Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Best place to buy matte photo paper?

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Old 02-28-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I've got a Canon inkjet printer on the way to my house. Is matte photo paper my best bet or is there something out there cheaper that might be also pretty good? And what is the most cost effective way of ordering paper?

I used to work at Kinko's and I was very happy with the results I got from using the 28lb laser paper we carried, would 28lb inkjet paper be the same thing, or would that just be slight thicker regular paper?

I saw HP has a 120g 32lb presentation paper that isn't too pricey, has anyone had any experience with that? This is what I'm leaning towards since I can get it for $11 for 150 sheets.
http://www.amazon.com/Hewlett-Packar...7410103&sr=8-1

Last edited by Dr. Phibes; 02-28-10 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-01-10, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Best place to buy matte photo paper?

Mostly it depends on what you are using the prints for. I use Pro Photo Paper for stuff which I am going to put in a frame and hang on the wall. I use High Resolution Paper for printing replacement DVD Cover Art I use Matte Photo Paper for stuff which I am going to be showing to a bunch of people and know that fingers are going to be all over the print.

As to prices and places to buy - can't help you - I am in Japan and it's all very easily accessible here.
Old 03-04-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I too have a Canon Inkjet. I use matte photo paper for printing replacement covers. I've found that it seems to provide the best results. Also, in my printer, HP photo paper doesnt look as good as canon paper. So i just use the Canon paper.
Old 03-04-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Forgot to actually address the OPs question. I buy my paper at local stores, usually staples. Havent really looked into buying it online to get a cheaper price though.
Old 03-05-10, 01:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read somewhere that when you print dvd covers, the size of the paper isn't right and you have to do something to make it print right. Is this true ? I've never printed covers before.
Old 03-05-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
I read somewhere that when you print dvd covers, the size of the paper isn't right and you have to do something to make it print right. Is this true ? I've never printed covers before.
Not true as long as you are printing a standard width or thinpak cover. They print just fine on a standard 8.5x11 sheet of paper.
Old 03-21-10, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Phibes
I saw HP has a 120g 32lb presentation paper that isn't too pricey, has anyone had any experience with that? This is what I'm leaning towards since I can get it for $11 for 150 sheets.
http://www.amazon.com/Hewlett-Packar...7410103&sr=8-1
I print a lot of covers and I actually just recently bought that exact paper from amazon. I did not have any luck with it at all. I had always used glossy photo paper in the past but thought I would try matte for a change. Anyway I went back to Amazon and found one that I really like. It's HP but it's semi-gloss instead of matte. 100 sheets for $12.17 shipped FREE with Amazon Prime. BTW my printer is an Epson RX-680. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

HP Photo Paper