Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Seagalogy - the DTV years

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading "Seagalogy - A Study of the Ass-kicking films of Steven Seagal", I figured I would see if there was any interest in a thread dedicated to Seagal's DTV works. Being he outputs 3 titles a year, it may beat having separate threads for each title.

I haven't seen "The Keeper" yet, but "Driven to Kill" was a big hit with my "beer and bad movie night" crowd.

Any check out "A Dangerous Man" yet ?? Talk about a great title for a movie !!
Old 02-08-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: Seagalogy - the DTV years

I liked The Keeper quite a bit. I was pleasantly surprised by it. Haven't seen Dangerous Man yet but will fairly soon.
Old 02-08-10, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

The only one I've seen was BELLY OF THE BEAST (2003), which was directed in Thailand by Hong Kong action wizard Ching Siu Tung. I remember liking it.
Old 02-08-10, 06:32 PM

Yeah...Belly of the Beast was pretty cool.

Looks like dvdtalk has a review of A Dangerous Man:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/41599/dangerous-man/

Sounds promising.
Old 02-08-10, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Keeper was his best DTV film since Pistol Whipped (which is his best effort). A Dangerous Man was enjoyable, but some of the voice dubbing kills it for me.
Old 02-08-10, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I HIGHLY recommend "Seagalogy" to anyone who hasn't already checked it out. One of the funniest books I've ever read. For those who are wondering, it doesn't make fun of him, it's more of a (often) serious exploration of each of his films with a ton of humor.
Old 02-09-10, 08:57 AM

Yeah. Seagalogy does fill it's pages with plenty of good natured "ribbing", but you can tell he does have a respect for the man. I especially love the end of chapter movie stats. Great stuff.

I guess it's the same mindset of the folks who make up his DTV market. The man just makes great "bad movies" so to speak. I guess film snobs would call it a "guilty pleasure" or whatever.

I'm off to blockbuster to rent me a copy of the keeper...and maybe dangerous man. That's alot of wrist-snapping windsheid-throwing bar-fight action for one evening.
Old 02-09-10, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

The Keeper is really good. Dangerous Man arrives from Amazon today, cant wait to check it out.
Old 02-09-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seagal seems to have a very down to earth attitude about his films. He was pretty funny on G4 recently, kind of poking fun at himself.

<object <param name="movie" value="http://g4tv.com/lv3/43989" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://g4tv.com/lv3/43989" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="VideoPlayer" width="480" height="382" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" /></object>

I don't watch his films, but he is a true expert with firearms. The guy is a very skilled shooter. What I've seen of his films does tend to lean a little towards more realism than most.
Old 02-09-10, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Used to be a huge Seagal fan fm Above the Law to Under Siege. It went steadily downhill fm On Deadly Ground and never got to see any of his DTV films except Into the Sun (mainly out of curiosity since I was in Tokyo to visit my mom and saw the film crew) and A Dangerous Man (based on DVDTalk review and a couple of others).

Still absolutely have respect for him as a martial artist though. You can tell that he can still break every bone of his opponents' based on his aikido/jiu-jitsu skills regardless of the lard that covers 90% of his body.
Old 02-10-10, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Watched A Dangerous Man last night and it was great. The fight scenes were pretty brutal even by Seagal standards. The gun kill at the convergence store was awesome.
Old 02-10-10, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Seagal seems to have a very down to earth attitude about his films. He was pretty funny on G4 recently, kind of poking fun at himself.
Err...no. He doesn't have much of any sense of humor.

Along with my own Seagal stories, my favorite recent story was one that Jessica Alba told us last week. She co-stars with Seagal in "Machete" and she said when she called him an actor he got upset and said he was an "officer of the law." That is prototypical Seagal. Not saying he isn't a nice guy under all that roughness, but don't expect to make him laugh.
Old 02-10-10, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

A Dangerous Man was pretty good. Seems like he's on a bit of a roll.