/ImaxMapUS.htm

So according to that map, I will be attending the Regal Point 20 tomorrow . Thanks for the suggestion, it probably would have been easier just to ask what's the best IMAX screen in the Central Florida area.

It sucks that they took the Tampa Channelside IMAX system out. I read that the theater was designed specifically for IMAX, I wonder why the hell they would convert to digital without the branding.

Last edited by BravesMG; 03-03-10 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-05-10, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Blu Man
I assume you're saying that because you're thinking it's a LIEMAX screen. However, this one is not. It's a full size IMAX screen that Channelside has used with IMAX film for a while now. Apparently, they fitted a Sony 4K projector to use the IMAX screen instead of the IMAX film projector. I think the primary reason to do this is for the 3D. As good as IMAX film is, the 3D kinda sucks compared to RealD or Dolby 3D. You can see that they are advertising it as still a 70' screen on their site:

http://www.channelsideimax.com/

In regards to the OP's original purpose of the post, it doesn't matter anyway. Channelside never showed Avatar on their IMAX screen. It was only available on a 4K standard size screen. To see it in IMAX, you had to go the Orlando theater, which also has one of the largest IMAX screens in the country.

For reference, I saw Avatar 3 times - Channelside 4K, Orlando IMAX and Dolby 3D at the Beacon Theaters in Spring Hill. Odd about the Dolby 3D, as that theater is out in a rural area and was the only one besides way over in Melbourne that offers it. Sony 4K and Dolby 3D were about the same in quality, but I preferred the 4K because it was a nicer theater. And quality wise, the IMAX version was noticeably worse. The artifacts on the 3D were way too distracting - and this is coming from someone who tries to see everything in IMAX.
Old 03-06-10, 02:17 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IMAX 3D uses linear 3D, which means that if you tilt or turn your head off-center, the 3D breaks down. Digital 3D is circular, which means the 3D doesn't break down no matter how you twist or turn your head. But if you keep your head in the sweet spot, I think IMAX 3D looks fantastic.