DVD Talk
Old Dogs, Princess & the Frog, Toy Story 1&2 $5/$10 Coupons [Archive] - Page 3 - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Old Dogs, Princess & the Frog, Toy Story 1&2 $5/$10 Coupons

Pages : 1 2 [3]

JediJones
03-23-10, 12:33 AM
I don't see a $10 combo discount listed in TRU's like in the other stores's ads, so that $17 price is their normal $22 price minus $5 on each (effectively TRU's $10 combo discount). Getting TGT to put their own $10 combo discount on top of TRU's $10 combo discount seems unlikely, but I suppose you can try it and MIGHT get lucky. I'll try it too but I expect a big NO. If that doesn't work, then I'll use the Fry's ad for $19.97 ea with the $10 mfg. coupons on each and expect TGT's $10 combo discount. That would be $10 for both.

One basis for denying it would be that Target's discounted price of $17.99 is cheaper than Fry's $19.99 price. But you'd have to find the Mozart of cashiers to catch that. Of course at Target this has to be done at the customer service desk, but the people there at mine are basically the same as cashiers.

My hope is that if you attempt this early enough with the TRU ad, the clerk won't even be aware Target's offering that $10 discount. I'm also planning to lay the ad on the table, "pointing" to $16.99 with my finger covering the "save an additional $10" part. I've already had cashiers just type in the price when doing it like that without taking a closer look at the ad. Of course I've had others who practically try to get the ad sent away to the FBI to be forensically analyzed before typing in the match.

Technically, Target should offer you the $16.99 price when matching TRU without deducting an additional $5. So they would really have to type in the $21.99 each price, and then let the computer do its work of deducting the $5 to get there. If you're the first one in the store tomorrow and find the clerk who can figure that out before checking you out, then I'll buy you the giant Ultimate Buzz Lightyear toy. :fc: Doesn't count if they ask a manager though. ;)

noazrk
03-23-10, 02:30 AM
The Toy Story deal is SO insane ($7 each combo pack or lower after the $10 coupon) that if you buy two of them just for the free movie tickets & Disney Rewards points you could probably trade them in used somewhere for $7-$10 store credit and basically get FREE movie tickets!

Since we have a family of 4 I'm considering it!

I printed off each $10 coupon twice, after it printed I hit backspace twice and it automatically printed again ;-)

I never thought about Target price matching TRU and THEN ALSO getting the $10 combo discount....now THAT would be insane!

I'm going there first thing in the morning around 9am so I'm definitely using the TRU ad but my only motive is to get the extra $1 off per title, anything else is gravy.

There is flawed logic with some of you trying to use two different coupons based on WHY you got them (ugrades etc.) because ALL the coupons, $5, $8, $10 say "Manufacturer's Coupon" on them + they basically look the same except for the $ amount. You can TRY for sure but likely it's not going to fly unless you buy a bunch of stuff, wait for it all to get bagged and then hand the cashier a bunch of coupons.....it doesn't hurt to talk to them while they scan coupons so they don't pay attention also.

I may try it and act stupid if they catch it, but I'm already getting them for around $7 out the door each anyways. Also, I'm going to test my luck with the Target $3 coupon.

JediJones
03-23-10, 08:33 AM
Done and done! I got the movies for $1.99 each at Target. It was not easy. In fact they initially said they wouldn't do it, but it was because of the words "combo pack" in the TRU ad. They tried to say it wasn't the same thing they're selling. I think I made a mistake going to a middle-aged, professorial-looking woman as a cashier, which I unfortunately did because there was already a line at customer service where a younger girl who appeared more trusting and people-pleasing was. This cashier turned into an FBI forensics analyst towards the ad. She started consulting with the electronics cashier on every move, and when she came back the first time I got the denial. But when I asked to talk to the electronics girl myself, she said she made a mistake about the combo pack and that they would honor the price match. At one point I even got the dreaded "why don't you buy it at Toys "R" Us?" But the closest TRU is actually closing for remodeling and isn't getting new stock, so I had that excuse. Which was safe because the other TRUs are still within 10 miles, certainly a price-matchable distance. I think I did get lucky that a higher-level manager wasn't brought in.

