Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else collect only TV shows?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-04-10, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never been into movies, but about a year ago I became more and more interested in owning complete sets of my favorite TV shows (about 60% of what I own is Sci-Fi). I don't have too much yet, only about 90 season sets, but I'm expanding upon it gradually and hope to have a respectable personal television collection at my disposal.

But I can honestly say that I'll never ever purchase a movie DVD. I'm just not into movies that much. I like becoming familiar with characters, and each new movie presents a cast of unfamiliar characters. With a TV show you have time to get to the know the characters and care about what happens to them.

I guess the real question is, is there anyone else out there that's more selective with their collecting? Browsing through threads it seems that everyone collects just for the sake of collecting, and probably don't even like most of what they buy (I mean, really, who the hell wants the complete Full House collection? Seriously?)
Old 02-04-10, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Does anyone else collect only TV shows?

Originally Posted by Tom87
I've never been into movies, but about a year ago I became more and more interested in owning complete sets of my favorite TV shows (about 60% of what I own is Sci-Fi). I don't have too much yet, only about 90 season sets, but I'm expanding upon it gradually and hope to have a respectable personal television collection at my disposal.

But I can honestly say that I'll never ever purchase a movie DVD. I'm just not into movies that much. I like becoming familiar with characters, and each new movie presents a cast of unfamiliar characters. With a TV show you have time to get to the know the characters and care about what happens to them.

I guess the real question is, is there anyone else out there that's more selective with their collecting? Browsing through threads it seems that everyone collects just for the sake of collecting, and probably don't even like most of what they buy (I mean, really, who the hell wants the complete Full House collection? Seriously?)
I do, Full House was one of my favourite shows growing up. I'm not much into Sci-Fi so I can say the exact same about your favourite shows. Who the hell really wants to own the complete series of X-Files/Stargate/**Insert Sci-Fi show here**? Seriously?

To actually answer your question, I collect the content that I like. Whether that's movies, TV Shows or other things (concerts, etc.). I don't buy DVDs for the sake of buying DVDs, nor do I withhold from buying something I really like if it's at a good price and the funds exist.

Last edited by Corey31; 02-04-10 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Long day, removing some comments that could have been considered flaming.
Old 02-04-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wouldn't say that my collection is only TV, but I have probably approx. 500 TV show season sets and maybe 300/400 movies...
Old 02-04-10, 11:27 PM
Banned

interesting. i've never heard of anyone just collecting tv shows. but if that's what you love then keep it up. i myself have tones of tv shows on dvd, vhs, and blu.
Old 02-04-10, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

no. you're just a freak. you should buy Rain Man though....I bet you have a lot in common.
Old 02-05-10, 12:33 AM

My collection is a lot more TV shows than movies, but that's because I'd rather rewatch a 22 or 44 minute episode than a two hour movie. I only buy movies if they are really cheap and I know I will watch it more than once.
Old 02-05-10, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I tend to be selective with buying shows I really enjoy as they are rather long, easier if you can just watch any given episode, shows like Heroes do not work that way and it would just be impossible to ever watch dozens upon dozens of shows again long with movies.
Old 02-05-10, 04:32 AM

When I first started collecting all I had was tv shows, but I slowly began to buy movies.
Old 02-05-10, 07:33 AM

About 90% of my collection is TV shows. I really do not count quantity. Although I enjoy movies, they are re-run frequently on cable stations in uncut without commercials. . It is very hard to find TV shows on TV in exact order that are uncut.

I tend to agree that character development over time occurs in TV more deeply than two hour movies. Movies are great spectacles. I also like TV sets because I get to see the show in exact order and from the beginning with no gaps.

I often buy short-lived shows that are not likely to be re-run that I enjoyed. Examples are Dark Angel, Jericho, Middleman., & Joan of Arcadia, Freaks & Geeks, Undeclared, Firefly, etc.

I also have bought longer running series that I missed on first run such as Buffy and Angel. However, I will admit that I usually look for sales that drive price down around $10-15/ season.

I try first season of unseen shows (Supernatural, Carnivale) by taking them out of library. If I really like them, I buy most of the sets when they are on sale.

I do pay attention to other's reviews of these shows. I bought first two season of Alias, which was enjoyable. I watched third season from library, but lost interest after that.

Another reason I prefer short run series is that they are more likely to get completed. I would buy St. Elsewhere and Hill Street Blues if they had complete sets, but do not want one or two season that get abandoned.

I would like to thank original poster, because I have often wondered same question.

Thanks
Ron
Old 02-05-10, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The majority of my collection consists of television shows. I collect movies too, but only my favorites and only what I will watch over and over.
Old 02-05-10, 08:14 AM

Considering season box sets have gone down a lot in price since they started putting TV shows on DVD, I've noticed that even I have started investing more into TV shows instead of movies...even if it is mostly cartoons.

And the classic Doctor Who series has no season box sets.
Old 02-05-10, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

About 80 % of my collection is television.
Old 02-05-10, 10:38 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I'm probably close to 50/50 if you count hours of content.
Old 02-05-10, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=Tom87;9982013

I guess the real question is, is there anyone else out there that's more selective with their collecting? Browsing through threads it seems that everyone collects just for the sake of collecting, and probably don't even like most of what they buy (I mean, really, who the hell wants the complete Full House collection? Seriously?)[/QUOTE]

I am very selective with my collecting. I only buy the TV shows and movies that I like. I do take chances on blind buy's though but if I don't like them I trade them back in or sell them off. One thing that i'm proud of with my collection is that more than half of what I own isn't on television anymore
or is a very rare occurrence on TV these days.
(Get Smart, Rat Patrol, old time horror movies, etc.)
But I don't buy DVD's just to buy them, I need to have an interest in what movie / TV show it is that i'm buying.
Old 02-05-10, 01:15 PM

Thanks for all the replies! It's nice to know that I'm sort of not the only one who has at least wondered the same thing.

