Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Joss Whedon and Eliza Dushku Teaming For Feature Film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-10, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

I saw the following posted over at Blu-ray.com:

Originally Posted by GreenScar

Though their recently deceased TV series Dollhouse was not the ratings hit it perhaps should have been, definitely when you consider the heights it ultimately reached in creative terms, the signs are good for an imminent upcoming collaboration between geek god Joss Whedon and his buttock-whupper muse Eliza Dushku.

Dushku was stopped last night on the red carpet for the Discovery Channel?s Life, and before she got to discussing her plans with Joss, she had to answer the inevitable going-nowhere question on Ghostbusters 3:

I don?t know anything, I don?t have a script ? it?s still a rumor thing right now. But I would be excited to do it!
Then, though, she spilled on the Whedon hook-up:

I would say that we would [be working on something new very soon]! I think we?re going to work on a kickass feature together that we?ve been thinking about for a few years.
A few years? Could this be Whedon?s long-discussed horror movie, Goners?

I?d certainly be pleased if it was. There?s been so many hints dropped about that movie over the years, with very little solid information actually yielded, that I?ve been curious enough for long enough that I just want the beans to spill already.

Here?s a few of those hints, in Joss quotes on loan from the Wikipedia page of the proposed picture:

It is a fantasy thriller, it is pretty dark and it?s all me. So people will pretty much know what that means if they look at my body of work. But it?s a new universe set in the present day with a new concept for me and a new bunch of characters. It?s been a long time since I got to do that, so that?s really fun.
It?s the story of a young woman?s journey that involves a great deal of horror and some heroics.
More in the Buffy-mode of discovering strength than in the sense of, ?I?ve had strength for so long that I?m losing my sense of people who don?t.
Colour me intrigued. A bright and vibrant shade of intrigued too.

Of course, there?s every chance to Whedon and Dushku are planning something completely different, a new story that we?ve not even had teased for us yet. Despite my less than overflowing confidence in Cabin in the Woods, I?m still a huge and passionate fan of Whedon, so whatever film he?s wanting to make, I?m wanting to see.

Okay, so I mainly wanted to post the pick.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/2959244-post1.html
Old 02-27-10, 07:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Joss Whedon and Eliza Dushku Teaming For Feature Film

I remember back in '99 when so many people thought Eliza was going to be going places. She was one of the most popular characters on that show.

Seems Allison and Sarah ate up all the glory while Charisma bombed out altogether. I don't remember Charisma in any of projects or feature films past two Whedon shows and a few guest spots on Veronica Mars.

Eliza seems to now be living her life through Joss Whedon -- who himself isn't even that popular anymore. I don't know... Maybe Whedon just has the hots for her. Whedon's most popular project was writing and story editor for Roseanne -- as that had much, much higher ratings than Buffy or any of his shows. Although he hated working for her and she eventually fired everyone anyway. He quit -- or was fired (whatever) -- fairly early on from what I remember.

(Once Roseanne got full control over her on show, eventually, she virtually destroyed it with fantasy plots, flamboyant gay stereotypes, and a lesbian fruitcake Jackie with a bad haircut. She even considered making Darlene gay too. Seasons 7-9 are truly awful, and every previous season is a masterpiece in comparison.)

Even Buffy (Whedon's highest rated show), at its top, was more of a niche show! Good ratings for the WB, but would have been quickly canceled off any of the main networks.

Charisma was cute back in the day, but she's not really a good actress.

Eliza isn't really suited for lead roles. She can't really hold up a show.

I don't know -- I just don't think we'll be seeing Eliza attached to much without the Whedon name? How much longer is his popularity even going to last anymore? He's more of a niche anymore than anything. It's like that guy from high school that everyone forgot about unless his name is mentioned in passing once every 20 years or so.
Old 02-27-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

I'm not going to defend Charisma's acting ability, but didn't she sort of drop out of the business to have a baby and raise it?
Old 02-28-10, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I predict Groucho will post his disapproval.
Old 02-28-10, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hope it's an adult feature film.
Old 02-28-10, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocacoladude78
I remember back in '99 when so many people thought Eliza was going to be going places. She was one of the most popular characters on that show.

Seems Allison and Sarah ate up all the glory while Charisma bombed out altogether. I don't remember Charisma in any of projects or feature films past two Whedon shows and a few guest spots on Veronica Mars.

Eliza seems to now be living her life through Joss Whedon -- who himself isn't even that popular anymore. I don't know... Maybe Whedon just has the hots for her. Whedon's most popular project was writing and story editor for Roseanne -- as that had much, much higher ratings than Buffy or any of his shows. Although he hated working for her and she eventually fired everyone anyway. He quit -- or was fired (whatever) -- fairly early on from what I remember.

(Once Roseanne got full control over her on show, eventually, she virtually destroyed it with fantasy plots, flamboyant gay stereotypes, and a lesbian fruitcake Jackie with a bad haircut. She even considered making Darlene gay too. Seasons 7-9 are truly awful, and every previous season is a masterpiece in comparison.)

Even Buffy (Whedon's highest rated show), at its top, was more of a niche show! Good ratings for the WB, but would have been quickly canceled off any of the main networks.

