Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

BOSE ACOUSTIMASS

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-00, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anyone know how i can get a good deal on a bose acoustimass speakers only system?
i've looked at some auctions, and the offer some decent prices but putting 800 bucks on a honor system auction that only covers up to $200 is kind of risky.

appreciate the input
Old 07-27-00, 10:20 PM

If you decide on an Acoustimass, be sure to get the Acoustimass 15. It's the only one with a powered sub. It retails for $1299. I know you can pick them up at Bose Factory Stores for a couple hundred less than retail. As far as brand new, Bose is pretty much the same price everywhere you go. But eBay would be your best bet for the cheapest price on a used system.

Hope this helps and good luck from this post on.

------------------
My Site
Old 07-27-00, 10:31 PM

if your name tells the truth, you're the person i was looking for

acoustimass 15 was exactly what i had in mind
thanks for the info it helps a lot
there's a bose outlet 20 minutes from here i'll probably go check it out

thanks a lot
Old 07-27-00, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buyer Beware - There is no such thing as a good deal on Bose unless they are actually giving them away as door prizes. Look elsewhere. If you must have small speakers that are very nice to look at, then you can do no better than Gallo Accoustics. Bose speakers are worth about $5 a piece and that is still giving them a profit margin. Bose does not sell a subwoofer under the general definition of a "subwoofer", it is strictly a midbass unit to give some punch. There are no subwoofer frequencies coming out of that doorstop. KLH sells a small 5 speaker and woofer package normally for like $99 in most discount catalogs and it is the equivalent, maybe even superior, to the Bose marketing hype. You can read about many pissed off Bose buyers who now regret their purchase at www.audioreview.com .
Old 07-28-00, 12:35 AM

I agree. Bose is so overpriced its not funny. The dealers get you to go in their little sound room, they crank the Bose speakers real loud, and everyone goes "Wow that sound out of those little speakers!"

Well, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why they suck. A speaker system should have subwoofers, woofers, midranges, and tweeters. What does Bose have? One subwoofer, and a bunch of tiny tweeters. Yes, they're loud, but they have no real soundstage, and they get on your nerves. Really good speakers you can crank up and your ears will never hurt, but cheap speakers really stress them out. If you haven't bought the Bose yet, you should go to audioreview.com and see what you can get for the same price.
Old 07-28-00, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have never been impressed with the Bose speaker systems....I would audition them prior to purchasing the speakers....listen to some other speaker systems also before making your decision!!! Good Luck!!!
Old 07-28-00, 02:33 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by davidave:
putting 800 bucks on a honor system auction that only covers up to $200 is kind of risky.

appreciate the input
<HR>

If you're going to spend $800, why not get
good speakers?

Listen to these models (available at stores
listed under "Stereo" in the Yellow Pages):
http://www.goodsound.com/speakers.html

------------------
-------
DVD Toolkit | Audio 101 | Stereo411 (The Ultimate Audio Resource!)
Old 07-28-00, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The best thing I got from my Bose system was when I sold it and bought myself some Energy speakers with the money.
Old 07-28-00, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

davidade follow the advice of the persons that have posted above.

As a former BOSE ACCOUSTIMASS owner, I can tell you this much:

You can't get any WORSE than BOSE when it comes to PRICE vs VALUE!!!
Instead of putting a lot of money in a AVERAGE system at best, buy something else.