TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

CW Renews Supernatural, Vampire Diaries, Gossip Girl, 90210 and Top Model

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-10, 12:46 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
CW Renews Supernatural, Vampire Diaries, Gossip Girl, 90210 and Top Model

http://blog.cwtv.com/2010/02/16/the-...r-five-series/
Freshman Hit “The Vampire Diaries,” “Gossip Girl,” “90210,” “Supernatural” and “America’s Next Top Model” To Return Next Season

The CW Network has given early pickups to five series for next season, including four signature dramas and the reality hit AMERICA’S NEXT TOP MODEL. All five shows will return in Fall 2010.

The series receiving early renewals include this season’s breakout hit THE VAMPIRE DIARIES, The CW’s most-watched show (4.6 million viewers) and the network’s number one show among adults 18-34 (2.5/8). THE VAMPIRE DIARIES premiere generated the largest audience in network history for a series debut (5.7 million total viewers). THE VAMPIRE DIARIES has improved The CW’s performance Thursday at 8:00 p.m. by 114% among women 18-34 this season. The network also renewed fan favorite SUPERNATURAL, which will enter its sixth season next year. SUPERNATURAL has one of the most loyal audiences of any show on television and does heroic work in a perennially tough time period. It has improved over last season among women and adults 18-34 (29% and 8%, respectively) this season, a remarkable accomplishment for a fifth-year show.

Also given early pickups for next season are The CW’s Monday night sensation GOSSIP GIRL,which is The CW’s number one show among its target demographic of women 18-34, and Tuesday’s trend-setting drama, 90210, which sees some of TV’s largest percent increases from DVR playback, nearly doubling its women 18-34 live-only ratings once live+7 data is included. Wednesday anchor AMERICA’S NEXT TOP MODEL will also be back for cycles 15 and 16 with superstar Tyra Banks and new groups of aspiring models. AMERICA’S NEXT TOP MODEL continues to rank second in the competitive Wednesday 8:00 p.m. hour among young women 18-34 (3.4/10).
Old 02-16-10, 12:47 PM
Suspended

Re: CW Renews Supernatural, Vampire Diaries, Gossip Girl, 90210 and Top Model

Still in Limbo:
One Tree Hill and Smallville - both because of how high paid some of the actors are. I'm pretty confident at least one, if not both will be back. Keep in mind many of the OTH stars signed two year contracts (all the main characters...) and word is they want to cut atleast one (I'm betting on the combo of Mouth/Milly, maybe making them guest stars?). I have no idea on Smallville, but it has big DVD/BD and International sales. It 'made' Friday night for CW and I can see them pairing it with Supernatural for it's likely last season (for both shows). CW will probably air something similar after TVD, maybe the Betwixt (spelling?) Pilot about witches.

Melrose Place - It's DEAD. They all know it, too. Enjoy the last five episodes because unless a miracle happens...it's toast/

Life Unexpected - I'd say it's coming back. It'll be harder if both OTH and Smallville get picked up, but I think CW likes the buzz. It did similar numbers to OTH last night, which is a good thing, and it's real test will be when GG returns if people tune in for GG (at 9pm) but not at 8pm for Lux.

Am I missing anything?

Last edited by Gizmo; 02-16-10 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-16-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Hmmm, don't know if I'll even be back when GG comes back next month. It's fallen off a cliff this year and I don't even know what's going on half the time.
Old 02-16-10, 01:03 PM
Suspended

GG is really bad. I still watch it because the GF somewhat enjoys it...but if it was canned, I wouldn't have shed a tear. It's gotten really bad. Season 4 might be the last if CW has an awesome Pilot season as it would leave Warner with 90/100ish episodes which is perfect for Syndication. Would make a good pair with The O.C.
Old 02-16-10, 01:06 PM
Suspended

The decision on OTH and probably Smallville will be made shortly (next few weeks). Both shows only have a few episodes left (5?), and CW will allow them time to refocus if they need to, to give closure to fans (i.e. probably bring back Lucas/Peyton). It's exactly why they chose to put OTH first with Lux vs. GG.
Old 02-16-10, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Good news on Vampire Diaries. I may watch S3 of GG this summer, but (no spoilers) heard it's been a very uneven season. Frankly S2 didn't make me rush out to watch once S3 arrived.

At the rate it's going I'd welcome back Smallville for a 10th season. That is of course based on the remainder of this season keeping the same quality as the front half of this season.

I've also been pleased with Lux, so I'd be glad to have that back as well.
Old 02-16-10, 01:17 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Superman07
Good news on Vampire Diaries. I may watch S3 of GG this summer, but (no spoilers) heard it's been a very uneven season. Frankly S2 didn't make me rush out to watch once S3 arrived.

At the rate it's going I'd welcome back Smallville for a 10th season. That is of course based on the remainder of this season keeping the same quality as the front half of this season.

I've also been pleased with Lux, so I'd be glad to have that back as well.
Without giving out Spoilers, One Tree Hill made made the wise decision with a 4 year jump. College just isn't that exciting (see The O.C., Veronica Mars, Gossip Girl etc.) At least in 90210's case, I think they are all Sophmores so they have a few seasons left.
Old 02-16-10, 01:31 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Even tho I am a fan, I'm not sure what to make of the Supernatural renewal, to be honest.
Old 02-16-10, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Without giving out Spoilers, One Tree Hill made made the wise decision with a 4 year jump. College just isn't that exciting (see The O.C., Veronica Mars, Gossip Girl etc.) At least in 90210's case, I think they are all Sophmores so they have a few seasons left.
I was thinking that could have been a good move for GG. There was always more than enough "grown up" drama in S1/2, so I think that would have been a natural fit. Instead you're left with what I presume is a contrived situation where the characters end up in the same location. I will say Dawson's Creek did seem to manage the college years fairly well.
Old 02-16-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

If I were the CW, I would renew One Tree Hill for a 13 episode final season and pair it once again with Gossip Girl on Monday nights. Then, I would also renew LUX as a 13 episode midseason series again and launch it after Tree Hill ends. That way you keep both shows and fans happy and save on production costs. But, I'm just a lowly TV watcher and not a high paid executive like Dawn Ostroff.