Another move I made that was probably a mistake was not adding some items onto the purchase, because when the price came down to only $4 total the original cashier started fretting, saying she didn't understand and again called over the electronics girl. But the electronics girl said it was fine, and that was because Target took off an additional $10. In fact a couple times they asked me where they could get the coupons. They said they needed to keep the TRU ad as well. If I added on maybe a $30 toy or something they might not have realized how low the price was, and I could always return the toy later. Strangely enough the receipt shows a package subtotal of $33.98 - $10 = $23.98 on the bottom, even though ABOVE that on the receipt the $10 coupons are shown deducted from each movie. So the order of the information on the receipt looks pretty darn confusing. If the cashier also sees the total on their screen jumping from $23.98 to $3.98 on the next line like on the receipt, that could be a red flag.

One possible life-saver is that Target advertises the included DVD-ROM games on the packaging, but does not say on the packaging itself that it is a Target exclusive or show the Target logo or anything. I think the ad and/or signage does say it's Target exclusive though. Unless it's another "misleading," i.e. false promotion on their part as they've done repeatedly in the past. Each movie seems to show it includes a different game too, which is more than I was expecting. And the free movie tickets are in there as well.

Indy Jones Fan
03-23-10, 10:09 AM
Just got back from Toys R Us. The register/computer let me use both the 10.00 and 5.00 off coupons on each Toy Story Blu-Ray. That brought them down to 1.99 each plus tax. I was fully prepared to only be allowed to use 1 coupon per disk but it accepted both with no need for an over-ride by the cashier.

TM63975
03-23-10, 10:22 AM
has anyone tried using both $10 coupons and the $5 coupons at target?? I'm wondering if the computer will take all four or just 1 for each movie..

Snowmaker
03-23-10, 10:28 AM
Have all the coupons been removed from the site? I click and see nothing there.

pinata242
03-23-10, 10:29 AM
has anyone tried using both $10 coupons and the $5 coupons at target?? I'm wondering if the computer will take all four or just 1 for each movie..

I did. The computer didn't like the 3rd and 4th coupon, but the cashier just pushed a button and it took them. Actually my receipt somehow shows 3 $10 coupons and 1 $5 coupon, $35 total instead of $30. Coupled with the $10 Target discount, I got them both for $0.98+tax!

Dexter Douglas
03-23-10, 10:33 AM

I just got back from Target and using both was a no-go. The cashier was more than happy to try, but the system wouldn't apply both coupons. Still, considering the movie cash, this is a pretty insane deal.

Of course, I'm going to go try my luck at Toys R Us at lunch to see if I can make it an even better deal.

rexinnih
03-23-10, 11:46 AM
Just got back from Target. Love it when the cashier just asked when I put everything down "Do you have any coupons" with a smile on my face, I simply said yes, here are two (the $10) coupons for Toy Story I and II. Rang up, scanned both coupons and I walked out of there with both for $15.98 + tax. Good enought for me.

WillDLeeEsq
03-23-10, 12:43 PM
Like most of you, I tried using both the $5 and $10 coupons at Target, but was denied by the system. So I just gave my $5 coupons to another customer. $15.98 is good enough for me too.

BSTNFAN
03-23-10, 12:48 PM
Like most of you, I tried using both the $5 and $10 coupons at Target, but was denied by the system. So I just gave my $5 coupons to another customer. $15.98 is good enough for me too.

I wouldn't have minded the DVD ROM games, but $3.98 at TrU was too good to pass up.

ktipton87
03-23-10, 02:02 PM
Just tried using the two $5 off coupons at Target and the manager said, "No." Because they were already giving $10 off when you buy both Toy Story 1 & 2. Have any of you got that? I think I will go back tomorrow and try again.

trespoochies
03-23-10, 02:04 PM
Just tried using the two $5 off coupons at Target and the manager said, "No." Because they were already giving $10 off when you buy both Toy Story 1 & 2. Have any of you got that? I think I will go back tomorrow and try again.

