Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Sonic The Hedgehog 4! (wiiware, xbla, psn, and possible retail)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gu4aiNPjupY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gu4aiNPjupY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Sonic 3 level designer is working on Sonic 4:

The reassuring news keeps on coming regarding Sonic the Hedgehog 4. First of all, we get a bit of gameplay footage that looks terrific, then we get word that Dimps is working on the game, and now it has been revealed that Sonic 3's senior level designer is also involved.

"So, is it just Dimps? Just Sonic Team? The answer is a bit of both," explains Sega. "Yes, Dimps is working on the game. But there’s actually more to it than just that: at the same time, we also have members of Sonic Team, including the original senior level designer from Sonic 3 & Knuckles on the SEGA Genesis working alongside them. It is most definitely a partnership, and the result of this teamwork is something many of us are excited for."

It really is looking like Sonic 4 will be the game that old school fans have been longing to see, and I count myself as one of those fans who waits with nervous excitement. Please please please don't mess this up, Sega!

http://www.destructoid.com/sonic-3-l...4-164382.phtml

-Sounds like things are looking quite nice for the return of old school sonic. Although i will most likely wait till the game hits the rumored retail as i enjoy owning the physical software rather than download the episodes.

Last edited by mhg83; 02-20-10 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-20-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Sonic The Hedgehog 4! (wiiware, xbla, psn, and possible retail)

Screenshot:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I wish.
Old 02-20-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

His running and jump animations are WAY too damn slow in that video. I hope they speed it up a bit.
Old 02-20-10, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Sonic 4 Episode II? So this won't be a full game but rather several chapters we'll have to purchase independently?
Old 02-20-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Sonic 4 Episode II? So this won't be a full game but rather several chapters we'll have to purchase independently?
That's another reason to wait till it hits retail. They plan to release them in episodes at first but once all are out they'll make them available on disc.
Old 02-20-10, 06:06 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
His running and jump animations are WAY too damn slow in that video. I hope they speed it up a bit.
I agree...something just seems to be off...
Old 02-20-10, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Haven't the last few StHH games sucked?
Old 02-20-10, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The last few 3d sonic games have sucked (with the exception of Adventure 1 and 2) Sonic seems to work better in 2d so going back to Sonics roots and eliminating all his crappy friends this might actually be a great game.
Old 02-20-10, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Haven't the last few StHH games sucked?
Yeah, because they tried to go 3D. This is a return to the side scrolling formula.
Old 02-20-10, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

I see. Thanks guys. Just a side note, in the game Bayonetta the Halo collecting was a nod to the Sonic games. In fact there were a few nods to past SEGA games in Bayonetta.
Old 02-20-10, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Yeah, because they tried to go 3D. This is a return to the side scrolling formula.
Now I had thought that the Dreamcast 3D Sonic game was supposed to be very good. Is that just nostalgia or was it really a good game? If so, how come it never got released on another platform after the Dreamcast went belly-up? I'd buy it on XBLA if it were a good game. Hell, I bought Space Channel Z or whatever that weird game was when it came out on the PS2.
Old 02-20-10, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Both adventure titles got ported to gamecube
Old 02-21-10, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Both adventure titles got ported to gamecube
Another system I never owned!

Was the game actually good? I remember seeing it in 1999 at an EB Games and being impressed, but that was 1999.
Old 02-21-10, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really enjoyed Adventure 1 when it was released on Dreamcast. Popped it in a few months back and am still impressed by the level design and gameplay.

Have yet to play Adventure 2 but I've heard it's equally good if not better than its predecessor.