Charisma was cute back in the day, but she's not really a good actress.

Eliza isn't really suited for lead roles. She can't really hold up a show.

I don't know -- I just don't think we'll be seeing Eliza attached to much without the Whedon name? How much longer is his popularity even going to last anymore? He's more of a niche anymore than anything. It's like that guy from high school that everyone forgot about unless his name is mentioned in passing once every 20 years or so.

This looks more like a "I don't understand the appeal of Whedon" post than something relevant to the topic. You seem to crap on everything he's been associated with, and then add some about a show that has nothing to do with anything else. FWIW, a lot of good shows would have been canceled off a major network if that's where they debuted; I doubt Battlestar Galactica would have made it past its mini-series.
Old 02-28-10, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kory
I agree. Other than that, what else does she have to offer?
Old 02-28-10, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I say James Cameron should cancel any notions of an AVATAR sequel (the story concluded quite nicely) and instead get Eliza, Jamie Lee, and Arnold back for a True Lies sequel.
Old 02-28-10, 09:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I predict Groucho will post his disapproval.
There's nothing to approve or disapprove here. All we know is the director and the lead actor. That's not enough to get me excited either way.
Old 02-28-10, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I say James Cameron should cancel any notions of an AVATAR sequel (the story concluded quite nicely) and instead get Eliza, Jamie Lee, and Arnold back for a True Lies sequel.
Fuck - yes.
Old 02-28-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Fuck - yes.
I agree. Given the age of Arnold and Jamie Lee, not to mention the fact that they seem to have interests other than acting at this point, they could do cameos and Eliza could maybe be the one carrying on the family tradition. She's proven she can do action.
Old 02-28-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I recall that Jamie Lee and Eliza are good friends and in an interview years ago she expressed interest in a sequel with Eliza in a prominent action-centric role. So it could happen if Cameron agrees.
Old 02-28-10, 11:08 AM

If Joss Whedon feels the need to work with someone that has been on one of his shows why not pick someone that can act? He has several actresses to choose from.
Old 02-28-10, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That there Eliza sure is purdy.

Old 02-28-10, 11:13 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by yoshimi
If Joss Whedon feels the need to work with someone that has been on one of his shows why not pick someone that can act? He has several actresses to choose from.
I can think of worse ideas. For example, putting her on a show that requires her to emote an entirely new personality each week.
Old 02-28-10, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
I can think of worse ideas. For example, putting her on a show that requires her to emote an entirely new personality each week.
I have a feeling that would get canceled after 26 episodes.
Old 02-28-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I'm not going to defend Charisma's acting ability, but didn't she sort of drop out of the business to have a baby and raise it?
Her post Buffy career high point was showing her perplexingly purple nips in Playboy.
Old 02-28-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
This looks more like a "I don't understand the appeal of Whedon" post than something relevant to the topic. You seem to crap on everything he's been associated with, and then add some about a show that has nothing to do with anything else. FWIW, a lot of good shows would have been canceled off a major network if that's where they debuted; I doubt Battlestar Galactica would have made it past its mini-series.
I agree. He obviously is not a fan of Whedon.

Eliza, though likeable, doesn't have the Acting chops to carry a movie (or a TV show) but it should be interesting to see what they do together....again.
Amy Acker would be a better choice since she has shown her acting talent quite nicely.
Old 02-28-10, 02:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I couldn't continue reading that article past "Although Dollhouse was not the ratings hit it should have been..." because that show was insufferably bad.
Old 02-28-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I didn't even remember Dushku was in True Lies. Been a few years and I didn't know her back then.
Old 02-28-10, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

She was the bratty daughter. Really nothing to look at back then. I don't find her much to look at now but she has come a long way since then.
Old 02-28-10, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Kory
Yes, yes, YES!!!
Old 02-28-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I recall that Jamie Lee and Eliza are good friends and in an interview years ago she expressed interest in a sequel with Eliza in a prominent action-centric role. So it could happen if Cameron agrees.
While her acting chops aren't Oscar caliber, I think Eliza could definitely handle an action role. The question is: would the sequel have to be in 3D, since Cameron seems to refuse to shoot any other way? Also, why would Cameron want to make a True Lies sequel? I seem to recall reading that he was interested post-Titanic, but I think that has changed.
Old 02-28-10, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This is news. I can wait.
Old 03-01-10, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
While her acting chops aren't Oscar caliber, I think Eliza could definitely handle an action role. The question is: would the sequel have to be in 3D, since Cameron seems to refuse to shoot any other way? Also, why would Cameron want to make a True Lies sequel? I seem to recall reading that he was interested post-Titanic, but I think that has changed.
I know Cameron has said isn't interested anymore because of the Muslim terrorists angle. This is wishful thinking on my part.

I feel that there are any number of antagonists he can create. Just make it a fictional country or a multinational terrorist organization. If it's in 3D, so be it. AVATAR had plenty of 2D showings so no one need be forced to watch a True Lies sequel in 3D.

The only requirements are over-the-top R-rated action, plenty of Arnie one-liners, great humour, and Eliza doing a homage to Jamie Lee's dance from the first movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.