TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Simpsons -- "The Color Yellow" -- 02/21/10

Old 02-21-10, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
The Simpsons -- "The Color Yellow" -- 02/21/10

"The Color Yellow"
Spoiler:
When Miss Hoover asks her students to research their family history, Lisa is horrified to discover that most of her ancestors were bad people a motley crew of horse thieves and deadbeats. However, while rummaging through the attic, Lisa happens upon a diary kept by her ancestor, Eliza Simpson. As Eliza's story unfolds, Lisa learns that her family was part of the Underground Railroad, a group that helped slaves escape to freedom. Eliza recounts liberating a slave named Virgil, but when Lisa presents her findings at school, some of her classmates refute it; leaving Lisa determined to exonerate her family's name.

Originally Aired: February 21, 2010
Old 02-21-10, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Simpsons -- "The Color Yellow" -- 02/21/10

Hilarious episode. Awww, the Simpsons were in management. Loved the Canadian anthem at the end too.
Old 02-21-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Solid episode. Loved the Simpsons were in management joke.
Old 02-21-10, 11:40 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts

"Adam and Eve Simpson, or as they were otherwise known, Julius and Ethel Rosenberg"
Old 02-21-10, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,072 Likes on 772 Posts

This was a very good episode. 1990s good.
Old 02-22-10, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked it even though the whole family tree premise was done a while back (the whole hitachi Indian tribe episode)
I had to rewind the Obama joke about 4 times Lewis saying "let me be clear" was hilarious
Old 02-22-10, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Excellent episode...this whole season has been better good if you ask me.

Loved the Obama stuff like everyone.

And say what you will about the writing, but the switch to hi-def has helped the animation a lot (not that is was high art to begin with, but I was impressed last night).
Old 02-22-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I hate being the lone voice of reason, but the episode was not that funny. It was unusual for a recent season in how the entire episode was basically tied to one plotline, but a lot of the jokes fell flat.
Old 02-22-10, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I hate being the lone voice of reason, but the episode was not that funny.
Yours isn't the voice of reason, just dissent (which is fine --- comedy is highly subjective). Your opinion is no more valid than anyone else's.

On that note, I agree with everyone else. I loved the episode, and I think the season as a whole has been the best in a long time.
Old 02-23-10, 11:50 PM

I have to agree with phantomstranger on this one- Just not that funny- I've been a fan for seventeen years and this is the first time I've been truly disappointed. The episode was saved only by mr. burns (and his father). Call me paranoid, but I also noticed a political agenda with this episode- which was the real turn off for me- regardless of your politics, the simpsons has always been pretty neutral by mocking everyone. Not this time- The theme was anti white man and pro white woman- the heroes of the episode were lisa and marge, the villains were mr. burns and homer. Now obviously, in an episode about slavery, the white people will be the antagonists- But it seemed to make the case that it was only the white men who were for slavery, and that women were bullied into it by white men and are therefore blameless for it. Not to mention the fact that the episode just came right out and said that old people are racist- I was disgusted- for the first time I saw political propaganda in the simpsons. The simpsons should avoid history lessons and just stick to the formula that made it what it is today-
Old 02-24-10, 01:08 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I don't know, I didn't see the episode that way at all. I thought it was pretty good- just not as good as the previous week's.

And for all those who were waiting for some Canada digs last week and didn't get it, they got what they wanted at the end of this episode.
Old 02-24-10, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by h00sierdaddy
the heroes of the episode were lisa and marge, the villains were mr. burns and homer.
And this has never happened before in the 17 years you've been watching? I don't know that 19th century Homer's actions even qualify as villainous, just weak.

But Burns has been the epitome of villainy since his season 1, with Marge and Lisa regularly being the voice of reason.
Old 02-24-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

I have to agree with phantomstranger on this one- Just not that funny- I've been a fan for seventeen years and this is the first time I've been truly disappointed. The episode was saved only by mr. burns (and his father).

Call me paranoid, but I also noticed a political agenda with this episode- which was the real turn off for me- regardless of your politics, the simpsons has always been pretty neutral by mocking everyone. Not this time- The theme was anti white man and pro white woman- the heroes of the episode were lisa and marge, the villains were mr. burns and homer.

Now obviously, in an episode about slavery, the white people will be the antagonists- But it seemed to make the case that it was only the white men who were for slavery, and that women were bullied into it by white men and are therefore blameless for it.

Not to mention the fact that the episode just came right out and said that old people are racist- I was disgusted- for the first time I saw political propaganda in the simpsons. The simpsons should avoid history lessons and just stick to the formula that made it what it is today-
Just so I could read it.

"The theme was anti white man and pro white woman- "

good point.
Old 02-24-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The simpsons should avoid history lessons and just stick to the formula that made it what it is today-
You signed up with DVD Talk just to post how you, as a white man, were offended by the message of this week's episode of "The Simpsons"? If you've been watching the show for 17 years, then you'd know this is far from the first time they've done an episode with a historical backdrop.
Old 02-25-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it was a great episode. There were so many great one-liners and gags that I had to rewind it a few times.

-Lisa's trip to the attic and all the things from the Simpsons' past
-All the kids dressed up as Obama
-Millhouse and Eliza ending up married
-Bart's plans to blow up the school and the "My Kia"
-"The Simpsons were in management!"
-The Simpsons as the Rosenbergs
-Homer getting Abe to talk by lowering the thermostat
-Homer thinking he gets paid less because he is 1/64 black
-Mr. Burns saying "I haven't heard my father's name in years"

Really solid episode. They really have turned around this season, having actual plots that resolve themselves in a realistic manner, not just a rush job at the end because they have run out of time.

I would hardly call what Homer did "evil," but just his usual weak-willed self. Lisa has always been a symbol of a strong-willed girl and Marge has equally proven herself to be a responsible adult that will stand up for what is right and be a good role model for her children (she stood up to Mr. Burns in the second season episode "Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish" and that is no different than her standing up to him here). Their historic counterparts in this episode were no different than the present-day Simpsons.

I always get a kick out of episodes like these, were present-day Homer is married to someone that looked just like an old relative, and despite him having no relation to Mabel's first husband, looks and acts exactly like him.
Old 02-25-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Okay episode, decent plot/characters but it really didn't bring the funny so much.

Good to know both the Simpsons and Griffins are descended from former slaves.
Old 02-25-10, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm wondering how they managed to move the Omec head from the basement up to the attic.
Old 02-25-10, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fanboy
I'm wondering how they managed to move the Olmec head from the basement up to the attic.
The house had to have been rebuilt after the film...
Old 03-02-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fanboy
I'm wondering how they managed to move the Omec head from the basement up to the attic.
How about how they mananged to move it to the basement in the 1st place?
Old 03-02-10, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

This was the first Simpsons i have watched in a long time. I thought it was pretty terrible. I was a huge fan of the first 6 to 8 seasons.
Old 03-02-10, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
This was the first Simpsons i have watched in a long time. I thought it was pretty terrible. I was a huge fan of the first 6 to 8 seasons.
I think you would have been much better off watching last week's.
Old 03-09-10, 08:44 AM
Cool New Member

Sounds like a solid episode. I've missed that of late.