Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

'How I Met Your Mother' - Early Sixth season pickup!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-25-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ausiello has listed this news on his blog.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the first time the show hasn't had to wait until the upfronts to get the good news?
Old 01-25-10, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 'How I Met Your Mother' - Early Sixth season pickup!

I'm always worried that the show is going to get canceled before they resolve how Ted met his kids' mother.
Old 01-25-10, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good news! Now they can spread the remaining slaps out even farther.
Old 01-25-10, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah!! More Barney!
Old 01-25-10, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good news
Old 01-25-10, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I'll be the black sheep in here. This is turning into Lost. Talk about stringing out a storyline. The setup was paper thin to begin with and now we're looking at this guy telling his kids 6 years worth of dating stories that have nothing to do with how he actually met their mother? Come on. Set an end date already, give us a couple more slaps and go out on a high note.

Hell if they are determined to run this show into the ground they could at least have Ted meet her and evolve the story into how he won her over. I mean, something has to be better than this hamster wheel they're running on.
Old 01-26-10, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will laugh if the very last scene of the show is just Ted shaking the mother's hand after meeting her for the first time.
Old 01-26-10, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,072 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'll be the black sheep in here. This is turning into Lost. Talk about stringing out a storyline. The setup was paper thin to begin with and now we're looking at this guy telling his kids 6 years worth of dating stories that have nothing to do with how he actually met their mother? Come on. Set an end date already, give us a couple more slaps and go out on a high note.

Hell if they are determined to run this show into the ground they could at least have Ted meet her and evolve the story into how he won her over. I mean, something has to be better than this hamster wheel they're running on.
I've read many comments over the years with people expressing this frustration with Ted meeting the mother.

I don't know if you watch The Office, but does anybody watching that show believe that they will ever address why this documentary crew has been following them around for years?

If you watched Arrested Development, did you constantly wonder who Ron Howard was supposed to be, narrating these characters' lives?

Why can't HIMYM fans just accept that the premise of Future Ted telling the story of his life to his kids provides the show's producers with more opportunities for comedy?
They can do flashbacks (within the flashback), jump ahead into the future, go off on crazy tangents, or just have Future Ted sometimes be unreliable about telling the truth.

I understand that they have incorporated the mythology of meeting the mother into the show, so that it is impossible to just ignore the issue. But can't you just take those moments when they come, and otherwise see the "How I Met Your Mother" premise as an excuse for the series to be innovative, and thus funnier and more interesting than (like for instance) Two and a Half Men?
Old 01-26-10, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,544 Likes on 2,540 Posts

Originally Posted by critterdvd
Ausiello has listed this news on his blog.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the first time the show hasn't had to wait until the upfronts to get the good news?
I don't watch this show, but this isn't new at all. The Good Wife and NCIS: Los Angeles got renewed for 2nd seasons a few weeks ago along with Men of a Certain Age. And there are reports that the CW already renewed Supernatural and Smallville.
Old 01-26-10, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Why can't HIMYM fans just accept that the premise of Future Ted telling the story of his life to his kids provides the show's producers with more opportunities for comedy?
I love the show, but it's called "How I Met Your Mother" and that's how he addresses it to the kids. He's not telling them the story of his life. If they want to go off on wild tangents, that's fine, meet mom and advance the story. They're spinning their wheels at this point. Not every encounter of Ted's life is some life changing moment that leads to his future wife.

At any rate with the premise set up as it is, the only way it works is if the last shot of the show is of Ted meeting his wife, otherwise the kids would know who he's talking about. I hope they don't pull some BS "I changed her name for this story" nonsense so they can use someone who has already been on the show as his wife.

It was a great and original idea at the time, but as time goes on it's more obvious they are limited by the name of the show and the setup with the kids.
Old 01-26-10, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
I don't watch this show, but this isn't new at all. The Good Wife and NCIS: Los Angeles got renewed for 2nd seasons a few weeks ago along with Men of a Certain Age. And there are reports that the CW already renewed Supernatural and Smallville.
He was talking about How I Met Your Mother specifically, not all shows.

I would love it if the series finale featured the last slap and Ted meeting the mother.
Old 01-26-10, 09:34 AM

great news.

and even though it is the premise of the show, i never actually looked forward to how ted met his mother since i think NPH is the best part of the show.

if they show us, great. if not, i'm not going to complain about it.
Old 01-26-10, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the show, but it's called "How I Met Your Mother" and that's how he addresses it to the kids. He's not telling them the story of his life. If they want to go off on wild tangents, that's fine, meet mom and advance the story. They're spinning their wheels at this point. Not every encounter of Ted's life is some life changing moment that leads to his future wife.
Do you watch The Office?
Old 01-26-10, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm ready for them to meet the mother, too.

It's been five years.

