Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Miramax Dead

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Miramax Dead

Old 01-28-10, 10:12 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Miramax Dead

Interesting. I hope the Weinsteins will sell off their entire catalog, especially the Asian films they've had a stranglehold on for so damn long. Maybe they'll get some proper releases now.

http://www.thewrap.com/ind-column/rip-miramax-13606
Old 01-28-10, 10:17 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Miramax Dead

Shocked! Nahh, not really. This has been coming for a long time, and with Pixar joining them, it was about time. Next will be them dumping the Dimension release.

What happens to Blu-rays in limbo though?
Old 01-28-10, 10:18 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'm most curious about those. I'm guessing Dragon Dynasty dies as well? Would that be the case?
Old 01-28-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dragon Dynasty is part of the The Weinstein Company. The Weinsteins don't have anything to do with Miramax anymore.
Old 01-28-10, 10:28 AM
Suspended

Pulp Fiction has been delayed forever...so who knows what happens. It's possible the rights will be sold to Alliance (like all the other Mirimax titles). Or maybe it's just new titles? Will the current Blu-rays go Out of Print? Lots of unanswered questions. Don't forget - MGM is currently being sold off as well.
Old 01-28-10, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I assume Disney will continue to release Miramax films on Blu-Ray unless they sell it, it sounds like this really only effects unreleased films.
Old 01-28-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone else have the feeling this will end up like what happened with New Line & Warner Bros?

Disney will close Miramax, but they will continue to release those movies themselves, with the Miramax name slapped on the box. Like a brand name of sorts.
Old 01-28-10, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Disney's asking price for the Miramax catalog simply too high or are other studios simply looking to "pick and choose" more than take the whole shabang?
Old 01-28-10, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rob Iger of Disney said he was willing to part with Miramax for $1.5 Billion.

Yeah, with a "b".

It's funny to see how so many people still thought the Weinsteins were in charge even though they've been gone from the company for five years. Harvey's shadow still looms large, it seems.

I'm a little surprised to read that Miramax's upcoming flicks may not even be released this year, if at all. Come now, Sam Worthington's next two flicks, Last Night and The Debt, are Miramax films. Sure he's bland as a gloomy day, but surely they'll get some cash from slapping the star of Avatar's mug on a poster.
Old 01-28-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
Anyone else have the feeling this will end up like what happened with New Line & Warner Bros?

Disney will close Miramax, but they will continue to release those movies themselves, with the Miramax name slapped on the box. Like a brand name of sorts.
I just hope they keep making the same kinds of movies. It's sad to see Miramax go down.
Old 01-28-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

*sigh* time to import the Pulp Fiction blu-ray now I think
Old 01-28-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Rob Iger of Disney said he was willing to part with Miramax for $1.5 Billion.

Yeah, with a "b".
$1.5 billion is a lot for Miramax; outside of a handful of cult films like Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Clerks, and Trainspotting, and Best Picture Winners like Shakespeare in Love and English Patient, their catalog is mostly foreign and art films with limited appeal.

Not sure, but does Miramax also include the Dimension films like The Crow and Scream?

At any rate, Disney seems very slow to dip into the Miramax catalog on Blu-ray.
Old 01-28-10, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The Weinstein Company is on the verge of closing too, which is a shame. I would think Disney will keep releasing the Blu-rays that they think will make them money. I'm not so sure how this bodes for new special features and such though. I guess Disney could do them.

At least Gangs' remaster made it out before the collapse. I think Doubt is the most recent Miramax film I own.
Old 01-28-10, 12:50 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

At any rate, Disney seems very slow to dip into the Miramax catalog on Blu-ray.
They continue to sell off release rights to Alliance. It's not like all of those titles are bad movies either.
Old 01-28-10, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe this will mean somebody can give Malena a proper uncut release on Blu-ray.
Old 01-28-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Not sure, but does Miramax also include the Dimension films like The Crow and Scream?
The Weinsteins have the Dimension label, but I'm not sure if that includes the back catalog.
Old 01-28-10, 01:22 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
The Weinsteins have the Dimension label, but I'm not sure if that includes the back catalog.
No, I think they have the name and can slap it on any new title they release, but all other Dimension films belong to Disney. However, they retained the rights to sequels (i.e. Scream 4 will be a Weinstein release, but Disney still owns the rights to the first 3). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-28-10, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
No, I think they have the name and can slap it on any new title they release, but all other Dimension films belong to Disney. However, they retained the rights to sequels (i.e. Scream 4 will be a Weinstein release, but Disney still owns the rights to the first 3). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm 99% that you are correct.
Old 01-28-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If you'd have told me a year ago that Miramax would go under before The Weinstein Company, I wouldn't have believed you.
Old 01-28-10, 05:06 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
If you'd have told me a year ago that Miramax would go under before The Weinstein Company, I wouldn't have believed you.
Dumbasses keep on giving Weinsteins more money. Seriously, they must be great in the sack.
Old 01-28-10, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

(Update Thursday: A Disney spokeswoman called to protest that Miramax is not 'dead.' "Miramax will consoldiate its operations within Walt Disney Studios, and will be releasing a smaller number of films than in previous years. But it will continue to operate within the Walt Disney Studios," she said.)
Old 01-28-10, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is sadder than the death of that one-hit-wonder novelist-recluse-pissdrinker who also died today.
Old 01-28-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I sure wish someone else would get the rights to the Dragon Dynasty films the W's currently have. They have done a terrible job with these releases to date.

A company with a better appreciation/understanding of the genre would presumptively do a much better job.
Old 01-28-10, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
This is sadder than the death of that one-hit-wonder novelist-recluse-pissdrinker who also died today.
I hated that over-rated piece of crap novel of his that I was forced to read in high school so I feel nothing regarding his passing.
Old 01-28-10, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's interesting that Disney will still release films under the Miramax logo. Sweet!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.