Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Criterion Film Club (Jan. 15) - Wings of Desire

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 01-11-10, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 242 Likes on 177 Posts

The DVDTalk Criterion Film Club selection for the second half of January was chosen by Ginwen:

Wings of Desire 1987

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Wings of Desire is one of cinema’s loveliest city symphonies. Bruno Ganz is Damiel, an angel perched atop buildings high over Berlin who can hear the thoughts—fears, hopes, dreams—of all the people living below. But when he falls in love with a beautiful trapeze artist, he is willing to give up his immortality and come back to earth to be with her. Made not long before the fall of the Berlin wall, this stunning tapestry of sounds and images, shot in black and white and color by the legendary Henri Alekan, is movie poetry. And it forever made the name Wim Wenders synonymous with film art.

Last edited by Maxflier; 01-11-10 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-11-10, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Criterion Film Club (Jan. 15) - Wings of Desire

ive heard nothing but good reviews about this. i hope my copy arrives soon.
Old 01-20-10, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

So anybody watch this?

I watched it for the third time. I really enjoy it, even though not much happens and it uses some conventions I'd usually find kind of pretentious (the internal monologues) I still find it to be pretty affecting. Basically, in addition to being very watchable, while watching it and afterwards, it made me think about being in Germany in the early 80s, and where I was when I first saw it, where I am now, and what's next.
Old 01-20-10, 12:23 PM

FYI... for netflix subscribers this is available to watch instantly.
Old 01-23-10, 03:43 AM
Cool New Member

Loving my netflix ps3 streaming right now - so much Criterion to choose from.
Old 03-17-10, 08:55 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginwen
So anybody watch this?

I watched it for the third time. I really enjoy it, even though not much happens and it uses some conventions I'd usually find kind of pretentious (the internal monologues) I still find it to be pretty affecting. Basically, in addition to being very watchable, while watching it and afterwards, it made me think about being in Germany in the early 80s, and where I was when I first saw it, where I am now, and what's next.
Brilliant film.

Somehow avoided all the hype for this over the years. Well, not somehow, as I'm ashamed to admit that until the last few years I've always been a mainstream modern American film viewer. I have been accumulating and watching older and foreign films for a few years now, but have a backlog of hundreds/thousands of films to watch.

This is such a beautiful film, both the words and the pictures. It's poetry, the best kind of poetry.

I'm very empathetic by nature (yet, strangely, somewhat of a hermit), so the film was a roller coaster of emotions for me, as I found myself identifying with and feeling for both the humans and the angels.

Some of the Peter Falk didn't quite blow me away for some reason, not sure why. Maybe because I'm such a big Columbo fan, and the film was so close to perfect, I expected too much with it bringing in such a personal favorite.

I will break my usual rule of sticking to my unwatched library, and watch this again soon. This is a film that really made me think; about life, about death, about films.