Enough.
Old 01-26-10, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

I've grown to like the show, but Ted is by far the weakest part of the show - boring and just annoying. I really couldn't care less about how he meets their mother.
Old 01-26-10, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

The premise is the shows weak point. The characters are a blast without it.
Old 01-26-10, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ted is definitely the weakest link. Barney and Marshall/Lily are far more entertaining.
Old 01-26-10, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I've grown to like the show, but Ted is by far the weakest part of the show - boring and just annoying. I really couldn't care less about how he meets their mother.
Word to this. I watch for Barney, the hotness of Robin and comic relief from Marshall and Lily. The hook was just a way for them to sell the show initially; now it's a non factor 90% of the time.
Old 01-26-10, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Do you watch The Office?
Yes, but that's a weak analogy. You know from episode 1 that you are never going to see this 'supposed' documentary. It's the setup, but it fades into the background for the most part and it's just an office comedy that breaks the fourth wall. The 'documentary' is just a tool that allows them to do that.

Same with the Arrested Development comparison. Not once did I ask why Ron Howard was narrating, nor did I care. The whole show is zany as hell, why woundn't Ron Howard be narrating?

Like I said, HIMYM is different. The whole show rests on the premise. The strength of the show doesn't but the fact that the entire show revolves around this premise is the weak point. It is never allowed to fade into the background so we can just enjoy the chemistry and comedy for what it is. From the narration, to showing the kids every week to the constant cock tease at the end of every episode, the writers want "Mother" to be, very much, the center of this show unlike the other two examples. Ron Howard and the Office Documentary are never the focal point of those series.

Like I said before, I like the cast well enough that the show holds it's own despite the weak premise. I'm more than willing to go along with the ride and lose the "mother" setup (or even meet her already and turn it into a, 'how I married your mother' scenario) if the writers would let me forget it, but every week they ram the concept down my throat more than once. They can't have it both ways.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 01-26-10 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-26-10, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

... and there you go, quite possibly the most I have ever typed about HIMYM.
Old 01-26-10, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not a weak analogy, it's an almost perfect comparison.

The producers of The Office have adopted a narrative conceit --that these people are being filmed by a documentary crew, that is absolutely meaningless except that it provides the opportunity for comedic situations.

You're willing to put the narrative conceit out of your mind and allow yourself to enjoy the show on its own terms. Otherwise you'd spend most episodes wondering: "Why are they doing that in front of the cameras?" and "Why are the cameras following them there?"

HIMYM has a conceit that Future Ted is telling this story to his kids.
Why does it matter to you how he tells the story beyond the issue of whether the telling is enjoyable?

You say the whole show rests on the premise of Ted meeting the mother.

I disagree. That's the title of the show, but I don't think the show needs the premise beyond that it provides an excuse for the voice-over.

A long time ago, here at DVD Talk, I posted that I would be happy if they completely stopped including stuff about meeting the mother for the entire run of the show and then just threw the meeting into the last episode.

I don't need to think about when Ted will meet the mother to enjoy the series. I'm sorry you can't do the same. HIMYM is very funny and a much more enjoyable show to watch than The Office.
Old 01-26-10, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Like I said before, I like the cast well enough that the show holds it's own despite the weak premise. I'm more than willing to go along with the ride and lose the "mother" setup (or even meet her already and turn it into a, 'how I married your mother' scenario) if the writers would let me forget it, but every week they ram the concept down my throat more than once. They can't have it both ways.
Did you just add this while I was typing?
Old 01-27-10, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Did you just add this while I was typing?
Dunno, I edited at 10:22 long before your post.
Old 01-27-10, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not a weak analogy, it's an almost perfect comparison.

The producers of The Office have adopted a narrative conceit --that these people are being filmed by a documentary crew, that is absolutely meaningless except that it provides the opportunity for comedic situations.

You're willing to put the narrative conceit out of your mind and allow yourself to enjoy the show on its own terms. Otherwise you'd spend most episodes wondering: "Why are they doing that in front of the cameras?" and "Why are the cameras following them there?"
I feel like The Office's "narrative conceit" is much more effectively pushed to the background, both by the writers and the viewers. In HIMYM, you're reminded every episode of "here's how I met your mother". That would be like if in every episode of The Office, you had the characters talking about the documentary crew. Instead, I suspect that many viewers don't even think "they're being filmed for a documentary" while watching the show.

I agree that the premise of HIMYM shouldn't affect anyone's ability to enjoy the show, but I also think the writers should have never adopted the premise for that same reason... it doesn't affect the enjoyability of the show and in fact it seems somewhat restricting in that the writers have to acknowledge it every week and they have to plan story arcs around it. To me the premise just feels like a tacked on gimmick.
Old 01-27-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by SpanishTechno
I feel like The Office's "narrative conceit" is much more effectively pushed to the background, both by the writers and the viewers. In HIMYM, you're reminded every episode of "here's how I met your mother". That would be like if in every episode of The Office, you had the characters talking about the documentary crew. Instead, I suspect that many viewers don't even think "they're being filmed for a documentary" while watching the show.

I agree that the premise of HIMYM shouldn't affect anyone's ability to enjoy the show, but I also think the writers should have never adopted the premise for that same reason... it doesn't affect the enjoyability of the show and in fact it seems somewhat restricting in that the writers have to acknowledge it every week and they have to plan story arcs around it. To me the premise just feels like a tacked on gimmick.

I agree 100%. I don't even think about the documentary part of The Office (or Modern Family).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.