Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

What happened to all the DVDs at Deep Discount?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-10, 09:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone besides me notice that over the past few months Deep Discounts inventory has shrunken a lot. As of a few months ago I used to be able to log onto DVDAF and look at my wish-list and see 90% (or more) of it listed at its lowest prices all being from Deep Discount. Now only about 25% (if even that) is available at all through Deep Discount. What gives? That site used to be amazing for obscure titles at great prices. Now its just another online Best Buy selling mostly mainstream stuff. I even went to the site and typed in the titles just to make sure there wasn't something wrong with DVDAF but nope, nothing listed. It seams kinda strange for so many titles to go missing. Maybe it has something to do with their overhaul?

Last edited by dkedvd; 02-04-10 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-04-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: What happened to all the DVDs at Deep Discount?

Retail and apparently online stores are cutting back on inventory as a cost saving measure. No sense in keeping a bunch of stuff in stock that has trouble selling only to watch its value diminish.
Old 02-04-10, 12:40 PM

Some people are having problems with the search function.

When you search do it for all categories not just DVDs.

After the search sort by DVD (on the left side of the page).

James
Old 02-04-10, 07:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vlyger
It's not just the inventory. The real question is "where are all the discounts at DeepDiscount.com?" It has been 3 months since their last so-called sale when they offered online discount codes to be applied to orders.
Well said!
It's just not the same store it was a few years back. It's slowly become just like every other online store.
Old 02-05-10, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe they're hoping to sell more Warner burn-on-demand titles.
Old 02-10-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

im still waiting for the blu ray watchmen ultimate cut set to come back into stock, its been over 3 months since i ordered it.
Old 02-10-10, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 363 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by scarredgod
im still waiting for the blu ray watchmen ultimate cut set to come back into stock, its been over 3 months since i ordered it.
My order for the same blu-ray title placed at the same time doesn't even show up in my order status any more.
Old 02-12-10, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kahuna
My order for the same blu-ray title placed at the same time doesn't even show up in my order status any more.
mine doesnt either, and they dont send me any more emails about it either. i think we may be out of luck.
Old 02-13-10, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,766 Likes on 1,908 Posts

Originally Posted by scarredgod
Watchmen Ultimate was a limited edition, wasn't it? It's quite likely that Warners has made all that they're going to and DD can't get more copies.
Old 02-13-10, 08:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I was frustrated with DD last summer when I thought they should have honored a price match of $15 and they didn't. So I swore I wouldn't use them anymore. Especially, with all I bought from them in the past. However, best price still wins out in the end.

So in the past month or so I've spent about $300 on DVD's. About half went to Amazon and the other half to the new DD. If the price difference is less then 10%, I will always go Amazon now and going forward. But in some of those cases, DD's was lower by as much as 25%, so I ended up going with them instead. Obviously, not all there prices are bargains, but I'm still seeing enough to trump Amazon to have me going back from time to time.
Old 02-16-10, 01:37 PM

I think up until a year ago DD was head and shoulders above all the competition--online or bricks n mortar. They decided beginning then to just be another online DVD seller (in addition to all the other goods they sell), with far fewer compelling sales and lesser stock. Presumably, they're making more money this way. It's their prerogative to change business plans, and mine to spend a lot less money with them.