Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Tales of the Golden Monkey will be released on DVD soon..

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure how many people remember the short lived tv series: Tales of the Golden Monkey...

Shout! Factory has announced another new TV title coming to DVD that some of you might be interested in: Tales of the Gold Monkey: The Complete Series! Look for it as a 6-disc DVD box set on 6/8 (SRP $49.97), featuring all 22 episodes, the original double-length pilot, a new 36-minute documentary, audio commentaries, a photo gallery, a costume and artifacts gallery, a 24-page booklet and more.
Old 02-23-10, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Tales of the Golden Monkey will be released on DVD soon..

I remember liking this Indiana Jones-ish show when I was a kid---not sure how well it would hold up now, but I'd be curious to see it again.
Old 02-24-10, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shout! continues to impress with their annoncements during the past year or so. A lot of neglected shows and left-field releases. Keep 'em coming.
Old 02-24-10, 09:19 AM

I already have it pre-ordered at Amazon. I only hope the show still holds up after all these years. I really loved this show as a kid growing up, it was very Indiana Jones, with action and laughs. I am really excited about this one!!
Old 02-24-10, 11:20 AM

Great news. This was on my short list of short-lived TV shows that I wanted to see on DVD. The last one that made it was Sleepers, the British mini-series, about a year ago. It'll be great to see Golden Monkey again...
Old 02-24-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Great news!
Old 02-24-10, 02:48 PM

I got the email notification about this the other day from the tv on dvd site!! Awesome news! The last time I got to see any episodes was back in the nineties on the USA channel I think.

Wishbone - Love the old tv guide two page spread there! I remember pulling that out of the tv guide when I was a kid and putting on my bulletin board in my room!! Good times!!

Now If someone would finish putting out the rest of Black Sheep Squadron!

Take care all!!
Old 02-25-10, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,040 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by europefan01
Not sure how many people remember the short lived tv series: Tales of the Golden Monkey....
Old 02-28-10, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No way, that was Stephen Collins in that show? Man, I still remember going ape-shit over this when it was on. The only specific epidose I remember though was the people who worshiped animals(?) and so they loved his dog but threw him in a metal box to fry to death...or something like that maybe.

I can't believe this show is getting a release though.
Old 02-28-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If shout! could gain the rights to "Karin Sisco", life will be complete
Old 02-28-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Seeing his mechanic turn up on Magnum PI, and then later seeing him on Black Sheep Squadron in reruns, as a child i thought he truly was the most successful B list actor, ever.
Old 03-01-10, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
Seeing his mechanic turn up on Magnum PI, and then later seeing him on Black Sheep Squadron in reruns, as a child i thought he truly was the most successful B list actor, ever.
A bit of trivia. Jeff MacKay--who died a few years ago--was a cousin of Robert Redford. He got his SAG card working on All The President's Men.
Old 03-01-10, 01:42 PM

Those are pretty good specs for a short lived and relatively obscure television series. That said, I'm in for this one. I remember the excitement I had for this show when I was a kid and I think it'll hold up well because of the timeline it took place in. Oh, and that TV Guide spread is awesome.
Old 03-01-10, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic, now if Shout or Mill Creek would just put out Relic Hunter in a complete set.
Old 03-03-10, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 159 Posts

Cool!!! I've been wanting this for close to a decade!
Old 06-21-10, 02:15 PM

In MHO, truly the greatest of all TV shows. I’ve been watching my well worn VHS air check copies of this show for years. Alas, many of the tapes are truly unwatchable now, since they are so well worn. I immediately bought the box set from Amazon. Beautifully packaged, though some of the navigation is a bit confusing. It appears that they didn’t put the names of what is on each of the six disks on the disks themselves, and the list in printed on the BACK of the front label! But that’s small complains compared to what’s on the DVD’s. Stephen Collins was (is) one of a kind. He’s the guy we’d all like to be, and would love to have as a buddy to kick ass with and get drunk with in the Monkey Bar, and according to my girlfriend, every woman wanted to, shall we say, “fly in his plane” anytime!

I’ve read here where it’s been said that the later episodes are not all that much better than the early ones (the early ones are more graphic novel in nature, and the later one’s more literary). I have to disagree. I like both “tones”, but truly, the later shows are mature, and show a direction that the series was going, that, if it was given a chance, could have made it the true water-mark for brilliance in TV series for years to come. Intelligent writing, acting and direction. The bonus tracks, including a nice Making Of are well done. The Making Of is mostly Stephen Collins, and he is charming, and exactly like the character he played in the series. I like him this way, more “salty” than the character he played for all those years on 7th Heaven. The commentaries by head-writer and producer Tom Greene are some of the best I’ve ever heard. They are exactly what these things should be. Like opening a secret box, and getting all the “good stuff” about a show. Greene knows his stuff, both about the show, and about the making of TV (I looked up his credits, and he seems to be involved in most of the classic TV series of that time period, including other Don Bellisario – creator of “Monkey” shows), and he really brings a whole new dimension to watching this classic. There’s been talk on this forum on Greene’s contention that the episode where Louie (Roddy McDowell) is going to be put to death is the quintessential “Tales of the Gold Monkey” show, and I have to agree. This is arrogance on his part. It’s just simply the truth. In this episode, everyone shines, the quality of acting, writing, directing and product are all top form, and it is indeed up there with “Tales of Two Cities”, which Greene claims was his inspiration.

I’ve read a lot of comments on various forums and blogs about this show, and many people say how this show takes them to place we’d all like to be right now, where good was good, and evil was punished. A place where there are no oil spills, and liars or thieves, and if they are, they are all dealt with before the final credits. We all need that, especially me, and I can’t think of another show as good as this one to take you to such a place.
Old 06-22-10, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had totally forgotten about this show, though reading about the announcement sent back a flood of fond memories as a young teen watching it.
Old 06-30-10, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 159 Posts

Just got this in the mail today. I hope that one day we get a Blu-Ray re-master of some nature, but until then, this will do. Glad to finally have it. I will say that some things I don't recollect from when I used to watch this at age six:

-how annoying Sarah could be at times, and her red hair isn't that obvious

-how cool Leo/Jack the dog truly was

-how hot Marta Dubois was, though I had yet to hit puberty, not to mention obvious American actors trying to be Germans, Asians, etc.

-how great of a character actor Jeff McKay truly was in his time.
Old 07-03-10, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oh man, classic show! it's been so long that I hardly remember anything about it, but back in the day I was really excited about watching this one. I think I'll have to pick this one up sometime.