ugh, PS3 disc drive is dead

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-20-10, 05:58 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

So, my PS3 won't recognize any game or BR disc I put into it... the unit itself works, crossbar, PSN games, anything on the harddrive, but looks like the disc drive is shot.

Before I send it out, any easy things I could try to get it functioning again?
Old 02-20-10, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: ugh, PS3 disc drive is dead

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
So, my PS3 won't recognize any game or BR disc I put into it... the unit itself works, crossbar, PSN games, anything on the harddrive, but looks like the disc drive is shot.

Have you tried putting a dvd in and seeing if that works? The blu-ray on my PS3 had trouble reading discs for a while. It would happen sporadically and then more frequently. What I ended up doing was putting in a dvd and letting it spin for a while. After that, it would read the blu-rays fine.

What I think was happening was the blu-ray lens was dirty so it was spinning the disc, trying to read it but because the lens was dirty, it couldn't. But since the dvd part worked, it somehow cleared off some of the dirt from the blu-ray lens and was able to read the blu-rays again. Although, this is purely speculation on my part. I have no idea if this is actually what happened.
Old 02-20-10, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This happened to me a while back, nothing could be done - had to get it fixed by Sony out of warranty for close to $200
Old 02-20-10, 08:41 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

so, a little more specifics... for the past week, every once in awhile when I booted up the PS3 the cross media bar didn't seem to recognize that there was a disc there to play/activate. So, I would have to eject, reinsert, then it would recognize it. Then this morning, same thing, but ejecting and reinserting didn't do anything. So I tried a BR disc, and again, it wouldn't recognize it. Then I shut the machine off, and when I turned it back on, it did indeed recognize the game disc. So I played, and the game worked and acted perfectly. If it was a defaulty drive/laser, whatever, wouldn't I have some sort of disc error during playing the game (MW2)?
Old 02-20-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what happens when they die. Eventually the disc will not be read.

I've been down that road. I backed up all my files to a system, then took it in to Best Buy. I had the extended from Best Buy so I got a replacement 40 gig that I modded to 320 gig, and like a ~$300 gift card from Best Buy to make up for the price of the original 60 gig with backward compatibility.

The only loss was the backward compatibility for PS2, which was nice, but this new unit runs so much cooler there is no comparison. With the gift card, I thought it was a pretty cool score for me.
Old 02-20-10, 12:23 PM

Let me guess, everyone has to older model PS3 and has been playing Modern Warfare 2? Welcome to the club. Same thing happened to me, and it's not just us. It pisses me off there is something clearly causing this to happen, and Sony won't do anything about it.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...cending&page=1
Old 02-20-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

same thing happened to me, I guess it happens alot on ps3. it cost me 150 bucks to get it fixed, since it was out of warranty. Sony Charges a flat fee, it doesnt matter whats wrong its 150.00 I believe. The only good thing is the turn around is very fast. a week or less
Old 02-20-10, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have a PS2 backwards compatible unit and Sony fixes it, when you get it back does it retain the backwards compatibilty?
Old 02-20-10, 09:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Call them up and tell the technician how you think he should fix it.
Old 02-21-10, 09:30 AM

I had two PS3 disk drives die on me. I sold the one PS3 as broken because it would have cost more to fix it than it was worth. Then I bought a new one and it broken again. Fortunately I bought this PS3 using my credit card, so they paid for it to get fixed because I have a warranty program that comes with my Visa card for free. So yea, I'm kinda pissed off at Sony. They are absolutely no help when you call them. They basically say you are screwed.
Old 02-21-10, 12:11 PM

I'd recommend Gophermods. My 60 gb died (flashing red light), and they fixed it quick and (relatively) cheap. I live local, so I was able to drop it off and see what the shop was like - it's run by a handful of college kids, but they're nice and seem to know what they're doing. The owner even wrote me a letter to support my dispute with my credit card company against the first local PC repair shop who screwed me (by taking my $100 and literally doing nothing with my PS3 - bastards).

The website says $109 for disc read error repair, plus I think you have to pay shipping to them (but I think they pay shipping back to you). Cheaper than Sony, and you'll get your original unit back.
Old 02-23-10, 04:50 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

well, I bought the 80gb PS3 in 2008, with a 3 year warranty thingamabob from Target.

looks like I need to go back and drop it off... wonder if they will fix, or replace... if they replace, do they compensate you in some way with $$ as they would have to replace with an arguably inferior product (ie: no backwards compatability, and a smaller drive)
Old 02-24-10, 07:49 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

well, I bought the 80gb PS3 in 2008, with a 3 year warranty thingamabob from Target.

