Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

A home theater conundrum

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

A home theater conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-00, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question about getting into home theater as a newbie, and I figured that if anyone could help me, I could find them on this forum. I am but a poor college student (is there any other kind) and I'm trying to find something fairly basic, but high quality to use during the school year in my dorm, and at home during the summer. Since my parents already have a 32' Hitachi at home, I pretty much need a good 5.1 speaker setup, as well as a decent receiver that will support their Toshiba 3109 DVD player with DTS and Dolby Digital. In terms of speakers, I've taken a good look at the Klipsch Quintets since I read some favorable reviews. I heard them down at United Audio, and thought they sounded pretty good. The receiver I heard it on was a Yamaha, I think the model ends with 496. I'll also need suggestions on a good subwoofer. I'm trying to keep the whole deal under $700, if that sounds reasonable, and I could really use the help from you guys. Thanks a million.
Old 07-25-00, 04:05 PM

Take a look at the Kenwood HTB-503, it has all you need, speakers, subwoofer, and a good DD/DTS receiver, the VR407. Check it out.

------------------
Toshiba SD-2109, Luxman Amp. NEC Pro-Logic Processor... I want 5.1!!!
HELP! I'M TRAPPED IN A 14 YR. OLDS' BODY!!!!!!
Old 07-29-00, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, I'll have to check it out. Anyone else with some ideas?