Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

AGORA (2009, Spain - Director Alejandro Amenabar) - R2 Spain DVD/Blu-ray - March 3

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

AGORA (2009, Spain - Director Alejandro Amenabar) - R2 Spain DVD/Blu-ray - March 3

Old 02-10-10, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The historical/religious epic - Agora - starring Rachel Weisz and directed by Alejandro Amenabar (THE SEA INSIDE, THE OTHERS, OPEN YOUR EYES) is releasing on R2 Spain DVD/Blu-ray on March 3rd. There will be both a 1- and 2-disc DVD release, and also a 1-disc Blu-ray release. All three are now up for pre-order at Spain's DVDGO.com. The film is in English and the DVDs/Blu-ray do indicate that the English audio track is present.

Here is a link to youtube for a trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbuEhwselE0

Following is the IMDb listing:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1186830/

And a link to the official site where you can find a plot synopsis (among other things):
http://www.agorathemovie.com/

Finally, a link to the DVDGO.com listings for the DVDs/Blu-ray:
http://dvdgo.com/busquedas/busqueda?...0&buscar=agora

I believe that this is going to be the first DVD/Blu-ray release for AGORA. And I'm not aware of any scheduled dates for other releases (not that I have any access to that information). Now the main issue as I see it is that buying one DVD/Blu-ray from Spain might be rather cost-prohibitive because of the shipping charges, and perhaps a little tedious too if DVDGO needs you to verify your credit card nowadays. I might try dropping a request to CDWOW to see if they would consider stocking the DVDs/Blu-ray. I know we used to do this years ago...DER UNTERGANG was one I think we all requested that they did end up stocking. Not really sure if CDWOW - with all the changes there - still operates that way, but it couldn't hurt to ask. And also March 3rd is still a few weeks away, so maybe by then there might be a DVD/Blu-ray announcement from some other region/country.
Old 02-12-10, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: AGORA (2009, Spain - Director Alejandro Amenabar) - R2 Spain DVD/Blu-ray - March

I hope the Spanish subtitles aren't forced. I've noticed that Spanish DVDs can do that sometimes.
Old 02-12-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A valid point toddly...hopefully since the specs indicate the presence of two separate subtitle tracks (Spanish subs and also Spanish captions), then maybe that might better the chance of there being no forced Spanish subs/captions.

One more point in regard to the movie, it looks like AGORA ran 141 minutes for its Cannes debut. Following that, it seems it was trimmed back to 126 minutes for its theatrical release. The DVD is the 126-minute version...I'd guess maybe that the 141-minute cut won't see the light of day again. The specs do mention the presence of "deleted scenes" as part of the extras so maybe the excised material will show up there.
Old 02-12-10, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: AGORA (2009, Spain - Director Alejandro Amenabar) - R2 Spain DVD/Blu-ray - March

sounds good, i'll buy it!
Old 02-12-10, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by flixtime
A valid point toddly...hopefully since the specs indicate the presence of two separate subtitle tracks (Spanish subs and also Spanish captions), then maybe that might better the chance of there being no forced Spanish subs/captions.

One more point in regard to the movie, it looks like AGORA ran 141 minutes for its Cannes debut. Following that, it seems it was trimmed back to 126 minutes for its theatrical release. The DVD is the 126-minute version...I'd guess maybe that the 141-minute cut won't see the light of day again. The specs do mention the presence of "deleted scenes" as part of the extras so maybe the excised material will show up there.

Starscafe has this up for pre-order as well but they list a 141 running time for all the versions of the dvd they will be offering, be it the single disc, 2-disc edition, or the blu-ray.
See link: http://www.starscafe.com/en/movie/ag....aspx?hi=agora

Last edited by TheDoug; 02-12-10 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-13-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

TheDoug, thanks for the mention of starscafe as an alternative buying option...and it looks like they accept paypal too so that would be very convenient. The 2-disc DVD would seem to run about $45 shipped to the U.S...approximate to buying a Japanese DVD...not bad I suppose if you are eager to see the movie.