I got the same thing, but I just told the lady the $10 off is a store special and the coupons are manufacturers. She scanned both $10 coupons and I walked out of Target with both for $15.98 plus tax.

ktipton87
03-23-10, 02:07 PM
I got the same thing, but I just told the lady the $10 off is a store special and the coupons are manufacturers. She scanned both $10 coupons and I walked out of Target with both for $15.98 plus tax.

It also didn't help that I had accidentally printed off the Canada versions of the coupon so that's why it wouldn't work in the first place then I also got that other reason from the manager. So, I'm going to get my two $10 off coupons for having Toy Story 1 & 2 and go back in there and tell them the same thing.

cnorwood588
03-23-10, 02:09 PM
I bought both of my copies at work (Toys R Us) today and between the two $5 coupons, the $10 from the preorder, my discount... my total was $13.04 (11.58 subtotal). I was pretty damn happy with that!! Pretty excited I have them now

Mattcharles
03-23-10, 02:37 PM
Does Target have the Blu-ray package? I just saw that I picked up the DVD package! Grrrr! I want to return them for the Blu-ray package.

ktipton87
03-23-10, 02:38 PM
Yea, my Target had both. When did they start putting Blu-Rays in with the Dvds?

trespoochies
03-23-10, 02:46 PM
My guess is that they're starting to shift to get more buyers to go Blu ray. This will become a more common trend on future releases I'm guessing. Makes me wonder if we'll see those 2011 and 2012 releases be Blu Ray only.

mraw
03-23-10, 02:48 PM
A big thanks to everyone who posted coupons and continuously updated these offers.

I got both for $6 and change (including tax). A guy was in Toys R Us ahead of me and got two sets of the Blu-ray discs (4 total). I attempted to do the same because I printed out two copies of each coupon, but the lady came out and told me that they only had one copy of TS2 (code for the people in the stock room saying 'girl, don't put out ALL the Blu-rays! Sarah, Beth and Ann want to buy one and I do, too!').

I was fine with that. I ended up giving the cashier the extra coupons because she asked where she could get them online and she was so nice to me.

I also noticed that each set has a movie ticket to see Toy Story 3, so this was an amazing deal!

noazrk
03-23-10, 04:46 PM
My first Target did the TRU price match but it was a little off (to my advantage). She gave TS1 for the TRU ad price of $21.99 and then TS2 for $16.99 as she just looked at the picture of TS2 next to the biggest font price (makes sense for somebody not reading the fine print). The $10 combo discount came AFTER the prices were reduced.

The two $10 coupons worked no problem so I got both for $9, obviously some got both for $4 but it's still an amazing deal!

I later went to a different Target thinking I'll buy two more just to gut the movie tix and trade them in. THIS time (later in the day) customer service was already prepared and gave me the excuse that Target's bundle is different because of the DVD-Rom games which is technically true and I already foresaw that as a possibility.

I tried first in Electronics and the guy there said TRU's is a "combo pack" and Target's isn't but I showed him the yellow sticker where it said combo pack and he told me to go to Customer Service.

Some of you getting the store to take a $10 & a $5 mfg. coupon for the SAME item are getting lucky, technically that shouldn't happen but I'm glad it worked out. I'm sure the store will sell more copies than coupons redeemed anyways. Hey, I got luck too as Target should've only price matched $21.99 and NOT $16.99 -smile-

Btw, what's up with the different packaging??? Why bother making a DVD w/Blu-Ray OR a Blu-Ray w/DVD? That seems odd & redundant to me, it's going to confuse some people.

noazrk
03-23-10, 04:51 PM
There are two different DVD-ROM content games at Target, one for each movie.

