Friday Night Lights -- "Injury List" -- 01/27/10

Old 01-27-10, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Friday Night Lights -- "Injury List" -- 01/27/10

Friday Night Lights

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The team has trouble focusing on the upcoming game; Tami gets involved in a controversial matter; Julie receives an upsetting phone call; Riggins makes a big purchase; Vince wants to end his deal with Kennard; and Luke becomes desperate.

2 more episodes left after tonight.
Old 01-28-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Friday Night Lights -- "Injury List" -- 01/27/10

Other than the Vince storyline, everything in this episode felt sloppy or rushed. I felt like the writers wrote themselves into a corner after last week's episode, then realized they couldn't finish by the end of this season.
Old 01-28-10, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

Watching movies in the mom's bedroom? Is he nuts?

at the abortion debate plotline.

Last edited by Red Dog; 01-28-10 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-28-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, watching movies while lying on her mother's bed ... didn't he learn from the last time he got caught?
Old 01-28-10, 08:46 PM

I've got to say that this season is dipping back into Season 2 quality again. I used to look forward to watching this every week and now I just watch it whenever I get around to it. I mean, a gang shoot out, abortion story line, an exact scene that has happened before (Riggins mistakenly getting caught with a girl he's platonic with)...

Was I the only one expecting Vince to walk by when Landry and Jess were kissing in the car? It seems that he's always there whenever they get close to each other.
Old 01-28-10, 08:49 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I have yet to watch any episodes since the break...looks like it's gotten bad. Damn.
Old 01-29-10, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I have yet to watch any episodes since the break...looks like it's gotten bad. Damn.
Dude, I've watched every episode so far and it isn't as bad as some of these guys are making it out to bad. Nowhere near season 2 territory IMO. It's still very entertaining.
Old 01-29-10, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Luke means well, but he's really a "dumb" character. Felt bad about Vince, though, his victim of circumstance subplots just dig a deeper hole for him. Julie and Matt's scene was painful to watch, but I can't blame Julie for basically telling him to stay the hell away from her after just up and leaving her without a word since his departure after burying his father, but she does so out of being hurt, not quite hate...yet. At least we get to see if Coach can put a hurting on JD in the next game.
Old 01-29-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Ugh. Feels too much like 90210 but in Texas.
Old 01-30-10, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

What the hell happened to this show?

Sure, previous seasons had a few darker storylines here and there, but it was balanced out mostly with fun and feel good human stories. This season, and this episode in particular is just one dark, depressing fucked up storyline after another. It's gotten way, way too bleak. And it's doesn't look like it's going to let up.
Old 01-30-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought this was a good episode .... until the shooting. Outside of that it was a little slow, but some of the scenes were pure FNL. I really like the Matt/Julie phone calls, I think Teagarden is doin a heck of a job and is a damn good crier. Becky has become a solid character and her mother was off the hook. First time I enjoyed that storyline.

Everything was believable .. except for the mystical urban warzone.
Old 01-30-10, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
What the hell happened to this show?

Sure, previous seasons had a few darker storylines here and there, but it was balanced out mostly with fun and feel good human stories. This season, and this episode in particular is just one dark, depressing fucked up storyline after another. It's gotten way, way too bleak. And it's doesn't look like it's going to let up.
I couldn't agree more. Don't worry - the inevitable miracle win over Evil Dillon is coming.
Old 01-30-10, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I couldn't agree more. Don't worry - the inevitable miracle win over Evil Dillon is coming.
This is just speculation

Spoiler:
But did you notice Coach taking notice of "Lance" throwing that bomb during the game in the park a few weeks ago.
I see a fake punt and a touchdown pass from Landry to Vince deciding the big game.
Old 01-30-10, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

At this point it doesn't even matter if they win the big game (even though it wouldn't be deserving), after all these depressing stories (abortion, blame for said abortion, drug addiction, gangland beatings/shootings, over-dosing mother, torn romances, season ending injury, illegal car chopping, etc. etc.), there's no way to recover - especially with just two episodes left.
Old 01-30-10, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Ayre
I thought this was a good episode .... until the shooting. Outside of that it was a little slow, but some of the scenes were pure FNL. I really like the Matt/Julie phone calls, I think Teagarden is doin a heck of a job and is a damn good crier. Becky has become a solid character and her mother was off the hook. First time I enjoyed that storyline.

Everything was believable .. except for the mystical urban warzone.
Agree with everything you said. I think Madison Burge has actually gotten more likeable as the season progressed.

Becky's Mom losing it and accusing Riggins of sleeping with her was just ridiculous. I think it more stemmed from her jealously of Riggins rejecting her advances. What is Becky supposed to be 16? Riggins just graduated less than 12 months and is 18? Even if they did hook up, what is the issue?

Frankly I don't blame Julie for being pissed. When they snuck away to the concert at Austin didn't she give Matt an opportunity to break up with her clean without any issues? And Matt declined and said he was staying. However, I hope they bring Zach Gilford in for at least 1 of the final 2 episodes because that would be such a shitty way to end the Matt Saracen story arc.

Best part of the episode was the awkward family dinner with Jess and Landry's parents? What do you think of Obama?
Old 01-31-10, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree that while this season isn't the best one, it's not that bad at all. A bad episode of FNL is still great TV.

For those who think Tammy getting hammered over the abortion deal is ridiculous, I live in Texas, have friends who are teachers, and they've gotten written up for absolutely crazy things. Just last week, one of them--who has has had great favor and great reviews--got called in for a 20-minute lecture from the principal and another board member for using the word "frickin'" around a student. Yes, that's right: "fricken'." It doesn't even mean anything.
Old 07-23-10, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Bump

This is airing tonight on NBC

There is 2 more left this season.

Official NBC Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Tami (Connie Britton) must defend her job and her actions when a parent asks for her termination as principal of East Dillon. Elsewhere, Julie (Aimee Teegarden) starts making big plans for her future but gets an unexpected phone call that rocks her emotionally. Meanwhile, Tim (Taylor Kitsch) celebrates a big purchase with Becky (Madison Burge) and her mother as Luke (Matt Lauria) struggles with his injury and grows more desperate to appease the pain. Kyle Chandler, Jesse Plemons and Michael B. Jordan also star.

Read more: Listings - FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS on NBC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz0uY2dZNLX
Old 07-24-10, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts

So will I be the only one posting about last night? Its like everyone lost their brains this past episode. Becky's Mom, Luke's Mom, and the school board trying to get Tammi Fired. All she did was give Becky all of her options for her unplanned pregnancy.