Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hey, martial arts fans

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Hey, martial arts fans

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-10, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, martial arts fans

Does anybody know where I can obtain a copy of the german Invincible Armour (Die Stahlfaust) dvd? It's the only anamorphic one there is, long out of print.
I think I found it on some website overseas, but of course I can't understand how to order haha.
There is a crappy "Eastern Masters" version, but I'm talking about the one with the cool cover.
Thanks!
Old 01-29-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Hey, martial arts fans

Originally Posted by Chill Pill
Does anybody know where I can obtain a copy of the german Invincible Armour (Die Stahlfaust) dvd? It's the only anamorphic one there is, long out of print.
I think I found it on some website overseas, but of course I can't understand how to order haha.
There is a crappy "Eastern Masters" version, but I'm talking about the one with the cool cover.
Thanks!
It's for sale and pretty damn cheap at Amazon Germany: http://www.amazon.de/Die-Stahlfaust-...4779494&sr=8-2

Please don't tell me you don't know how to order from Amazon Germany. It's in German, but it follows the exact same format of ordering from Amazon USA.

You do have a multi-region player, right?
Old 01-29-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
toddly, I think Chill Pill is actually looking for this apparently out-of-print version from New Entertainment:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

Chill Pill, if you have found the DVD in-stock at some German/Austrian website(s), then maybe try running words through an online translator...that might help you navigate things enough to place an order...or maybe try e-mailing customer service for help...or maybe try asking again for help here (maybe someone knows German).
Old 01-29-10, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
It's for sale and pretty damn cheap at Amazon Germany: http://www.amazon.de/Die-Stahlfaust-...4779494&sr=8-2

This is the crappy Eastern Masters one I mentioned I was avoiding.
Old 01-29-10, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by flixtime
toddly, I think Chill Pill is actually looking for this apparently out-of-print version from New Entertainment:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

Chill Pill, if you have found the DVD in-stock at some German/Austrian website(s), then maybe try running words through an online translator...that might help you navigate things enough to place an order...or maybe try e-mailing customer service for help...or maybe try asking again for help here (maybe someone knows German).
Yes, thanks.
This title is elusive even amongst kung fu enthusiasts.
Old 01-29-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Chill Pill
Thanks!
I speak German. What page did you find it on? Give me the link and I check it out for you.

Edit: Looks like some sellers have it on amazon.de marketplace. Why don't you email them? The first seller "HDMV" can be contacted thru amazon.de. Use google to translate the page to English. Should be no problem. Just be prepared for high shipping cost. It's expensive to ship from Germany.

Last edited by DirkUSA; 01-29-10 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-29-10, 03:49 PM

I find it strange how the only anamorphic version of a bona fide classic martial arts movie is unavailable in the states. So many below standard imports are available, why not this?

Yeah, shipping is pricey. Guess I'll hold out for maybe a dvd-r.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-29-10, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Every Shaws Brothers martial arts film can be considered a classic. They are all more or less equally entertaining. The ones that are considered "classics" seem just as good (or generic) as Shaw Bros films that are not considered classics. I do think COME DRINK WITH ME is a bit more special than the usual ones.

I would like someone to compile a list of Shaw Bros martial arts films that seem different from the majority. They all seem the same. I stopped buying them after seeing the "sameness" pattern. 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, 5 Deadly Venoms, etc., etc....they all seem the same (which is not really a bad thing because I think every single Shaw Bros film I've seen are totally entertaining and not boring). I guess I like COME DRINK WITH ME because it's not filmed on an obvious looking set.

Last edited by toddly6666; 01-29-10 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-29-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Chill Pill, maybe another option is for you to go over to the kungfucinema.com forum and post in their "marketplace" forum that you would be interested in purchasing that DVD...maybe someone would be open to trading/selling you a used copy.

There's also a thread in their "classic martial arts cinema 1928 - 1985" forum about "upcoming English-friendly German DVDs" so maybe that thread might be another option...the thread is currently near the bottom of page 2 in that sub-forum.

Then again, you seem like you've already researched this topic rather thoroughly so you might already be well-familiar with kungfucinema.com and all the stuff I just mentioned.
Old 01-29-10, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by flixtime
Chill Pill, maybe another option is for you to go over to the kungfucinema.com forum and post in their "marketplace" forum that you would be interested in purchasing that DVD...maybe someone would be open to trading/selling you a used copy.

There's also a thread in their "classic martial arts cinema 1928 - 1985" forum about "upcoming English-friendly German DVDs" so maybe that thread might be another option...the thread is currently near the bottom of page 2 in that sub-forum.