They are in an envelope outside of the DVD case.

Travis McClain
03-23-10, 04:53 PM
Btw, what's up with the different packaging??? Why bother making a DVD w/Blu-Ray OR a Blu-Ray w/DVD? That seems odd & redundant to me, it's going to confuse some people.

It's actually a convenience Disney is offering during what they hope is a transitional period. Instead of having to choose formats, you make one purchase and get both DVD and Blu-ray. For those who haven't committed to Blu-ray and prefer their library of DVDs be consistent, they can buy in the more familiar package. For those who have bought into Blu-ray, they're not forced to buy their combo pack in the packages offered to assuage the DVD buyers. It's actually very nice that Disney offers both packages.

What I'd love to see Disney offer, though, is a mail-in program where you could send them your DVD package and artwork, and they'd send you the Blu-ray package and artwork. We didn't mean to order Snow White from DMC (they sent it after my wife declined it), and they sent it in the DVD packaging. At the time, we'd just gone Blu and decided to keep it rather than go to the hassle of finding a store with the Blu packaging and exchange. In retrospect, I wish we had.

JediJones
03-23-10, 05:13 PM
It's still strange how inconsistent they are with the packaging on different titles. With PATF, they only had a DVD, a Blu-Ray or a combo in Blu-Ray packaging. So there was no way for DVD fans to buy a DVD-style package containing a Blu-Ray in that case. No big though. :shrug:

kenbenobi
03-23-10, 05:17 PM
I know others have answered this already, but I can clarify it a bit further. The 2nd coupon will scan as "Item Not Found." The cashier can press K1 to accept the coupon anyway. Of course, it is YMMV whether or not they will. My friend was initially denied then simply said to the cashier "oh, I thought you could use up to 2 coupons as long as they were different." Then she said "oh, you're right, they are different coupons. Okay!" and she took them both... I was impressed at how he convinced her it was OK, without looking like he was talking her into it... I think he did the Jedi mind trick on her....

kenbenobi
03-23-10, 05:18 PM
It's still strange how inconsistent they are with the packaging on different titles. With PATF, they only had a DVD, a Blu-Ray or a combo in Blu-Ray packaging. So there was no way for DVD fans to buy a DVD-style package containing a Blu-Ray in that case. No big though. :shrug:
I think Snow White was the only other time they did this, with the 2 packaging options both containing the same discs...

Travis McClain
03-23-10, 05:20 PM

I think the reasoning is that Snow White and the Toy Story movies had all previously been on DVD. This allows collectors to upgrade while still maintaining some uniform among their library. The Princess and the Frog is a new film being released for the first time. The fact that Disney only issued its combo package in Blu-ray case suggests to me that they hope to phase out DVDs--along with their packaging.

Matthew Chmiel
03-23-10, 05:41 PM
From the other thread going...

Went this morning to Target.

$45.98
- $10.00 Target promotion.
- $20.00 Disney Rewards Upgrade coupons (2 x $10.00).
- $10.00 Disney Manufactuer coupons (2 x $5.00).
= $5.98 before tax ($6.46 after tax).

Boom. Did I buy two copies of each? Yes. Will someone be getting a gift of Toy Story 1 & 2 on BD soon? Yes. Better than the poor schmuck who got G-Force as a gift.

I think my average cost per Disney BD now is $7.

YuSaKu
03-23-10, 08:09 PM
Local Toys R Us did not have any of the combo packs in the Blu-ray packaging, so I was forced to buy the DVD packaging instead. I read somewhere else that most stores didn't get the Blu-ray packaging at all, does anyone know why? Also, why no slipcases at Target?

trespoochies
03-23-10, 08:19 PM
Not all Targets. Mine had a couple dozen of both movies in Blu-ray cases, all with slipcases.

Travis McClain
03-23-10, 09:57 PM
Also, why no slipcases at Target?

