Reload this Page >

Fix satellite signal during snow storm?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-25-10, 04:28 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

getting hit hard in NY and just wondering if there is something i can physically do to restore signal to DirecTV.

perhaps if the dish was covered with snow that would cause it to lose signal and i can try and manually remove it?

just curious...
Old 02-25-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Fix satellite signal during snow storm?

Our last storm I just hard to wait for it to melt off. Even THEN I'd be fine during the day and screwed when it refroze. You may just have to wait it out.
Old 02-25-10, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually sweeping the snow off the dish will work. If there's ice on it, that's a different story, but you could try pouring warm water on it.
Old 02-25-10, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once the dish is clean, spray it with Pam cooking spray. Ice won't stick.

There are also plastic covers and heating elements that will keep ice and snow from building up on the dish.
Old 02-25-10, 10:00 PM

i hit it with a broom and think i f-ed it up but good. doesn't find a satellite signal at all now. before, at least the channels registered, but no signal.
Old 02-26-10, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598
i hit it with a broom and think i f-ed it up but good. doesn't find a satellite signal at all now. before, at least the channels registered, but no signal.
Probably knocked it off the alignment.
Old 02-26-10, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

After our last snowstorm a couple weeks ago, by the next day all my HD channels on my satellite were out, but my regular ones still came in. I called, and she walked me through some stuff on the receiver that helped not one bit, so she had a tech come out. Turns out the HD satellite is the lowest one in the sky, and the signal was being blocked by the snow on the roof. Nothing wrong with my dish at all. So basically I paid to have a guy come out and knock some snow off my roof with my own broom.
Old 02-26-10, 03:43 AM
Banned

When we got hit in the East with two 2-foot storms plus a few others I was glad I had digital cable instead of a dish. Although, we had an epic amount of ice built up on the side of the house where the line goes in that eventually came crashing down, then melted, we never once had even a hiccup in our service.

I had enough problems getting a decent signal for Sirius that I don't think I'll ever get a dish for TV.
Old 02-26-10, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I had no problems with my dish during the 3 blizzards. Of course it helped that it's sitting on my balcony with cover. Still had to dust it off a few times.

The only times I've had problems with the dish is during heavy downpours, but those usually only last 10-15 max....takes out the HD channels first.
Old 02-26-10, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by JakeNeff
Usually sweeping the snow off the dish will work. If there's ice on it, that's a different story, but you could try pouring warm water on it.
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Once the dish is clean, spray it with Pam cooking spray. Ice won't stick.

There are also plastic covers and heating elements that will keep ice and snow from building up on the dish.
still nothing this morning.

after digging a narrow path with about 16in. of snow piled on the porch, i used a broom to sweep the snow and try to chip away the ice on the dish. very accessible from top of porch. last night i went under it which wasn't the best idea.

when there was just a coat of ice left on the dish and the extension arm in front, i used hot water and melted the thin sheen right away.

then for the last touch sprayed some cooking oil on it (didn't do alot bc wasn't sure if that was truly prudent).

happy to report the HD and regular channels are up and running with nary a pixelation affecting it.

so who knows what was the key that worked, probably combo of all, so thank you very much Jake and Salty!
Old 02-26-10, 09:16 AM

Glad we could be of assistance!
Old 02-26-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I would be carefule about using cooking oil, it can get sticky over time and dirt, bugs, etc will end up in it. I would use a teflon spray snow an ice repellent first, and make sure you only spray the dish surface. The other thing you could consider is heat tape. It's usually used for keeping pipes from freezing. Put it on the back side of the dish and only turn it on as needed. If nothing else, it will release any ice build up which makes knocking it off much easier.
Old 02-26-10, 09:30 AM

^ i only used very little and with the wind, i am not sure if anything really stuck. it usually isn't too bad and the worst is over so hopefully it will be ok now.
Old 02-27-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Keep snow off of it and use warm water if possible to clear off any ice. Or pee on it.

And I'm sure you know this already, but never put warm water on a car's windshield to clean it - it will often cause the window to crack.
Old 02-27-10, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat
Keep snow off of it and use warm water if possible to clear off any ice. Or pee on it.

That makes for an interesting image for a roof-top dish.