Reload this Page >

Criterion extras on non-Criterion releases

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-05-10, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's happening again...sort of.

Back in the laserdisc days, you had all these major film distributors handing their classic films which they didn't bother mastering on laserdisc themselves to Criterion who in turn provided some of the first "special editions". A lot of these Criterion laserdiscs contain extras that haven't been seen outside that format because said distributors finally took it upon themselves to do the DVD releases but didn't pay to Criterion for the rights to use their extras, such as Silence of the Lambs or Citizen Kane.

After seeing the blu-ray release of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, I realized that it's the same thing all over again; seeing Universal is taking care of the release of the film stateside as well, fat chance ever seeing those Criterion extras ever again.

Of course, there's the major difference of the fact that unlike blu-ray, DVD pretty much killed the laserdisc format overnight and DVD is far from being dead so availability is not an issue. DVD is more of a step up from Laserdisc instead of VHS since Laserdisc was always a bit of a niche market product so I can understand why those studios didn't bother investing in it and let Criterion handle it. Personally tho, I would prefer ditching my DVDs when I upgrade to blu-ray, if only for the freed up shelf space (and maybe make a few bucks off it).

If anyone is wondering, I would like to point out that living in Finland does give me a slightly different stance towards Laserdisc; there was never any kind of official support for the format at all back when it was around, apart from karaoke videos in bars; if you wanted it you had to import the films from US or UK or something and with internet being nowhere as widespread as it is now, the format really was a privilege of the few who knew how and where to import them. I saw one Laserdisc and a player years and years ago at a city fair, some guy with this vinyl LP-sized CD playing the '98 Godzilla off it and I was quite awestruck by it, I had never even heard of Laserdisc before then.

All this is just an observation tho and has little do with my question out of curiosity, have there ever been any DVD release by a distributor other than Criterion who actually did obtain the bonus material they made and put them on the DVD?
Old 02-05-10, 09:24 AM

Re: Criterion extras on non-Criterion releases

The recent edition of Monty Python's Life of Brian (released by Sony, I think) obtained the 2 commentary tracks from the Criterion edition. They also imported the deleted scenes (and their respective commentaries) and the original radio ads that were also on the Criterion release.

Other than that I can't think of another company porting over the Criterion special features.
Old 02-05-10, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by biglou114
The recent edition of Monty Python's Life of Brian (released by Sony, I think) obtained the 2 commentary tracks from the Criterion edition. They also imported the deleted scenes (and their respective commentaries) and the original radio ads that were also on the Criterion release.

Other than that I can't think of another company porting over the Criterion special features.
The DVD and Blu-ray editions of Boogie Nights contain almost all of the bonus features from the Criterion laserdisc (except for one documentary about John C. Holmes that is owned by an adult label).

The Blu-ray edition of The Rock also has all of the supplements from the Criterion DVD.
Old 02-05-10, 11:00 AM

The Michael Bay movies come as no surprise to me at all. I mean, they were distributed internationally by Buena Vista with the same extras too.
Old 02-05-10, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

The Raging Bull dvd/blu-ray has the Scorsese/Schoonmaker commentary from the Criterion laserdisc.
Old 02-05-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the newest edition of Do the Right Thing on DVD has most, if not all, of the features from the Criterion disc.
Old 02-05-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

The commentaries for Halloween,Blood for Dracula,and Flesh for Frankenstein.
Old 02-05-10, 01:03 PM
Banned

If I'm not mistaken the DVD of Bodies, Rest and Motion have the Criterion Laserdisc extras.
Old 02-05-10, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Universal's special edition of "The Game" has all the Criterion laserdisc extras, except for the psychological test.
Also, Sony's Monty Python and the Holy Grail, the 2 commentaries are from the Criterion laserdisc.
Old 02-05-10, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So in other words, a lot of next editions of whatever film have kept the features from the CC disc. This thread...is pretty much dead now.
Old 02-05-10, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
So in other words, a lot of next editions of whatever film have kept the features from the CC disc. This thread...is pretty much dead now.
Some have, and some haven't. For example, the commentaries from Raging Bull and Halloween, along with the extras for The Rock and (for the most part) Do The Right Thing have been ported over to non-Criterion editions.

With that said, the Criterion commentaries for the James Bond films haven't; the Chasing Amy commentary wasn't; the extras for Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas weren't, etc.
Old 02-13-10, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by manicsounds
Universal's special edition of "The Game" has all the Criterion laserdisc extras, except for the psychological test.
Does this include the David Fincher/Michael Douglas et al. commentary track?

TLK
Old 02-14-10, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by biglou114

If Sony is licensing Criterion features it would be great if they got the "Taxi Driver" commentary track for an upcoming "Taxi Driver" DVD/Blu-ray release.
Old 02-14-10, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Lizard King
Does this include the David Fincher/Michael Douglas et al. commentary track?

TLK
Yes, it does.
Old 02-14-10, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Note: the Special Edition of The Game is not a US release. There is only one bare-bones release Stateside, thus far.

The 2-disc edition of Trainspotting includes Criterion's audio commentary.
Old 02-14-10, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by manicsounds
Yes, it does.
Is this one it?

Or is this one it?

Thanks in advance.

TLK
Old 02-14-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The one that says "The Game SE"

The cover art is wrong, and they haven't updated it for some reason...
Old 02-16-10, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is a great thread. Not a criterion laserdisc, but I don't understand why MGM didn't carry Alan Parker's commentary from the SE laserdisc of Pink Floyd The Wall to dvd. There is a Roger Waters commentary, which is great, but I want Parker's as well.