D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
02-21-10, 11:03 PM
:lol: rotfl

X
02-21-10, 11:04 PM
:lol:

DGibFen
02-22-10, 09:37 PM
I was actually thinking about this today when I was playing with eWiFi on my iPod. I took a screenshot of the current wireless survey in my place, and look what came up:

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/5979/ewifi.jpg

(Mine is the WPA2 one.)

GreenMonkey
02-22-10, 10:06 PM
:lol:

It's hard to tell if she didn't realize she was stealing someone else's service, or if she just defends it after he tells her that was what she was doing.

Numanoid
02-23-10, 01:43 AM
He caught on to her WAY too fast, provided the amount of information she had given him at that point. I call shenanigans.

Mr. Salty
02-23-10, 03:53 AM
He caught on to her WAY too fast, provided the amount of information she had given him at that point. I call shenanigans.

Bullshit. I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as Leo LaPorte and I caught onto her the second sentence out of her mouth.

palebluedot
02-23-10, 08:19 AM
It's getting better now but in the earlier days of WIFI people were totally clueless. I could drive around my neighborhood and pick up completely open networks, join and do port scans and network traces. I couldn't believe how stupid these people were. A friend of mine had his WIFI like this and I showed him how just by using ethereal I could capture and analyze network traces and grab all his personal information.

nickdawgy
02-24-10, 01:21 AM
The people that buy it and do nothing for security are crazy. Although I am thankful they decide not to be secure when my connection goes down.

Is this guy for real though? I never heard of him. People have been arrested for leeching on someone elses connection? What? Then his rant about them stealing your passwords, and bank info :lol:

Paranoid much?

GreenMonkey
02-24-10, 01:35 AM
The people that buy it and do nothing for security are crazy. Although I am thankful they decide not to be secure when my connection goes down.

Is this guy for real though? I never heard of him. People have been arrested for leeching on someone elses connection? What? Then his rant about them stealing your passwords, and bank info :lol:

Paranoid much?

Both are possible, and both have happened.

August 23, 2007
London police arrest man for 'stealing' Wi-Fi
Man who used his laptop to access someone else's wireless Internet connection is arrested as part of a campaign against Wi-Fi thieves

http://www.infoworld.com/t/networking/london-police-arrest-man-stealing-wi-fi-896

Is it likely for this lady? Probably not. But it's possible.

Dan
02-24-10, 01:39 AM
I hated Leo for awhile... but now I kind of respect him. He's good at pretending he knows the answer, while he searches for the right answer, then pretends to remember a small detail he forgot to mention at the beginning. :)

Sean O'Hara
02-24-10, 02:19 AM
I hated Leo for awhile... but now I kind of respect him.

Radio show Leo, or TWiT Leo? I find the Tech Guy Show unlistenable, largely because the callers are such idiots.

E. Honda
02-24-10, 03:06 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/88/TTV.png

RIP

Phodg
02-24-10, 01:19 PM
Indeed.

Mopower
02-24-10, 04:39 PM
I hated Leo for awhile... but now I kind of respect him. He's good at pretending he knows the answer, while he searches for the right answer, then pretends to remember a small detail he forgot to mention at the beginning. :)

He jumped to conclusions a little too quickly some times without knowing all the information but he does know what he's talking about. His radio show is great but it does cater to the kind of people like that woman in the clip.

Mopower
02-24-10, 04:40 PM

Have you ever heard his show? Most of the callers are just as inept as the one in the clip.

Numanoid
02-24-10, 04:43 PM
More likely is that the call is screened, so he knows the answer before she even explains the problem, all while pretending to be thinking up as he goes along.

Mr. Salty
02-24-10, 07:00 PM
More likely is that the call is screened, so he knows the answer before she even explains the problem, all while pretending to be thinking up as he goes along.

What a bizarre post. Do you think Leo has some sort of hidden agenda?

If you've ever worked at a radio station, or called a show such as Leo's, you'd know that the screening is brief and asks what sort of question the caller wants to ask. It doesn't get into detail.

Giantrobo
02-24-10, 08:18 PM
Have you ever heard his show? Most of the callers are just as inept as the one in the clip.

Well, duuuh. Isn't that the point of the show? To help folks who need it?

Giantrobo
02-24-10, 08:30 PM

What a bizarre post. Do you think Leo has some sort of hidden agenda?

If you've ever worked at a radio station, or called a show such as Leo's, you'd know that the screening is brief and asks what sort of question the caller wants to ask. It doesn't get into detail.

Most shows have a Screener program that the Host and Screener and/or Producer can see. These programs typically give the Host a person's Name, Location, Number of the line they called in on(Line 1, Line 2, and etc)and their Question(usually summed up in a short sentence or phrase). Some programs allow more info to be posted but that depends on what the show wants.

So yes, he does generally know what they're going to be asking and chances are he's been asked this question before so it's easy to recall answers quickly. Of course people are people they'll often ask more than what they originally called about.

I believe this call is real because I don't believe Leo sets up calls with phony callers. That's not to say the other shows don't do this because many do. Many shows also "bank calls" meaning they keep recordings of good calls and use them on futures shows for filler or for various other reasons.

You'd be shocked by the number of "Live" radio talk shows that aren't 100% "Live".

Trust me, I know...I see this all this stuff all day every day. ;)

Mopower
02-26-10, 04:41 PM
Well, duuuh. Isn't that the point of the show? To help folks who need it?

To a point yes. But when it gets as simple as stuff like in the clip there is only so much you can do for people.

Jay G.
02-26-10, 11:40 PM
Minor point of contention: Leo states that on an open wifi connection, people can see your gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc passwords, as they're sent unsecured.

However, yahoo has a secure login page. Even gmail before it went completely secure had a secure login page. It looks like hotmail doesn't default to a secure login, although you can click on a link to access it.

So, your email password is normally secure. However, the email you then read after logging in isn't. If one of those emails you read contains a password, then someone listening in could grab it.

Of course, on an open network, you could become victim to a Man-in-the-Middle attack, so you could get your passwords stolen from an apparently "secure" page (SSL has patched some holes, but there are still some possible work-arounds if someone's not paying 100% attention to a page).

The most secure method to use while accessing an open wifi network is to use a VPN.