Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost: Why no more 23 episodes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-10, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost: Why no more 23 episodes?

I have enjoyed Lost. I am new to the series and I watched all 4 seasons via Netflix on the Streaming service. I liked when Seasons 1 - 3 had a decent number of episodes. Season 4 only have 14 episodes which I read was because of the writer's strike but why is Season 5 and 6 only have 17 episodes. They could have more in the final season since the strike is over. What gives?
Old 01-24-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Lost: Why no more 23 episodes?

Originally Posted by PHMustang2000
I have enjoyed Lost. I am new to the series and I watched all 4 seasons via Netflix on the Streaming service. I liked when Seasons 1 - 3 had a decent number of episodes. Season 4 only have 14 episodes which I read was because of the writer's strike but why is Season 5 and 6 only have 17 episodes. They could have more in the final season since the strike is over. What gives?
The writer's set an end date and stated that they only had X amount of episodes of story left. I for one am thankful because the storylines have been way more focused since they made that decision. There aren't any more "filler" episodes.
Old 01-24-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

After ABC and the producers agreed to a set end date for the series at the end of Season Three, one of the suggestions was to run each of the remaining series continuously with no breaks for holidays/repeats. So the original plan was three remaining seasons of 16 episodes each to avoid any breaks in flow of the series. 16 worked better for production costs and scheduling through late January to May.

The writer's strike shortened Season Four by two, so an episode was added to the runs of Season Five and Six. Subsequently, an 18th episode (well, another hour to the finale) has been added to Season Six as well.

Last edited by Adboy151; 01-24-10 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-24-10, 01:15 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Could be worse. Could be like "The Office" where they label clip shows as "new" episodes just to pad the count.
Old 01-24-10, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't recall ever seeing a clip show of The Office. What season had that? I think Lost had 3 clip shows so far right? Or was calling them "specials" not include them to the episode count?
Old 01-24-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
I don't recall ever seeing a clip show of The Office. What season had that?
Season six. Last Thursday.
Old 01-24-10, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I think Lost had 3 clip shows so far right? Or was calling them "specials" not include them to the episode count?
There have been 11 "recap" specials so far for LOST, with a 12th scheduled to air immediately before the 6th season premiere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...5.E2.80.932010

They're not included in the official episode production, and there's no new footage to frame the clips (as with other clip shows). They're also not included in the season sets on DVD or BD.

I think ABC has advertised the recap shows as being "new" LOST (e.g. advertising "2 new hours of LOST" for a given week, when one of the hours is a recap), but since the recaps almost always air immediately before a new "real" episode of LOST, this strategy hasn't earned them much angst from the fans.
Old 01-24-10, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Office "clip show" was still one of the funniest episodes. A painful reminder of how funny the show used to be.
Old 01-25-10, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And to reiterate: There were originally only going to be 5 seasons. Now you're getting 6. So you're getting the same story, in the end. They just drag it out longer and drive you crazy for 6 years instead of 5.

An additional plus side for the studio, they make more money on the DVDs/Blu-rays by selling a larger number of different sets. What, did you think you were going to see lower MSRPs just because there are fewer episodes in a set? (OK, they did that with S4: dropped the episode count by 33% and the MSRP by 10%. Thanks!)
Old 01-25-10, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I know I probably stand alone, but since they have had the end date, it seems they are cramming way too much in each episode to make it fit. I think they could have padded it a few. Not a whole season, mind you, but maybe six would have been enough to not have this 'racing to the finish line' feel.

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Season six. Last Thursday.

Deadpan response, perfectly suited for an Office answer.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 01-25-10 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-25-10, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Season 5 used the episodes it had very well, and I'm eager to see Season 6 ... but am glad it's shortened as I don't think they have 24 episodes of content left
Old 01-25-10, 11:48 AM

I'm re-watching this on Blu-ray right now...trying to finish before the new season starts back up...

But you definitely notice the lack of filler episodes from the end of season 3 on.

Most "Hurley" episodes from 1-3 were what I would consider filler...sure they were funny, but rarely did they move the plot that much.
Old 01-25-10, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There were going to be 48 more eps left so they decided to make it three seasons of 16 instead of 2 seasons of 24 eps.
Old 01-25-10, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

But even a filler epsiode of Lost is better than most of the shit on TV these days. I miss the days when TV shows like Dallas had 30 episodes per season.
Old 01-25-10, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I actually like the shorter seasons. I feel they are paced a lot better, with less filler. Believe it or not, most network shows are a turn off for me because they have to fill so many episodes. I guess I just love HBO's standard of 12-13 episodes a season.
Old 01-26-10, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
The Office "clip show" was still one of the funniest episodes. A painful reminder of how funny the show used to be.
Proof positive that opinions CAN be wrong.
Old 01-26-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
But even a filler epsiode of Lost is better than most of the shit on TV these days.
Opinions, they do vary.

I miss the days when TV shows like Dallas had 30 episodes per season.
For a sitcom or a non-arc drama like Law and Order, more episodes really don't matter. But when the writers are trying to tell an ongoing story, shorter is better.
Old 01-26-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While on the surface you might think that having more episodes per season would be "better", Seasons 2 & 3 showed us that this is not the case. As the second poster mentioned, Seasons 4 & 5 cut out the filler and delivered pure plot. I think they are the best reasons as a result. I for one am relieved Season 6 will not have 20+ episodes.
Old 01-26-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldblum
While on the surface you might think that having more episodes per season would be "better", Seasons 2 & 3 showed us that this is not the case.
To be fair, seasons 2 & 3 were made before there was a definite end-date in place, so the writers didn't know how long they'd have to drag the show, and the various "secrets," out. If seasons 4-6 has simply a shorter running time, but no known end date, there may have been as much dithering in them as with the earlier seasons (since the writers would have to hold back certain plot points for a possible season 8, 9, etc.).
Old 01-27-10, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry guys, I just caught up to the Office on my DVR. I actually watched it as it had a few good fresh moments in it. Does anyone know if they plan on doing the whole pop-up video trivia again on lost? I though it was sort of a neat idea to try out pn broadcast TV (though usually better on DVD). I dont recall how rating went for those episodes or if there was talk on them returning.
Old 01-27-10, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry guys, I just caught up to the Office on my DVR. I actually watched it as it had a few good fresh moments in it. Does anyone know if they plan on doing the whole pop-up video trivia again on lost? I though it was sort of a neat idea to try out pn broadcast TV (though usually better on DVD). I dont recall how rating went for those episodes or if there was talk on them returning.
They did it for the repeat of the Season 5 finale that they aired on Tuesday. I just wish they had included them on the DVD and Blu-ray releases.
Old 01-27-10, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
They did it for the repeat of the Season 5 finale that they aired on Tuesday. I just wish they had included them on the DVD and Blu-ray releases.
I don't know why they don't include them as they often bring up information that can easily be overlooked. Hopefully they're not saving these for an ultimate release.
Old 01-27-10, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I don't recall ever seeing a clip show of The Office. What season had that? I think Lost had 3 clip shows so far right? Or was calling them "specials" not include them to the episode count?
That's what she said! Wait ... that didn't work. That's what she said!
Old 01-31-10, 09:46 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Only two days away. Let's hope they make the most of the few episodes they have.