Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Does Playing alot of CD's on a DVD Player cause Problems?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Does Playing alot of CD's on a DVD Player cause Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-00, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(I tried this question before and was hoping for a few more opinions. I think maybe it was the title of the post. So I'll try again with a new one.)
I have a JVC-501 that is now dead. I replaced it with a Sony 560 and love it. I do play CD's on it a little more then once in a while. I was told that playing alot of CD's on a DVD player can help bring about a pre-mature end to a DVD player. (JVC lasted about a year but it seems to be crap for other reasons as well.)

Does anyone know if this is true? Should I purchase a separate CD Player?

Thanks for you help!
Old 08-02-00, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't see how playing CDs in your DVD player could bring about its untimely death. Support for CD-DA is part of the official DVD spec, so it shouldn't cause a problem. And, CDs sound better when played in most DVD players (if you use digital out, that is...)
Old 08-02-00, 04:52 AM

I think he means problem that might arise with the laser or moving parts. I would imagine it would affect the units life, depending on how many cds you play.

Joe
Old 08-02-00, 05:02 AM

Everything wears with uses. I truly don't think playing CDs on your DVD player will harm it in the least. I've babied equipment and had it break and I've abused things and had them last for years. Go for it and enjoy your system to it's fullest.
Greg
Old 08-02-00, 07:55 AM

Well lots of electronic equipment has a mean time before failure(MTBF) and playing CDs will log more minutes on your dvd, thus approaching the MTBF. This doesnt mean that it will fail sooner than normal. The MTBF is just an estimate of samples of your equipment that are tested and their respected time logged before failure.
Old 08-03-00, 10:24 PM

Spoken like a true quality control professional.