Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost Fans, I Need Your Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-10, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost Fans, I Need Your Help

Next weekend, I have a friend visiting from out of town and we are going to do a big Lost Marathon. I have all 5 seasons on blu-ray so it should look amazing.

She has only seen the first season of Lost, and obviously there is no way to cramp 4 seasons into one day of viewing. I need to hit the highlights of each season, pick 2-3 eps per season which are most import to following the main storyline. I want to get her ready for season 6 debut.

But almost every eps is important in the Lost universe so I don't know what to show her. I'm thinking about skipping season 2 completely. The storyline of Eko and Anna isn't essential to following season 6. But I do need to show her the Dharma Iniative. Hmmm maybe eps 1 from season 2?

Any suggestions on which eps to pick?
Old 01-11-10, 11:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Lost Fans, I Need Your Help

It can't be done, IMHO.
Old 01-11-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I've been re-watching season 2 and almost done with it. First time in a few years. IMO, it doesn't deserve the bad rap it gets. They basically introduce an entire second cast which is unheard of.

First you get Desmond in the premier which is huge, unfortunately he doesn't return until the finale. Then you get Ben halfway through the season. Then there is some Tom, Goodwin and Ethan action on the side of the Others. Of course you get the tallies which is good, IMO. Eko was a strong character. Bernard is great (non-essential but his and Rose's story is one of the better ones). Libby didn't quite get a chance to shine but she had potential. And then you have the ever unpopular Ana Lucia. Watching it again pretty far removed from when it aired, she isn't nearly has obnoxious or annoying as memory had me believe. In fact I was grateful that she offed spoiled and annoying Shannon. Pretty different reaction from when it aired when it was simply "she killed one of our Losties" the bitch.

Another trick memory played on me is that Season 2 was always known as the "Waaaaaaaalt!" season where Michael's sole purpose was to annoy the viewer. Watching it again, I think he only did that in one episode. I want to say one of the first three episodes. Funny how that works. One last thing was how powerful Michael killing Ana and Libby was. Despite how his character turns out I think I hated him even more on this time through than the first.

In the end, don't skip any of them because you are just doing your friend a disservice. Grab season 2 and just watch a marathon of that.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 01-11-10 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-11-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
Next weekend, I have a friend visiting from out of town and we are going to do a big Lost Marathon. I have all 5 seasons on blu-ray so it should look amazing.

She has only seen the first season of Lost, and obviously there is no way to cramp 4 seasons into one day of viewing. I need to hit the highlights of each season, pick 2-3 eps per season which are most import to following the main storyline. I want to get her ready for season 6 debut.

But almost every eps is important in the Lost universe so I don't know what to show her. I'm thinking about skipping season 2 completely. The storyline of Eko and Anna isn't essential to following season 6. But I do need to show her the Dharma Iniative. Hmmm maybe eps 1 from season 2?

Any suggestions on which eps to pick?

Are you serious?
Old 01-11-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

The X Files had "conspiracy" episodes and "stand-alone" ones. Lost has almost no "stand alones" -- maybe the Nikki & Paulo episode. That's the joy and potential frustration of the show : they're ALL important.
Old 01-11-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
It can't be done, IMHO.
As someone who is re-watching previous seasons in preparation for Season Six (about to wrap up Season Three), I'd have to agree.
Old 01-11-10, 11:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

By the way, you have somebody visiting from out of town and the best thing you can think of to do is watch television?
Old 01-11-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
By the way, you have somebody visiting from out of town and the best thing you can think of to do is watch television?
I knew someone would make an asshole remark like this.
Old 01-11-10, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

When I go visit out-of-town friends, unless they live somewhere I've never been, I actually prefer to stay in and just hang out. I'm there to see my friends not the city. I'm a bit of a homebody anyway and can't stand going to bars. So, it's fairly typical to have a weekend at their house, ordering take-out and such.

As for the topic at hand, good luck with that. I just can't see how you would be able to decide on which ones to show your friend, unless you just went with the clip show recap episodes.
Old 01-11-10, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I knew someone would make an asshole remark like this.
But he didn't say anything about an asshole.

Unless you had something else in mind for your friend.
Old 01-11-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Download the recap episodes from your favorite torrent site. Otherwise just watch every episode. It's the only way to appreciate this show.
Old 01-11-10, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Can't be done.
If she's trying to catch up for the start of S06, she'd be better off reading detailed episode summaries available at Lost fansites. Hell, I do that just to fill in the gaps of what happened.

But there is no way to properly or accurately or satisfactorily cherrypick 2 or 3 eps from each season and give anything close to an understanding of what the hell is going on.
Old 01-11-10, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

While I think this would considerably cheapen the experience as a whole, you could show them the YouTube recap for seasons 1-4 and then show them all of season five on blu-ray.

