Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

PC or Stand alone DVD player?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

PC or Stand alone DVD player?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-00, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a PC dvd drive and a H+ decoder and i was wondering if i would get a better experience from a standalone player. I have about $250 to spend if I need to. Thanks.
Old 07-24-00, 11:33 PM

My father-in-law was using his laptop DVD player but he said the quality is better with his new stand-alone DVD player. For $250 I'd recommend the Pioneer 333, or if you need the decoders, the Pioneer 626!
Old 07-24-00, 11:37 PM

I would go for a stand alone any day. Try getting a Panasonic cause they have the lest problems and a lot of peple have problems with the Toshibas so I would stay away from does.
Old 07-24-00, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stand Alone all the way..I had to use my dvd-rom till I got my new stand alone and i never use my old dvdrom anymore..there were sooo many problems that went along with it and it was totally not worth it..truse me..
Old 07-25-00, 12:26 AM
Mod Emeritus

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Duck:
Stand Alone all the way..I had to use my dvd-rom till I got my new stand alone and i never use my old dvdrom anymore..there were sooo many problems that went along with it and it was totally not worth it..truse me..<HR>

I've actually heard people having more problems with thier stad alones than I've ever had with a ROM

------------------
DVD-ROM & PC Hardware Moderator
> DVD-ROM FAQ < - > [email protected] <
> MyList < - > MyWebSite < - > AIM: northrupjason <
Old 07-25-00, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another vote for Stand Alone players -I mean good quality players not the cheap $129 players - invest in a quality player from Pioneer and Sony - to truely enjoy what DVD has to offer.

I have a DVD-rom and hardly watch any DVD's on it except for the occassional dvd-rom features on certain disc.

------------------
Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.

My Addiction
Old 07-25-00, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Stand alone....Computers are for work and gaming....not movie watching....if you want a true home theater experience, purchase a stand alone player. I can think of nothing worse than watching a movie on my computer!!!
Old 07-25-00, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jason, the reason I mentioned the problems is that I know of a lot of movies that wont play or will play badly on certain brands of roms and certian video cards and or dvd cards. I know because I went through it and hardly none of my movies played well...that is why I stepped up to stand alone..

Old 07-25-00, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jason Northrup:
I've actually heard people having more problems with thier stad alones than I've ever had with a ROM
<HR>

I think you might be bias. Mod. of the DVD-ROM forum and all...
Old 07-25-00, 11:48 AM

So even though I have my H+ connected to my TV you lot still think I should buy a standalone player?
Old 07-25-00, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you're perfectly happy with your setup, the visual quality is good and you're not experiencing any lockups maybe there isn't any reason to switch to a standalone...I don't know how much money you have to burn.

It might not matter depending on your TV but the ROM offers progressive scanning. But if you don't have a high-definition TV that won't matter much. The remote is one thing the standalone has in its favor.

My PC DVD-ROM used to lock up once in a while, especially during a long movie; I've never had that happen with my Toshiba 2109 standalone so in my experience the standalone was more stable. But that's just comparing only two players.
Old 07-27-00, 09:26 AM

I used the Creative Labs Dxr2 5x kit for over a year and half and had ZERO problems with it. It played EVERY dvd I ever tryed and never had any delay when changing layers. But the cord was too short so I finally broke down and bought a Toshiba SD1200. Works great so far!
Old 07-27-00, 11:15 AM
Cool New Member

Standalones are designed for the job, using dedicated hardware that excels in the specifics, without having to cope with a multitude of other tasks. Of course you can beef up your computer hardware, but this will probably cost as much if not more than a budget standalone (some of which are excellent).

------------------
Free CDR's
Old 07-27-00, 12:12 PM

As a laptop user and a standalone user I can quite honestly say that nothing compares to a half decent standalone. No drop out, perfect sound, no pixelation etc. I use the laptop when on the move and watching a DVD on a 13" TFT on the move is pretty cool!!

------------------
Get the latest unbiased news on paid to surf schemes.

Now get the latest paid to surf news via WAP
Old 07-27-00, 06:20 PM

Another vote for stand alone,

I would get the Sanyo DVD-5100 at Costco. Check out the review at audioreview.com. I owned this player for six months and I never had a single problem. You can get one for $200US. Best money you'll ever spend.

review: http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/D...ct_24700.shtml

specs (picture): http://www.sanyocanada.com/consumer/.../dvd_5100.html

Mike