TheDoug, I presume you've ordered from starscafe before...do you recall if they remove Spain's 16% IVA/VAT tax from the listed price?
Old 02-13-10, 07:52 PM

TheDoug, I presume you've ordered from starscafe before...do you recall if they remove Spain's 16% IVA/VAT tax from the listed price?[/QUOTE]

I ordered from them about a year ago without any issues. I believe I wasn't charged for any VAT tax etc. The postage did seem kinda high though example:
I ordered LA MADRE MUERTA from them it cost 17.85 Euros but they took off aprox. 10 percent discount, and then the postage was 18.24 Euros. (almost as much as the item). They had great packaging and fast shipping (10-14 days). I liked the ease of ordering from them even with the high shipping. Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-10, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks TheDoug, it sounds like they do remove VAT from the listed price...I think that discount you mention for LA MADRE MUERTA was the removal of the VAT from the listed price (the site does mention their prices include tax). As you said, starscafe - especially by accepting paypal - offers great convenience in purchasing.

Simply out of curiousity, did you by any chance pick up ALAS DE MARIPOSA as well (that was the other 3-discer released along with LA MADRE MUERTA)? For those interested, DVDGO actually has both LA MADRE MUERTA and ALAS DE MARIPOSA at nice bargain prices right now.
Old 02-14-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just watched the theatrical cut.

I'm not sure what some of you will make of this film, I'll be interested to see.

I enjoyed it.

It's not a great film, like one that will be on 'best of the year' lists, but I enjoyed it. I found some parts to be better than others and I liked the period feel.

I'll not say any more so as not to spoil anything.
Old 02-14-10, 09:21 PM

Thanks TheDoug, it sounds like they do remove VAT from the listed price...I think that discount you mention for LA MADRE MUERTA was the removal of the VAT from the listed price (the site does mention their prices include tax). As you said, starscafe - especially by accepting paypal - offers great convenience in purchasing.

Simply out of curiousity, did you by any chance pick up ALAS DE MARIPOSA as well (that was the other 3-discer released along with LA MADRE MUERTA)? For those interested, DVDGO actually has both LA MADRE MUERTA and ALAS DE MARIPOSA at nice bargain prices right now.
I also believe part of that discount is a puchasing incentive they have as well, the more you purchase the more discounts they offer from the final sale.
You accumulate points with each succesive order. And no, I didn't order the other title ALAS DE MARIPOSA at the time. I'm still waiting to hear from them to see if the 141 minute running time is correct compared to those shown on DVDGO for 126 minutes. (I sent them an email).
Old 02-17-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

AGORA won 7 Goyas at the Spanish event just a few days ago. Apparently, they were mostly in technical categories.

The big winner - it was nominated for 16 Goyas - was the prison-riot drama Celda 211. It won 8 Goyas, including Best Film, Best Director, and Best Actor. CELDA 211 is up for pre-order (with English subtitles) and is releasing a week after AGORA...so that would be March 10th. Now the curious thing is that there is only a Blu-ray up for pre-order as of now; I don't see any DVD release...a little strange. Anyway, just wanted to mention it in case anyone wants to tack it on to their order for AGORA.
Old 02-18-10, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another purchasing option some might wish to consider is fnac.es. It looks like fnac.es is offering an exclusive press-book but only if you purchase the 2-disc Special Edition DVD (it doesn't seem that the offer applies to the 1-disc DVD or Blu-ray).

Here's the promo on the site:
Regalamos el press-book oficial de 'Ágora', no disponible a la venta, con 80 pág. y la firma de Amenábar al comprar la edición especial en DVD de la película. Promoción exclusiva en Fnac.es, hasta fin de existencias y limitada a un regalo por pedido.

And how it reads when run through an online translator:
We give press-book official of ' Ágora' , nonavailable on sale, with 80 p and the company/signature of Amenábar when buying the special edition in DVD of the film. Promotion exclusive in Fnac.es, until aim of existence and limited a gift by order.

