Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody Else Collect "Lists"?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: Do You Collect "Lists"?
Yes, it helps me add great films to my collection
29.03%
No, it's pointless. I only buy what I like
70.97%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-10, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a spreadsheet of AFI's lists (1998 and 2007) as well as Best Picture Winners, Maxim's 100 Guy Movies, IMDB's 100 Best Films, etc. This has been the focus of my buying as of late. I keep track of if I have watched it, if I own it and what edition it is. Since a lot of the movies are on each list, I have them linked so when I update one, it will update all of them the movie appears on. Here is my current stats.
<HTML>

LIST
OWN
NEED
OWNED %
WATCHED
WATCHED %

AFI's Top 100 1998
59%
56%

AFI's topp 100 2007
54%
52%

Best Picture Winners
65%
61%

100 Guy Movies
64%
64%

100 Must Watch Movies
49%
50%

Entertainment Weekly
32%
31%

AMC's 100 Greatest
37%
37%

Maxim's 100 Guy Movies
36%
38%

Video Detective's 100
44%
41%

IMDB's Top 100 Films
50%
55%

TOTALS
49%
48%
</HTML>
Old 01-26-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Anybody Else Collect "Lists"?

This will ruin your day then.

They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? 1,000 Greatest Films.. don't compile your list until after the annual update coming 1/29 though.

The 21st Century's 250 Most Acclaimed Films

And for additional material, They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? Favorite ~2,000 Films
Old 01-26-10, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Nope, I buy what I like not what some random lists tell me to buy.
Old 01-26-10, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by abintra
This will ruin your day then.

They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? 1,000 Greatest Films.. don't compile your list until after the annual update coming 1/29 though.

The 21st Century's 250 Most Acclaimed Films

And for additional material, They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? Favorite ~2,000 Films
I've seen that....but limited it to 100 as that is more reachable for me. Maybe down the road I'll go for the bigger ones.
Old 01-26-10, 04:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Ditto.
Old 01-26-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This.

I could not care less what "critics" say and which ones the "award winners" are....if I am entertained, then that is all that matters...
Old 01-26-10, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I normally buy what I want, but sometimes I get ideas from lists that I read
Old 01-26-10, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Not usually. Due to good deals at Columbia House, and a lapse of sanity I did decide to collect the original AFI 100 years, 100 films list. I've been two away for a while (a year or two), and will be one away once African Queen comes out (Wuthering Heights is the one I don't have, I'm not willing to pay the crazy prices for a legit copy of it). That's pretty much the only reason I keep my DVD Aficionado list--I have a separate list on there for those.

It's been worthwhile, I'd seen a lot of the movies but not all, the ones I'd seen were mostly worth re-watching, and I like checking out movies I would have otherwise not watched, even though some are better than others (A Place in the Sun and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner wtf?).

I'll never collect the revised AFI 100 list, because I hate Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe--it's a good movie but it's very unpleasant to watch.

Last edited by Ginwen; 01-26-10 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-26-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I don't buy lists.
I'll check out a list for ideas, but if I don't think I will enjoy it, I don't waste my money on it.
I did use some of those lists to fill up my Netflix queue.
Old 01-26-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I compile my own lists. And then I share them with others. Like here.
Old 01-26-10, 09:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto. Just cuz it's acclaimed or high on a list doesn't mean it's good.
Old 01-26-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I am a list junkie! I have always made or read lists. It goes back to childhood for me; my mom got me to practice writing by making lists. Usually, they were things like "He-Man toys I have" or "He-Man toys I want," but that period of my life set the stage for my obsession with lists, as well as my collector mentality--neither of which was an intended side effect, I'm sure!

I do feel the need to say that I don't place any particular validity on any given list, so much as I view them as guidelines. Also, the more familiar I am with the contents of the list, the more helpful the list can be in appraising the list-maker or publisher.

