Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

My Fun with Blockbuster Online!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

I was ready to drop Blockbuster Online in November after they started the "software upgrades" - and stopped shipping me more than one movie at a time. Paying for a three-at-a-time plan with in-store exchanges while averaging one movie for week wasn't doing it for me.

Things improved in December: movies being received, then new titles being shipped to me within a day. All seemed right - for once.

Now, it appears the "trained monkeys" at the BB Online warehouse have started drinking while processing movies in my queue.

{Since my taste in movies may subject me to ridicule, feel free to laugh/joke at the titles that follow}

It began with all three empty slots. Then they processed and shipped Alligator. The next day, they processed and shipped ... Alligator. So, there are now two copies of the same movie listed as shipped - with different scheduled arrival dates. That same afternoon, they processed In Praise of Older Women.

Wait - they changed their mind. After being in the "processing stage" for the afternoon, it dropped out of the "At Home" section and returned to Long Wait in my queue. Alrighttttyyy, then ...

They apparently decided to make it up to me by shipping me Paris from my queue. Apparently, they were feeling quite remorseful - so they also shipped Nun of That. Finally, as a sincere sign of their guilt, they topped it all off by shipping When Night Falls.

Three-at-a-time plan, with five movies shipped out over two days. WTF????

No wonder they're losing money
Old 01-22-10, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Re: My Fun with Blockbuster Online!

Those Block-bastards ...
Old 01-23-10, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nun of That ??

I can't say I'm not curious as to what the hell that is.
Old 01-23-10, 06:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
Nun of That ??

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1385949/

WRT the OP I dumped BB back in Oct due to them screwing up, can't say I've missed them at all.
Old 01-23-10, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly
Nun of That ??

This single line got me to add it to my queue:

"Troma legend Lloyd Kaufman appears as the Pope"
Old 01-25-10, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nemein
WRT the OP I dumped BB back in Oct due to them screwing up, can't say I've missed them at all.
Dumped them in September myself as well. Don't miss the stupidity at all. I got the three copies of one title treatment myself towards the end after their "warehouse update" fiasco that dragged on for nearly a month. Finally after that was "fixed" along with numerous free in store rentals and even a free month due to not getting ANY online rentals for nearly a month.... I quit and went back to Netflix.

Idiotbuster how I hardly miss you. I do however miss Nicheflix in case anyone is wondering.
Old 01-25-10, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Demolition Man
I do however miss Nicheflix in case anyone is wondering.
I miss them too - they were THE online rental choice for non-R1 movies.

<sniff, sniff>

Last edited by Kmical; 01-25-10 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-25-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had them for a little bit years ago and kept trying to get all the movies out of some Fox set of old movies and they kept sending me the same ones over and over. The disc sleeve where just listed as disc 1, 2, 3, 4 and not by the movie, so the same movies showed up in different sleeves. That was fun.

I also had a time where the wrong movie was in a sleeve, marked it in the site as being wrong in that way. After I returned it, they sent it back saying it was one of my movies I accidentally sent in because the wrong movie was returned.
Old 01-25-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I also had a time where the wrong movie was in a sleeve, marked it in the site as being wrong in that way. After I returned it, they sent it back saying it was one of my movies I accidentally sent in because the wrong movie was returned.
I rented a two-disc title from them (I believe it was Bettie Page: Dark Angel). The second disc actually has a different title on it. When I sent it back, I received one of those automated emails saying that I had accidentally returned one of my movies to them.

I had an entertaining 10-minute chat with Blockbuster Online's customer service - even going so far as to direct them to Amazon.com to confirm the contents of the second disc.
Old 01-26-10, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Alligator is a good movie, I own a copy.
Old 01-26-10, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
Alligator is a good movie, I own a copy.
Yeah, but do I really need to have two rental copies at the same time? It's not like I'm going to put them in two different DVD players in different rooms, enabling me to run from room to room and not miss anything
Old 01-26-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

post worthy?
Old 01-26-10, 03:49 PM

Signed up for a free trial so I could grab a few of the Dec/Jan new releases and Feb WB releases. They shipped 2 of the 3 NR from this week that I had at the top as well as Whiteout. I am amazed at how slow their shipping is compared to NF. It seems that they virtually guarantee that you'll get no more than 3 discs a week/12 a month/over $1.50 a rental. It'll be interesting hos this progresses over time.
Old 01-26-10, 06:19 PM

I've experienced pretty much the exact same thing Kmical. I've had out 1 of my 3 movies for the past 2 weeks, but the other 2 I returned in the mail 2 weeks ago and they have yet to ship me a single new movie. I've been a member for over 2 years, but I've had enough. I will be canceling before my current month ends.

They also have responded to my emails about "Warehouse upgrades" during 2 different months, with the time in between things returning to normal. At this point, I'm pretty much convinced that is an outright lie. My guess is they are really hurting financially (based on news articles I've read) and it is affecting their shipment amounts. I believe they are cutting back shipments on purpose.

I'm done with this failing company. Best of luck to anyone that sticks it out with them.
Old 01-26-10, 11:35 PM

Looks like they are extending for Total Access accounts unlimited free in store exchanges thru March 2010. And 3 free exchanges for Mail only customers per month.

I'm wondering if this is to help alleviate the shipping issues so that you can get new releases at the store?

I guess I've been lucky and been able to usually get 5 or 6 movies a week.
Old 01-27-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I just got an e-mail informing me that my membership fees were going up by $1 per month.

I have the two-per-month plan at $3.99, which was just fine, so this would represent a 25% increase.

Membership canceled.
Old 01-27-10, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only reason I haven't cancelled yet is that I'm on a plan at a substantially discounted rate:

3-at-a-time, unlimited mailings, unlimited in-store exchanges for $19.99.

If I cancel and sign back up later, the plan would cost me $34.99.
Old 02-09-10, 04:16 PM

Kmical,

I had the same $19.99 plan and I left and don't miss them at all. I kept it for a while until something I wanted to rent came out. But then I was renting just for the sake of renting not because iwanted to SEE a movie.

I am glad i cancelled