Then again, you seem like you've already researched this topic rather thoroughly so you might already be well-familiar with kungfucinema.com and all the stuff I just mentioned.
I have, but thanks. I did get a dvd-r of it from a trader there, but it skips and I do not want to ask for another copy (I think he was irritated with me for some reason).
Old 01-29-10, 04:57 PM

Every Shaws Brothers martial arts film can be considered a classic. They are all more or less equally entertaining. The ones that are considered "classics" seem just as good (or generic) as Shaw Bros films that are not considered classics. I do think COME DRINK WITH ME is a bit more special than the usual ones.

I would like someone to compile a list of Shaw Bros martial arts films that seem different from the majority. They all seem the same. I stopped buying them after seeing the "sameness" pattern. 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, 5 Deadly Venoms, etc., etc....they all seem the same (which is not really a bad thing because I think every single Shaw Bros film I've seen are totally entertaining and not boring). I guess I like COME DRINK WITH ME because it's not filmed on an obvious looking set.
So true. There is something special about Come Drink With Me. But all these Dragon Dynasty releases, and Tokyo Shock, I just can't own them all. The "sameness" is evident.

Human Lanterns is definitely different from the majority, for one.
Old 01-30-10, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, human lanterns is definitely different. I think I have over 400 shaws but I haven't seen most of them because I have to give myself a break in between otherwise they all turn into one gigantic movie in my mind. I have a soft spot for all the Lau Kar Leung ones and I could live with those alone. Others will obviously choose Chang Che. The only shaw I'm looking for either the IVL or deltamac (taiwan) is The Sentimental Swordsman, went OOP before I got a chance to pick it up.
Old 01-30-10, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm assuming Human Lanterns seems different because it's in the Sam Raimi horror-comedy catagory? Sort of like Japan's HAUSU or Sammo's SPOOKY ENCOUNTERS?
Old 01-30-10, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't remember it having any comedy or not as much maybe just in the begining but human lanterns has some nice atmosphere and some crazy cinematography although, if those shaw bros sets bother you this is more of the same. check out the trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3nXkfp7yI0
Old 01-30-10, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well to totally derail this thread. Todd, you seen avenging eagle? thats one of the first ones that really did it for me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5TG-Wkoevw
Old 01-30-10, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
well to totally derail this thread. Todd, you seen avenging eagle? thats one of the first ones that really did it for me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5TG-Wkoevw
From the trailers, both HUMAN LANTERNS and AVENGING EAGLE look equally awesome but as same as every other one. What is it about Avenging Eagle that you like?

Well, either way, I haven't bought a Shaws Bros film in a while, I guess I'll pick Human Lanterns and Avenging Eagle. Were they both released in those massive amounts of Shaw Bros films released on Region 3 HK DVD? If so, then I can probably find them in my Chinatown DVD stores..
Old 01-31-10, 12:08 AM

From the trailers, both HUMAN LANTERNS and AVENGING EAGLE look equally awesome but as same as every other one. What is it about Avenging Eagle that you like?

Well, either way, I haven't bought a Shaws Bros film in a while, I guess I'll pick Human Lanterns and Avenging Eagle. Were they both released in those massive amounts of Shaw Bros films released on Region 3 HK DVD? If so, then I can probably find them in my Chinatown DVD stores..
Both directed by Sun Chung (I guess Tarantino called him the Stanley Kubrick of Shaw Bros directors).

Avenging Eagle was released R3, but supposedly suffers from AWFUL sound effects/audio remix nonsense some titles unfortunately received. Human Lanterns has a nice domestic release.

But if you're going to Chinatown you'll probably find a version with the original english dub, at least. The proper R3 releases did not get the dubs.

Last edited by Chill Pill; 01-31-10 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-31-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You guys ain't kidding about the Shaw stuff starting to run together after a while. I made the mistake of not tracking/sorting the ones I've watched versus the ones I haven't watched, and now it is a little tough trying to remember if I've seen a particular film or not (I have about 300 of the IVL/Celestial releases).

With regard to the Shaw Brothers catalog, I tend to be more fond of the late 60's to early 70's entries as compared to the Venoms stuff or some of the more fantastical entries of the late 70's/early 80's. I'm with BuddhaWake in being a fan of Lau Kar Leung...and Sun Chung rates well with me too. I've been a little more hit and miss with regard to Chang Cheh...at least that is how I seem to remember it without doing a checklist. I agree with toddly in that - to me too - the Shaws that are considered classics don't necessarily rate significantly better than a lot of the no name entries.

Have any of you been building your Golden Harvest martial arts library via the Fortune Star releases? With the end of the IVL Shaws run, I'm now keeping busy by picking up Golden Harvest titles. BROKEN OATH would be a good place to start if you haven't seen it yet...I seem to recall getting that recommendation from Sifu Linn. :sheds a tear:
Old 01-31-10, 01:09 PM

Late 60's/early 70's are good because they do not have the cornball humor of the later films. They do lack the tight choreography of the later films, however.