Old 01-11-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I've been re-watching season 2 and almost done with it. First time in a few years. IMO, it doesn't deserve the bad rap it gets.
I've never bought that either. For me, the lowpoint of the show were season 3's Jack/Kate/Sawyer Prisoners Of The Others arc.
Old 01-11-10, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't do it. Don't rob your friend of so much story and exposition. Just watch whatever you can from season 2. I find that most people will searc out the rest of the show on their own.
Old 01-11-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watch the first episode of each season. Tell them that's pretty much all that happens, with a couple of characters dying along the way. Jump right into season 6. Should be fine. If she has any questions, just say "Uh, the smoke monster did it," (no matter what kind of questions she asks).
Old 01-11-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Go to iTunes, then the "Free on iTunes" section. You can download for free the pilot and/or the recaps of each season.

So... the Season 2 recap, the Season 3 recap, and the Season 4 recap, forty minutes each I think.

What I don't know is whether the Season 4 recap covers only season 4, or whether it's 1 through 4, so maybe just the one episode will do it?
Old 01-11-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Meglos
I've never bought that either. For me, the lowpoint of the show were season 3's Jack/Kate/Sawyer Prisoners Of The Others arc.
I agree.

I have been watching from the beginning to get ready for season 6 and i am halfway through season 4.

The only lowpoint for me was the beginning of season 3. But, the 2nd half of season 3 is amazing, it essential makes up for the weak start, IMO.
Old 01-11-10, 04:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

forget about LOST, just have sex.
Old 01-11-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I've been re-watching season 2 and almost done with it. First time in a few years. IMO, it doesn't deserve the bad rap it gets. They basically introduce an entire second cast which is unheard of.

First you get Desmond in the premier which is huge, unfortunately he doesn't return until the finale. Then you get Ben halfway through the season. Then there is some Tom, Goodwin and Ethan action on the side of the Others. Of course you get the tallies which is good, IMO. Eko was a strong character. Bernard is great (non-essential but his and Rose's story is one of the better ones). Libby didn't quite get a chance to shine but she had potential. And then you have the ever unpopular Ana Lucia. Watching it again pretty far removed from when it aired, she isn't nearly has obnoxious or annoying as memory had me believe. In fact I was grateful that she offed spoiled and annoying Shannon. Pretty different reaction from when it aired when it was simply "she killed one of our Losties" the bitch.

Another trick memory played on me is that Season 2 was always known as the "Waaaaaaaalt!" season where Michael's sole purpose was to annoy the viewer. Watching it again, I think he only did that in one episode. I want to say one of the first three episodes. Funny how that works. One last thing was how powerful Michael killing Ana and Libby was. Despite how his character turns out I think I hated him even more on this time through than the first.

In the end, don't skip any of them because you are just doing your friend a disservice. Grab season 2 and just watch a marathon of that.
A second cast which is eventually killed off for stupid reasons, leaving the Tallies story pretty much in the dark. S2 also has Fire + Water, which is one of the worst episodes in the series. Pretty much killed Charlie's character. I also can't stand what they did with Michael. The weakest finale also IMO.
Old 01-11-10, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
The X Files had "conspiracy" episodes and "stand-alone" ones. Lost has almost no "stand alones" -- maybe the Nikki & Paulo episode. That's the joy and potential frustration of the show : they're ALL important.
'Expose' is actually one of the fan favorite episodes, despite having the two hated characters.
Old 01-11-10, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

I would say the only episodes that can be safely skipped are the one with the diamond smugglers and the one where Hurley sees his invisible friend from the mental hospital.

I guess you could just watch it and skip over the flashbacks. A lot of that stuff (especialy Charlie's stuff) is pointless.
Old 01-11-10, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
I would say the only episodes that can be safely skipped are the one with the diamond smugglers and the one where Hurley sees his invisible friend from the mental hospital.
Huh? Isn't that the episode with the totally, "WTF?!" ending where you see
Spoiler:
Libby in the mental hospital as well
? Maybe they'll never revisit that, but for now I'd say that's not worth skipping.
Old 01-11-10, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Laugh out loud at everyone making it sound like every episode of Lost is essential. Most of the first third of Season 3, for example, can be thrown away and it wouldn't matter.

Oh pee, as some have mentioned, find those recap episodes. There seem to be a couple each season. That should be enough to get the gist of the show. If she still likes the show after that she can go back and watch the complete seasons.
Old 01-11-10, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
Laugh out loud at everyone making it sound like every episode of Lost is essential. Most of the first third of Season 3, for example, can be thrown away and it wouldn't matter.
The problem is, there are several episodes where nothing happens for the first 45 minutes, but the last 3 have a major twist. Or episodes that seem like throwaways at the time (Hurley fixing the old Dharma van) contain elements that show up again later. You could easily cut out at least half of the first three seasons of Lost and still have the story intact, but that half is scattered throughout the entire show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.