Two things. Firstly, I watched the employee at my local Walmart open the box and begin stocking theirs, and even among their first day stock, it was about a 2:1 ratio against having slipcovers. Secondly, Target is notorious for having stores that outright remove and throw away slipcovers prior to jamming them into those clear plastic security cases. Slipcover collectors should certainly be wary of Target so long as these security cases are in use.

YuSaKu
03-23-10, 10:31 PM
Yeah, the local Target was using those plastic security cases, and none of the DVD bundles had slipcases. No stores in the area got the Blu-ray packaging at all, I'm still trying to find out why (So I can plan a return and swap).

noazrk
03-24-10, 01:48 AM
Both Targets I went to had every copy in a slipcase, one store had them in the clear plastic cases and the other didn't.

It would be a bad idea to not stock them with the slipcase because that is what has the sticker promoting a free movie ticket and another promoting the free DVD-ROM game.

It's hard to imagine Target would take them off for this movie since (at least here) the DVD game is attached to the front cover and hides it completely!

Travis McClain
03-24-10, 01:54 AM
It would be a bad idea to not stock them with the slipcase because that is what has the sticker promoting a free movie ticket and another promoting the free DVD-ROM game.

Target probably isn't concerned about the movie ticket information; that really doesn't concern them since it's something between consumer and Disney. The DVD-ROM game is another story, and I would think it's YMMV as to whether the people stocking in a given store pays any regard to that at all, or just proceeds with what seems to be a trend--if not directive--of chucking slipcovers.

Bobaray
03-24-10, 07:37 AM
Local Toys R Us did not have any of the combo packs in the Blu-ray packaging, so I was forced to buy the DVD packaging instead. I read somewhere else that most stores didn't get the Blu-ray packaging at all, does anyone know why? Also, why no slipcases at Target?

According to the Electronics Clerk, my Target only got the DVD cases shipped to them. When I returned later in the day, they had both versions out on display.

noazrk
03-28-10, 05:01 PM
Does anyone know if a coupon for Alice in Wonderland is going to exist? I checked the website just now and nothing yet.

I would LOVE a Blu-Ray coupon for ANY Disney movie! I'm waiting for a good deal on Cars as my 2 year old son would watch it a lot. There's no good deals on it right now but I'm patient.

Noah

zekeburger1979
03-28-10, 07:06 PM
I went to Toys R Us today and picked up Princess and the Frog and A Bug's Life.

+$34.99 Princess and the Frog (3-disc; forgot to ask if they had any more jewelry boxes so I could give it to my niece)
+$29.99 A Bug's Life
-$15 (Buy 1, Get 1 half off)
-$10 (Princess and the Frog coupon which expired today!)
-$8 (A Bug's Life upgrade coupon)

Total: $35 so it ended up being a BOGO for me. :)

NiCK Crush
03-28-10, 09:36 PM
I'm sad there are no more coupons. :(

WMAangel
03-29-10, 12:29 AM
I'm sad there are no more coupons. :(

Currently.....just wait until the next Disney/Buena Vista new release title is released...looks like "When In Rome" will be the next one on May 18th, with the live action "Alice In Wonderland" to follow sometime after in June....

noazrk
04-06-10, 03:56 PM
There's a new $8 coupon off 2 different Disney DVDs but it's hard to tell which ones except for a new Winnie the Pooh.

Noah

Obi-Wan Jabroni
04-06-10, 07:07 PM
There's a new $8 coupon off 2 different Disney DVDs but it's hard to tell which ones except for a new Winnie the Pooh.

Noah

Its for "My Friends Tigger and Pooh Super Duper Super Sleuths" and any other "My Friends Tigger and Pooh" DVD (you have to buy 2).

Gizmo
04-06-10, 07:15 PM
Currently.....just wait until the next Disney/Buena Vista new release title is released...looks like "When In Rome" will be the next one on May 18th, with the live action "Alice In Wonderland" to follow sometime after in June....

When In Rome got delayed to June.