Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PC version of Assassin's Creed 2 will feature a new copy protection

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-10, 06:30 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PC version of Assassin's Creed 2 will feature a new copy protection

I know there aren't many PC gamers on this forum, so most of you won't care, but this is bad news for those of us that do like PC gaming.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6248138.html

Ubisoft's new piracy countermeasure requires perpetual Internet connection, all saves stored online.

When the original Assassin's Creed shipped for PCs in April 2008, the game's launch was plagued by piracy. As part of a lawsuit filed against the manufacturer that leaked the game six weeks before its official launch, some 700,000 copies of the game were distributed illegally online, costing the publisher millions in revenue. With Assassin's Creed II set for its March 16 bow on PCs, Ubisoft will attempt to circumvent the PC piracy issue with its new Online Services Platform.

Perhaps the most controversial element of Ubisoft's Online Services Platform system is that gamers will be required to be connected to the Internet during their entire play session. The enabled-Internet requirement is necessary across all game modes, including single-player and multiplayer options. If players lose their connection during a session, the game will pause and resume once the Internet is restored. Players will also be required to sign up for an account on Ubi.com.

As for the perks, the Online Services Platform means that gamers will not need the game's CD or DVD to play after installation. Gamers will also be able to resume their game session from any PC, due to the fact that saved games are stored on Ubisoft's online servers. The publisher notes that if it stops supporting its Online Services Platform, a patch will be released so that "the core game play will not be affected."

Ubisoft also said that the online authentication server will not limit the number of installs for any given game, a common complaint lodged at other digital rights management services. However, only one play session per Ubi.com account can be active at a time.

Speaking to GameSpot, an Ubisoft representative confirmed that "the majority of Ubisoft's PC games will use this platform." More information on Ubisoft's new Online Services Platform can be found on the publisher's Web site.
That really sucks because I personally have two different computers. I use my desktop for all my gaming, but I use only my laptop for surfing the net. Requiring the user to register at ubi.com and keep their save files stored there is just absurd. I wonder how this will effect the mod scene since most PC gamers love to mod the heck out of their games.

One positive thing is that it won't limit your number of installs before the disc becomes a coaster. Bioshock did that, and I remember how much hateful response that got.

I also wonder how long it will even take the pirates to crack this? Pirates can crack anything. I remember Steam was supposed to be uncrackable. It only took a matter of days for the pirates to crack it. All this obtrusive copy protection really does is piss off the legitimate buyers.
Old 01-27-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: PC version of Assassin's Creed 2 will feature a new copy protection

@ Ubisoft.
Old 01-27-10, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

All pc gamers are pirates

But seriously, This seems to be a common trend ; Catering to console platforms and shitting all over pc gamers. It's just going to get worse with every passing year. I think eventually most all of the big name developers are gonna move to consoles permanently. The only thing that'll be left are MMO's, indie games, strategy games and flight simulators.
Old 01-27-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The piracy is completely out of control on PCs. I would never buy a game with this kind of system in place, but I understand why they are doing it on a mainstream title like this.
Old 01-27-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should be hacked in a couple of days max.
Old 01-27-10, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

As long as the game is $10 by the next Steam / D2D Winter Sale I'm fine with this.
Old 01-28-10, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Will the Steam version still have it?

I remember reading that one of the main groups that complained about Spore needing to re-connect every so often was people in the armed forces, who couldn't depend on always having an internet connection.