Cheng Cheh is hit or miss with me as well.

Anyway, back on topic. ALL OF THESE IMPORTED SHAWS DVDS, minus a handful of titles, ARE READILY AVAILABLE.

UNLIKE INVINCIBLE ARMOUR.
Old 01-31-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Todd, they are definately available in R3 IVL dvds from Chinatown as that is where I got most of mines. some places have them for a $1 cheaper than others so check around. some sell the boots but you can easily tell from the original because the covers are shitty. as for avenging eagle I thought i wouldn't like it at first cause i thought it would be some wuxia stuff i don't like and with the customs and big ass medallion I thought it would be some 80s cheese but it had all kinds of crazy fighting in it. I also liked Iron flagged a lot too, you could have gotten it for $7.50 from best buy a couple of weeks ago.

Chill, so no one else has Invisible Armour released anamorphic? korea? thailand? or spain?
Old 01-31-10, 03:37 PM

To my knowledge the only anamorphic IA is the german one.
Maybe I'm making to big an issue over it? I should just find a decent letterbox and be done with it. It's not like the transfer is pristine or anything.
Old 02-02-10, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
Todd, you seen avenging eagle? thats one of the first ones that really did it for me.
So I just bought THE AVENGING EAGLE HK dvd yesterday. Great quality DVD, but I had to stop watching it after 20 minutes. When does it get interesting? It didn't pull me in.

I was looking for Pei-pei Cheng's THE LADY HERMIT too, but it's unavailable at all the Chinatown stores I went to.

Besides Pei-pei Cheng Shaw Bros films, I think that's it for me with Shaw Bros. I had enough of them. They are all the same.
Old 02-02-10, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Todd, give it more time. the first 30 minutes or so are slow but once Ti Lung is out of the eagles and him and Fu Sheng get closer it really picks up with the rest of the Eagles coming after him one by one. Now keep in kind that all these Shaw bros movies are basically all the same but this one does bring in the fun once the eagles start following Ti Lung to kill him. And like Flix said, even the great ones are not all that different from the run of the mill ones but avenging eagle is a fun one once it starts going.
Old 02-05-10, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I'm a bit stunned that you would describe 8-DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER as being the "same" as other Shaw Bros. films. I think it's very different in tone and style from Chang Cheh's films and from Lau Kar Leung's other films. I personally think it's the best kung fu film ever made and stands apart from all others. I would urge you to watch it again. To me, the best kung fu films get better on repeat viewings as you learn to recognize what's distinct about them.

Chang Cheh's SHAOLIN TEMPLE (1976) is an all-star epic that certainly stands out from Chang Cheh's other films. SHAOLIN MANTIS (1978) is significantly different in plot from other Lau Kar Leung films, as is DIRTY HO (1979). Chang Cheh's VENGEANCE (1970) and THE DUEL (1971) also look and feel very different from Chang's other work.

And AVENGING EAGLES is a masterpiece.

And let's not forget Jimmy Wang Yu's directorial debut--and last Shaw Bros. film--THE CHINESE BOXER (1970), arguably the first "true" kung fu film.

Oh, and LADY HERMIT is great because it's got two great female fighting stars--Cheng Pei Pei and Shih Szu. Plus Lo Lieh.

I could go on...

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 02-05-10 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-05-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I'm a bit stunned that you would describe 8-DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER as being the "same" as other Shaw Bros. films. I think it's very different in tone and style from Chang Cheh's films and from Lau Kar Leung's other films. I personally think it's the best kung fu film ever made and stands apart from all others. I would urge you to watch it again. To me, the best kung fu films get better on repeat viewings as you learn to recognize what's distinct about them.

Chang Cheh's SHAOLIN TEMPLE (1976) is an all-star epic that certainly stands out from Chang Cheh's other films. SHAOLIN MANTIS (1978) is significantly different in plot from other Lau Kar Leung films, as is DIRTY HO (1979). Chang Cheh's VENGEANCE (1970) and THE DUEL (1971) also look and feel very different from Chang's other work.

And AVENGING EAGLES is a masterpiece.

And let's not forget Jimmy Wang Yu's directorial debut--and last Shaw Bros. film--THE CHINESE BOXER (1970), arguably the first "true" kung fu film.

Oh, and LADY HERMIT is great because it's got two great female fighting stars--Cheng Pei Pei and Shih Szu. Plus Lo Lieh.

I could go on...
Great, now I even want to see Lady Hermit more and I can't find it...

I think my eyes are closing on Shaw Bros. I wish I could see a difference among them, but I can't....Here are two more Shaw Bros movies I would like to see:
1. a mostly female cast (I think Chinese actress are better and more watchable than Chinese male actors)
2. an original screenplay that's different from all others.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.