The CW still needs programming on Wednesday's which are repeats without Top Model. 1 hour on Tuesday's after Melrose gets the axe and 1 hour on Friday's.
Old 02-16-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Eric Kripke will also return as showrunner for Supernatural.

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....irl-90210.html
Old 02-16-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please give Smallville one more season
Old 02-16-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Even tho I am a fan, I'm not sure what to make of the Supernatural renewal, to be honest.
+1 They keep saying they're ready to wrap up the series and then it gets renewed again. We're headed toward the apocalypse, can it just happen or get thwarted already?

Not surprised by Vampire Diaries even if I personally find it a little slow. Smallville just needs to go. The CW should agree to let it end and make next season the last. It has gotten much better this season, but I think the writers keep expecting each season to be the last and start spewing their best ideas. Please wrap it up!
Old 02-16-10, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've really enjoyed "90210" and "Vampire Diaries" this year, I'm glad they'll be back in the fall. Beyond that I don't really care about many of the remaining shows although I'd be interested in seeing what "Life Unexpected" can do with another 13 episodes.

I've watched "One Tree Hill" from the beginning, but as long as the series gets a real finale I would actually be happy for it to go this season...
Old 02-16-10, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

One Tree Hill really needs to end, and Gossip Girl hasn't been worth watching since the midway point of season two.
Old 02-16-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
One Tree Hill really needs to end
Have you followed it this season? It's actually been pretty good. Alot more fun episodes than dark dreary ones that have plagued the last 2 seasons since the reboot. As long as Mark Schwahn is still involved with the show, I think it still as 1 more year left in it.

I can definitely see them cutting someone like Lee Norris (Mouth) or Lisa Goldstein (Millie) to save on costs for next season. Hell, Paul Johannson is no longer on the show and Antwon Tanner is rotting in jail, so it can't be that expensive to renew it one mor year. As long as Bethany Joy Galeotti, James Lafferty and Sophia Bush come back, then the show will be fine for a final season.
Old 02-16-10, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts

Guess that Melrose is dead. Too bad - fantastic eye candy in that show and it was improving.

GG has gotten really lame, so if it went away, I really wouldn't miss it.

Not really sure what more they can do with OTH (although they really should put Brooke and Mouth together at the end as that was kind of hinted at earlier in the series).

90210? Don't know - it's just kind of there. If anything, I've totally forgotten about it and haven't missed it.

I'd like to see Smallville go on.
Old 02-16-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, part of me wishes they would cancel GG because for some reason I just cant give up on it...
Old 02-16-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

If Smallville is renewed I would look for a severe drop in quality like we saw last season after the renewal.
Old 02-16-10, 02:18 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DJariya
If I were the CW, I would renew One Tree Hill for a 13 episode final season and pair it once again with Gossip Girl on Monday nights. Then, I would also renew LUX as a 13 episode midseason series again and launch it after Tree Hill ends. That way you keep both shows and fans happy and save on production costs. But, I'm just a lowly TV watcher and not a high paid executive like Dawn Ostroff.

The CW still needs programming on Wednesday's which are repeats without Top Model. 1 hour on Tuesday's after Melrose gets the axe and 1 hour on Friday's.
Pushing OTH to midseason (final 13) makes more sense. Don't make Lux go on a 8-9 month hiatus. OTH fans will find the final 13 episodes (if it ever happens).
Old 02-16-10, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Timber
If Smallville is renewed I would look for a severe drop in quality like we saw last season after the renewal.
I disagree. I think if it gets a 10th and final season, then I think they can finally map out the show and give it proper closure. I think the CW is probably still negotiating with Tom Welling and other cast members to get them signed for a 10th season.

It's a shame that Melrose Place is more than likely dead. Katie Cassidy I think has emerged as star. I hope she gets casted in some Pilot so we can see her again in the Fall.
Old 02-16-10, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think One Tree Hill has fallen off from the last couple seasons, myself. It hasn't been horrible this season, but I find myself almost stuck watching it out of habit more than anything else at this point. The one main redeeming thing so far, imo, is Jana Kramer (who plays Alex). I hope they keep her on if they do another season.
Old 02-16-10, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Pushing OTH to midseason (final 13) makes more sense. Don't make Lux go on a 8-9 month hiatus. OTH fans will find the final 13 episodes (if it ever happens).
Your right. I remember they successfully launched season 5 in January (the strike year) Hardcore OTH fans will definitely find it. Lux is still way too new, so it could use a late Summer promotional push and Fall launch.
Old 02-16-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Wasn't the whole point of Supernatural to wrap up at the end of it's 5th season?

I guess if you're making money, you may as well stretch it out - I guess that's why we're getting so many "freak-of-the-week" episodes with the big storyline taking less time per-episode.
Old 02-16-10, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Wasn't the whole point of Supernatural to wrap up at the end of it's 5th season?

I guess if you're making money, you may as well stretch it out - I guess that's why we're getting so many "freak-of-the-week" episodes with the big storyline taking less time per-episode.
A lot of genre shows reboot after a couple seasons. Buffy was originally mapped out as a 5-year show that was extended by 2 years. 'Alias' wrapped Abrams original idea by the end of season 2 but went on for 3 more years. "The X-Files" went on without Mulder.

The episodes probably won't be as good as what came before but it's happened time after time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.