To wit, even though I'm sure I would enjoy most of the films on the list of "100 Greatest Spy Movies" published by the editors of American History, knowing that their rankings were determined by an online forum poll costs them quite a lot of credibility with me. I realize it's just a silly little list about movies, and I'm sure they do their homework for the issues about which their contributors are passionate. But it just seems to me that a publication of their stature ought not defer something like the actual rankings to something as unprofessional as an online forum poll.
Old 01-27-10, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to start collecting all of the Best Picture oscar winners but then I realized I don't like most of them I wouldn't collect any 'best of' lists, however one collection I want to own is all of the video-nasties. I have most, and they are mostly all garbarge.
Old 01-27-10, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You "I think for myself" people are all starting to sound the same! Seriously, there is a difference between collecting lists and surrendering all individuality to them. I find them interesting catalysts for thought and discussion, the same as I get from threads on this forum and anywhere else that a topic that interests me is discussed.
Old 01-27-10, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there's a difference between collecting some magazine or website's top 100 or whatever and a list that has some sort of specific significance to the collector. Collecting the Best Picture winners sort of blurs the lines between both, but you don't necessarily collect them because someone said they are the best pictures, rather because of the significance of them winning the oscar.
Old 01-27-10, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just to clarify: Are we talking about collecting actual lists, or are we talking about collecting items that appear on lists? If the former, then I stand by everything I've said in this thread. If the latter, then I stand by the parts where I said I like collecting lists, that they can spark conversation and that all the "I think for myself" people sound alike.
Old 01-27-10, 09:06 AM

I never thought of making my own list. But I guess everything else I buy is "my list". I have recommended movies to others that I think are really good. I'm not saying the critics have the absolute last say on what movies are good. There are many I don't agree with, but I just thought this would help me diversify my collection and maybe open me up to other movies I would have never given a chance. I do find that there are quite a few movies that appear on just about every list. That's telling me it's most likely a really good movie and I should check it out.
Old 01-27-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vlyger
I don't follow any list compiled by critics or mainstream publications. I don't need them to impose their views upon me because "most of the time" they differ from my own. I think for myself.
It has nothing to do with thinking for yourself. Lists like these are a great tool to learn about movies you might not have heard of before.

If a friend recommends you a movie, do you yell at him about how you can think for yourself?
Old 01-27-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll check out They Shoot Pictures, Don't They?'s Top 1000 list sometimes to pick out some films I might not be familiar with, but I won't pass up any movie that looks interesting that's not on that list, either...
Old 01-27-10, 06:02 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I've been a collector since I was five, and I guess I often include 'lists'.

With DVDs/films, the only actual list I can think of is that I've bought every Oscar Best Picture Winner.
Old 01-27-10, 10:29 PM

Yeah, I'll buy movies that aren't on lists as they [the lists] are dated and there have been some good movies come out after the list was published. I just thought it was a good starting point.
Old 01-27-10, 11:34 PM
Banned

No, not really. Sometime I'll buy collections. Like all the Dragon Dynasty films or every animated
Disney film (sequels included) but that's about it.
Old 01-28-10, 08:13 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Vlyger
If you read my original post, I specifically stated that I DO NOT follow lists by critics or mainstream publications. So, wise up!!!
So maybe you should calm down.

They were simply trying to add to the group discussion and get some clarification from you. You can choose to answer or ignore it, but no need to be rude.
Old 01-28-10, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by cpgator
It has nothing to do with thinking for yourself. Lists like these are a great tool to learn about movies you might not have heard of before.
Yes, but the original poll asks if we use these lists or, as the second choice says, if we only buy what we like. I don't think you can blame people for being confused by the wording. Yes, people might like to read about other films, but some are still saying they will still only buy what they like. For me, I like to read reviews and lists and such, which may alert me to find new things I'll like, but I won't be convinced to like something I already don't like simply by reading more about it. I think the wording of the poll confuses me a little to as to how I'm supposed to respond.
Old 01-28-10, 12:09 PM

I guess I could have worded the answers to the poll a little different. Oh well.

The lists could open you up to films you may not know of would have never given a chance. I'm not saying the people that make them are the absolute authority on what is good, but they point me in the right direction and open me up to films that were before my time.

You don't have to buy everything on the list, but do you use lists as a guideline of movies to look for?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.