looks like I need to go back and drop it off... wonder if they will fix, or replace... if they replace, do they compensate you in some way with $$ as they would have to replace with an arguably inferior product (ie: no backwards compatability, and a smaller drive)
Let us know how they handle it. I remember Target trying to push me the extended warranty at the time of purchase, and I asked them what would I do if the unit does break, and I thought they said that they are just selling a 3rd party warranty, and that I'd have to contact the other company to get the details, so it may not be like Best Buy or Costco where you can get a replacement or complete refund on the spot.
Old 02-24-10, 09:31 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

So, if I send this thing out to be repaired, with the risk that I won't get the unit back, then what exactly do I need to save off the hard drive? saved game data obviously... but, anything I've downloaded from PSN, as long as I log into a new PS3 with my old credentials, should allow me the ability to redownload everything for free, right? Anything else I should snag off the drive before I ship it off?
Old 02-24-10, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, if I send this thing out to be repaired, with the risk that I won't get the unit back, then what exactly do I need to save off the hard drive? saved game data obviously... but, anything I've downloaded from PSN, as long as I log into a new PS3 with my old credentials, should allow me the ability to redownload everything for free, right? Anything else I should snag off the drive before I ship it off?
I would deactivate both video and games before shipping...
Old 02-25-10, 05:13 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I would deactivate both video and games before shipping...
? why is that?
Old 02-25-10, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

? why is that?
Because you only can have one active system for Video (movie purchases and rentals) and five active systems for games. You might as well deactivate it unless you're getting the exact same system back.

My 60GB got the YLOD of death, and that was activated one for video. So now my only option is to get it up and running long enough to deactive it and transfer the contents to a new PS3, or try and get Sony to do it for me. I hear that the latter can prove quite challenging if you don't send the PS3 to them (they assume you're trying to pull a fast one).
Old 02-25-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by SomeVoices
Let me guess, everyone has to older model PS3 and has been playing Modern Warfare 2? Welcome to the club. Same thing happened to me, and it's not just us. It pisses me off there is something clearly causing this to happen, and Sony won't do anything about it.
The problem has nothing directly to do with Modern Warfare 2. The Blu-ray drive in my 40GB died recently and I've never even been near that game (or hardly any games for that matter...I mostly used the PS3 as a BD player). It's happened on plenty of PS3s regardless of firmware version, games played, etc. The problem is simply shoddy hardware and Sony refuses to own up to it, which is very frustrating.
Old 02-25-10, 03:36 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Because you only can have one active system for Video (movie purchases and rentals) and five active systems for games. You might as well deactivate it unless you're getting the exact same system back.

My 60GB got the YLOD of death, and that was activated one for video. So now my only option is to get it up and running long enough to deactive it and transfer the contents to a new PS3, or try and get Sony to do it for me. I hear that the latter can prove quite challenging if you don't send the PS3 to them (they assume you're trying to pull a fast one).
so, go in an deactive each video and game, or is there a way to deactive the entire thing? and, if for some reason I get my own system back, is it easy to reactivate everything?
Old 02-25-10, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Don't feel too bad as the second of my two 60gb PS3s got the YLOD tonight. That is two systems getting it within a 12 month period and it is horseshit.
Old 02-26-10, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

so, go in an deactive each video and game, or is there a way to deactive the entire thing? and, if for some reason I get my own system back, is it easy to reactivate everything?
In the Account Settings, just deactivate the video and game section, so two deactivations. It's quick and easy. If you don't have the system anymore, call Sony and they'll be able to do it.
Old 02-26-10, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bahgee
If you have a PS2 backwards compatible unit and Sony fixes it, when you get it back does it retain the backwards compatibilty?
This happened to me about two years ago. The tech walked me through backing everything up onto a thumb drive before I sent the postage paid box they sent me to send it to them (I was still under warranty).

When I got it back, I received the same unit with all my data intact. The unit had all my saves, same name and MAC address. Perhaps I was lucky and they just swapped out the bad drive instead of flipping me a different refurb. YMMV.
Old 02-26-10, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I wish you were able to save stuff after getting the YLOD.
Old 05-06-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anyone else beside Nathan A use or know anyone else who has used gophermods and had success with them?

they charge $99 for a (disc not reading) repair with twice the warranty of Sonys (180 days)
plus you can buy a 1 year extended for 19.99 or 2 year extended for 49.99

obviously those extended warranties don't do you any good if the company is not reputable or goes out of business

so back to my original question

I do like the last line in this article
http://www.mndaily.com/2010/05/02/un...ng-electronics
“There’s definitely room for growth. [Profita] can’t stick with PS3s forever,” Zheng said.
... if the failure rate continues that way it has been there will be lots more money for them to make
Old 05-07-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bahgee
I believe if you pay extra you will get it back. I remember reading that they could replace it with a SLIM for $150, or pay like $180 for your BC unit.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.