Originally Posted by brizz
no. you're just a freak. you should buy Rain Man though....I bet you have a lot in common.
Sorry if my lack of interest in movies has sparked a hint of rage from the guy who has over 17,000 posts on a forum about pretty much one subject. And Rain Man is a great movie, but I've seen it maybe two times in 10 years and I don't have much desire to see it again anytime soon let alone buy it.
Old 02-05-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

I am pretty much the exact opposite....I buy basically only movies, and have next to zero interest in buying TV series.

(I did break down and buy Charles in Charge for nostalgia. But that's it)
Old 02-05-10, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

My ratio is probably 3-4 tv sets per movie I buy.
Old 02-05-10, 03:33 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

My signature bears testimony to what I purchase!
Old 02-05-10, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Regulus
My signature bears testimony to what I purchase!
Not really...especially if you count the episodes instead of the actual DVDs. A season box set may have 30+ episodes.

Let's assume that the average season has 26 episodes. You buy 100 movies, you get that many movies, you buy a 100 season box sets, you got 2600 episodes...at a thousand plus movies, I think they still outweight the TV shows you have.
Old 02-05-10, 05:35 PM

I'm probably the exact opposite in that I have a couple thousand movies but very few TV shows. Personally, I prefer the compactness of a movie. I like to know the story has a beginning, middle and end and the whole thing will get resolved in about 2 hours. There are far too many TV shows out there that never actually get resolved, of the few that actually have developing storylines. That drives me crazy. Then of course there are all those TV shows where there isn't really any overarching storyline to speak of. Sit-coms fall into this category, generally. Just set up a premise and then reshoot it time and time again. Invariably, when they do try to tweak it, the thing jumps the shark.
Old 02-05-10, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
I'm probably the exact opposite in that I have a couple thousand movies but very few TV shows. Personally, I prefer the compactness of a movie. I like to know the story has a beginning, middle and end and the whole thing will get resolved in about 2 hours. There are far too many TV shows out there that never actually get resolved, of the few that actually have developing storylines. That drives me crazy. Then of course there are all those TV shows where there isn't really any overarching storyline to speak of. Sit-coms fall into this category, generally. Just set up a premise and then reshoot it time and time again. Invariably, when they do try to tweak it, the thing jumps the shark.
That is an issue with many shows and why I will not start new shows any longer until it is known they will have a complete story, too much time to involve into a program that will just be canceled on a cliffhanger, no thanks.

I do own Heroes, you cannot just sit down and watch any episode, it is basically a seventeen hour movie, so I really cannot own too much shows in that format, now Star Trek - The Next Generation I can, self contained episodes which seem to be a lost art within hour long programs for the most part. There are the shows that have a episode story they complete with a season long story which works out fine, nice having at least a complete story for that one episode.

I do like the idea of stories longer then a movie yet shorter then a television yet maybe a bit longer then a mini series, so many story ideas would work great as a season long story or even a half season story yet they pad the show so much before they can even get to the point and then cancel the program on a cliffhanger. *Sigh*
Old 02-05-10, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom87
Thanks for all the replies! It's nice to know that I'm sort of not the only one who has at least wondered the same thing.

Sorry if my lack of interest in movies has sparked a hint of rage from the guy who has over 17,000 posts on a forum about pretty much one subject. And Rain Man is a great movie, but I've seen it maybe two times in 10 years and I don't have much desire to see it again anytime soon let alone buy it.
Lighten up Francis.
Old 02-05-10, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
There are far too many TV shows out there that never actually get resolved, of the few that actually have developing storylines. That drives me crazy. Then of course there are all those TV shows where there isn't really any overarching storyline to speak of. Sit-coms fall into this category, generally. Just set up a premise and then reshoot it time and time again. Invariably, when they do try to tweak it, the thing jumps the shark.
I'm not a fan of stand-alones or procedurals, for the most part at least. Nearly every TV show in my collection has been made in the last 15-20 years because before then TV shows didn't really tell a continuing story. I've loved every HBO drama I've ever seen, even the ones that don't get resolved (as painful as that may be). Don't let the fact that Deadwood never got a proper ending discourage you from checking it out. It's about as brilliant as it gets.

Sitcoms, however, are terrible. The only sitcoms I have in my collection are Seinfeld, Arrested Development, the Office, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and 30 Rock. I have the intention of picking up Newsradio and perhaps Scrubs too someday. In my opinion 90% of sitcoms represent the worst thing about television, along with daytime soap operas and reality TV.

Originally Posted by brizz
Lighten up Francis.
Stripes kinda sucked, dude.
Old 02-05-10, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

First half of Stripes is amazing but it goes off the rails in the second half.
Old 02-06-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Most of our collection is movies, but we end up watching the TV ones more often, esp anime series. My first DVD was Tomorrow Never Dies SE, but the next three were the first three South Park single disc DVDs and we watched the hell out of those discs.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.