Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead' (Blu-ray)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I read Adam Tyner's DVD review of Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=40803 and...

I was a behind-the-scenes editor for Troma back when POULTRYGEIST was in post-production. I cut the Blowing-Up-The-ACB, Meat Grinder Scene, Joe Fleishaker Head Mold, and Recording The Songs featurettes.

So I can tell you that the Recording The Songs featurette is supposed to run about 13 minutes. If it's cut off at 6, well, that's kind of predictable in a really crappy disappointing Tromatic way. I don't have the DVD version, but I've been told the whole featurette is on that disc. Also, it's probably on 3 or 4 random Troma releases from 2006, intended as a kind of teaser for the movie.
Old 02-24-10, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead' (Blu-ray)

Loved this movie great review. Wasn't expecting much from a Troma BD anyways still will get the BD.
Old 02-24-10, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin Remer
So I can tell you that the Recording The Songs featurette is supposed to run about 13 minutes. If it's cut off at 6, well, that's kind of predictable in a really crappy disappointing Tromatic way.
That's a drag...thanks for letting me know. I don't think the version on the Blu-ray disc cuts off mid-sentence, but it comes really, really close.

I'm not sure if this is a question you might know the answer to, but do you have any idea if Poultrygeist was actually transferred in high definition? (I don't think Troma would've retransferred it after just a couple of years, so I'm assuming whatever transfer they did back then is what they're using now.) It doesn't look like it to me, but literally no one else on any other review site seems to think so, so I'm wondering if I'm off my rocker or not. A couple of people have said the Blu-ray disc looks a little better than the DVD, but that doesn't convince me that it's actually high-def...could just be a better presentation of a lower resolution source.

If you have any idea, I'd definitely appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 02-24-10, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know anything for certain because I left the company just after picture was locked on the film, but before sound was designed/prints were made/etc.

But, having been in charge of making a bunch of their DVDs between 2005-06, I am willing to bet they made an SD 16x9 transfer (odd for them, since Lloyd has always intentionally shot his films since the 70s -- all the way up to and including this one -- in 1.33:1, so that the video version could be made just by adding the information back to the top and bottom rather than panning and scanning) when they finished the film and then figured they could get away with using it again for the BD.

I am a bit curious about this upcoming Tromeo and Juliet disc, though, since there was no existing 16x9 video master for it when I organized the 10th anniversary 2-DVD edition (one of my proudest Troma moments -- I remember being very happy with the DVD Talk review at the time).
Old 02-24-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Thanks for the response! I'm curious about how some of their other movies will turn out on Blu-ray too...some, like Class of Nuke 'em High, haven't gotten any re-releases over the years, so hopefully those will still benefit a lot from whatever polishing they do.
Old 03-04-10, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Poultrygeist still doesn't really have an HD look to my eyes, but Troma did pass along a picture showing the master tape to show that this isn't an upconvert:

Old 03-04-10, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,824 Likes on 1,225 Posts

That's awesome, Adam. A real tromatic feather in your cap, or something!