There's been a rumor that Sega is working on making some of their DC games available on xbla, psn. I'm assuming both adventure games will eventually make it one day.
Old 02-21-10, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I wasn't impressed that much with Sonic Adventure. I thought it paled in comparison to Mario 64, as far as making the jump to 3D goes.
Old 02-21-10, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't impressed that much with Sonic Adventure. I thought it paled in comparison to Mario 64, as far as making the jump to 3D goes.
It definitely was inferior to Mario 64, but it was a pretty solid game. Does my memory serve me well? I think I remember the camera being pretty bad in Sonic Adventure.
Old 02-22-10, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Playing New Super Mario Bros Wii last week I wondered why Sega doesn't just go back to basics in a similar fashion. I may give this a look once it hits disc.
Old 02-22-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried all of the old Sonic games on the Genesis Collection, and I'm of the mind that Sonic has always been overrated, and there's never really been a great Sonic game. Folks are trying to recapture the magic of something that really wasn't that great in the first place. I know I had fond memories, and the games just weren't as engaging as I remember.

You can go 100mph or you can platform, but you simply can't do both well IMO.

Anyway, I wish them the best, and I especially hope Sonic fans get what they are waiting for.
Old 02-22-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I actually enjoyed it more than Mario 64 in the sense that it didn't feel as repetitive as M64. But it was also a fraction of the overall length.
Old 02-22-10, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
There's been a rumor that Sega is working on making some of their DC games available on xbla, psn. I'm assuming both adventure games will eventually make it one day.
It's either more than a rumor or just a really well-done hoax:

UPDATE: Sonic Adventure Re-Release on XBOX Live
Old 02-22-10, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the first Sonic Adventure was a great game. Now, of course some of that was me being wowed by the graphics, but I found the overall gameplay to be really satisfying. It doesn't hold a candle to Mario64, but I thought it was a fine game. There were sections of that game, like the ruins with the big stone snake, that I thought were pretty epic. I played it in Japanese, so I had no idea what was happening, but still had a really good time.

I played through the first three Sonic games last fall, and I still really enjoy them. A lot of people say part 2 was the best, but for my money part 3 is where it's at. Even though Mario games are better, I have more fun moving through Sonic games.

This new video definitely seems off. The jump is too slow, and Sonic seems slow. I do really love that they're doing this though. Between this, New Super Mario Bros and the Wii game, and the Megaman stuff -- it's a good time for nostalgia.
Old 02-22-10, 11:24 PM
Banned

I'm looking forward to seeing how this sells!

Even Sonic the Hedgehog 3 had six times less the sales than Sonic the Hedgehog 2 in 1994! That's pretty bad...

Sonic has really reached some low depths in its main series over the years! I can't really say Mario ever fell as hard in his main series. Just compare Sonic the Hedgehog 360 vs. Super Mario Galaxy!

Sonic the Hedgehog 360 is horrendous, and makes Super Mario Sunshine look like game of the year in comparison -- by a very wide margin!

Mario titles also tend to sell worlds better than Sonic titles -- even to this day.

For example: Mario 3 sold around 18 million; Mario World sold around 20 million. Sonic 2, on the other hand, only 6 million. This is still very good, but the difference is pretty astounding.

Even many years later, New Super Mario Bros. Wii is selling extremely well. And I thought that was a fairly lackluster title overall... A poor man's Mario Bros 3.

Mario World, Mario 3, Mario Land 2 (it's source titles) were much better in comparison.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is probably making a mistake by not selling a hard copy in stores right away. The game's footage itself also looks kind of lackluster, and nothing special!

I used to love Sonic and Tails as characters, but the franchise has become fairly lackluster over the years, and probably was always just a poor man's Mario Bros. to begin with.

---------------------------------------------------

I thought Super Mario Galaxy was a much better version of Super Mario 64!

I found Mario 64 to be a poor follow-up to Super Mario World! It ditched all the koopa kids, interesting bosses, was too repetitive, and featured too much of the same Bowser. I know it was the first 3-D title, but I didn't much care for it back in the day either.

I though SNES Super Mario RPG (also released in '96) was much better! Interesting characters, a story, yoshi is included, and it's Square!

I'm also in the minority that liked Sonic Adventure better than Mario 64!

Last edited by Cocacoladude78; 02-22-10 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-23-10, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoilerized for size:

Spoiler:

Old 02-23-10, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

That looks real nice.
Old 02-28-10, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pVI6Agm1-kY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pVI6Agm1-kY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>