Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD Changer? Which One?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD Changer? Which One?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-00, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found myself with quite a balance in Amazon Gift Certificates, and am planning on buying a DVD Changer (also for use a a CD player)

HELP! Thats all I know!

I had been looking at the Toshiba, but hear that you can't do the Random play across all CDs on it. Then again, I can't seem to find any DVD players that do.

Can you guys help me out?

Which of the players below (assume money is not an issue) would you recommend?
Reliability? Features (mainly in regards to random play and usability).

I would really like to stay within the selection at Amazon. I believe that includes:

* Sony DVP-C650D DVD Player
* Toshiba SD-4109X 6-Disc Carousel DVD-Video Player
* Pioneer DV-F727 301-Disc DVD/CD Changer (although I'm not so fond on loading these things)
* Harman Kardon DVD5 5-Disc DVD Changer
RCA RC5910P 5-Disc DVD/CD Changer

If this selection is truly bad, I will consider using actual money.

Thanks

Mike
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by mikejacobs (edited August 01, 2000).]
Old 08-03-00, 03:28 PM
Banned

Have you considered the Sony 200 DVD/CD Cahnger - I have this model and am happy with it
Old 08-03-00, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Sony just released it's newest 5-DVD changers the C660 and the C670D so you might want to pass on the older C650D and wait for Amazon to list the new models. All of the Sonys do shuffle between discs but do not play CD-Rs unless you luck into finding some type of blank discs that they will read. Amazon also seems pretty high-priced. I ordered the new C660 through http://www.onecall.com for $319 shipped. Have to call them to get a good price as their website only lists the lowest price that Sony will allow them to advertise.

I would pass on the Toshiba as there have been many reported problems with it and it won't shuffle between CDs and DVDs.

The Pioneer is a monster both in size and price but sure would be a beaut.

Don't know squat about the H/K.

I would steer away from the RCA as there seem to be a fair number of new discs that the RCA players choke on. Don't know about that particular model however.

------------------
Mugwump's DVDs
Old 08-03-00, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Staying within those choices, I would go with either the Sony or Toshiba.

I have never owned a Sony DVD, but I have read the review for this player when I was looking for a disc changer DVD player and it was good. I originally considered the Sony 200 disc, but I want a theif to have some sort of challenge stealing my entire DVD collection.

I have owned 3 Toshiba DVD players(2109,3109,6109) and I loved them all.

The 5 disc I finally went with was the Panasonic C-220 mainly for price($235 shipped). It has worked flawlessly for six months playing cds and DVDs through the optical output and s-video.
Old 08-03-00, 07:21 PM

I got my 301 disc Pioneer DV-F727 for $580 shipped from www.onecall.com although I've had a few problems with it. onecall has been very good so far about helping me get things replaced. I'd highly recommend them.

------------------
People say nothing is forever. If that's true how do you explain herpes or the Greatful Dead. I say forever is for people who got the balls to make it last.