And for what it's worth, fnac.es is listing the theatrical 126-minute runtime as opposed to the 141 Cannes debut version. So DVDGO and FNAC are showing the 126-minutes time, while STARSCAFE is showing 141-minutes.
Old 02-18-10, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AGORA won 7 Goyas at the Spanish event just a few days ago. Apparently, they were mostly in technical categories.
Doesn't surprise me, it's really nice to look at and pulls off the period thing really well.
Old 02-18-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another purchasing option some might wish to consider is fnac.es. It looks like fnac.es is offering an exclusive press-book but only if you purchase the 2-disc Special Edition DVD (it doesn't seem that the offer applies to the 1-disc DVD or Blu-ray).

Here's the promo on the site:
Regalamos el press-book oficial de 'Ágora', no disponible a la venta, con 80 pág. y la firma de Amenábar al comprar la edición especial en DVD de la película. Promoción exclusiva en Fnac.es, hasta fin de existencias y limitada a un regalo por pedido.

And how it reads when run through an online translator:
We give press-book official of ' Ágora' , nonavailable on sale, with 80 p and the company/signature of Amenábar when buying the special edition in DVD of the film. Promotion exclusive in Fnac.es, until aim of existence and limited a gift by order.

And for what it's worth, fnac.es is listing the theatrical 126-minute runtime as opposed to the 141 Cannes debut version. So DVDGO and FNAC are showing the 126-minutes time, while STARSCAFE is showing 141-minutes.
actually that translation is not half that bad. the only iffy part was the last line but it says while supplies last and one gift per orer.
Old 02-20-10, 02:34 PM

I just heard from STARSCAFE store in Spain and they're correcting their running times for AGORA back to the 126 minutes. They said the 141 minutes is a typo on their part. Oh well...
Old 03-10-10, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's available now..anyone get it yet?

Is this movie even going to play in the USA or get released on USA DVD since it's supposedly an "anti-christian" film?

Last edited by toddly6666; 03-10-10 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-10-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't placed an order yet because I'm giving thought to maybe placing a larger order and getting some additional R2 Spain DVDs I'm interested in...it might be a while before I get around to picking this up.
Old 03-11-10, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Zonadvd.com just put up their review of the Blu-ray for AGORA. To follow-up on the runtime discussion, they seem to confirm the shorter 126-minute version as the one on the Blu-ray. The review is in Spanish, but reads well enough if you run it through an online translator such as babelfish.
Old 04-06-10, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
It's available now..anyone get it yet?

Is this movie even going to play in the USA or get released on USA DVD since it's supposedly an "anti-christian" film?
Newmarket Films has just acquired this for a US release starting May 28th in key cities. This will be the 126 minute cut of the film. Link here: http://newmarketfilms.com/filmDetail.cfm?FID=40
Old 04-06-10, 08:10 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

So is this even getting a domestic theatrical release?
Old 04-06-10, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies
So is this even getting a domestic theatrical release?
Isn't that what I just answered in my most recent post? Newmarket films: May 28th in limited cities.
Old 04-07-10, 08:05 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Misunderstood as I thought you were referring to DVD release, not theatrical. The Newmarket site doesn't exactly have a lot of info on it.
Old 04-07-10, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Besides the USA domestic theatrical release, does anyone think that this is going to get released in USA theaters?

Old 04-09-10, 03:53 PM

Since it is not a comedy like Bruno, I seriously doubt it will play in my red state. The activist groups who kept calling the local theaters 20 years ago to not show Scorsese's Last Temptation of Christ locally will be back with a vengeance.

Personally I am looking forward to watching this film, if only for comparison purposes with Jesus of Montreal, which IMO is the best of this kind (a sober yet numinous look at religion and martyrdom).
Old 07-12-10, 11:50 PM

Heads-up for those like me who, for various reasons, are not way ahead of the curve: the Amazon UK release is scheduled on August 16th. The price has already come down from the stratosphere and it's a good time to make a shipping combo with other titles you always wanted to see but you were "afraid" to order.