Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS3 controller issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-10, 08:10 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
PS3 controller issues

Hi all,

Bought my son a PS3 for Christmas (and yes for me, too). Being that he is 8, we have been playing Lego Star Wars together quite a bit.

We are experiencing an issue I'd like to bounce off you guys before I conclude the unit is defective/in need of repair.

When we play together, whoever has the sixaxis controller designated as "#2", that player has trouble controlling vehicles and flying ships. For example, the joystick will not allow you to turn your ship left and right, though you can fire guns, etc. If you are using the controller to move a character by himself (i.e. running around) there does not seem to be an issue.

At first, I thought it might be the controller itself, but I tried assigning each individual controller as "#1" and there are no problems exhibited as detailed above.

I wonder if this may be a firmware glitch, as we have downloaded and installed the latest update, but I cannot say for sure if this issue was present before with the previous firmware.

Any help is appreciated, and I apologize in advance for what may be a "newbie" question. Any links to other sites that may provide answers are sincerely appreciated as well.

Thos.
Old 01-09-10, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: PS3 controller issues

Making sure I understand...

1. You've used both controllers as controller 2 and both do this?
2. You've used both controllers as controller 1 and both are fine?
3. It's ONLY during Lego Star Wars and ONLY during vehicle sections?

If all of the above are true, I'm deeply confused.
Old 01-09-10, 10:01 AM

Yes, yes, and yes...though the only other games we have are single player.

Wish there was a way to demonstrate....

Thos.
Old 01-09-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very bizarre. The only thing I can think to suggest is trying out another 2-player game to see if the problem persists. Though it only happens when trying to control vehicles? If all other parts of the game are fine, I'm inclined to say it's the game itself (it's been a while since I've played any of the Lego Star Wars games, but I remember them being kinda glitchy at times). Is player 2 actually allowed to control vehicles in those games?
Old 01-09-10, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember some oddities in the game design for vehicle sections in that game, but it's been a while.

When I played two-player, the second player would usually just drop out for the vehicle sections, which was fine, because they sucked anyway.
Old 01-09-10, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I tried to play that game with my brother online and it wouldn't allow us to unless both of us had our
PS3s directly connected to the modems. It would not connect for any reason if either of us were connected through a router. Yes, that Star Wars game is screwy.
Old 01-10-10, 08:00 AM

An example is the the land speeder race/battle through the forest of Endor. It is impossible to maneuver the speeder of player #2 (you can't even get him to fly in the right direction), but you can fire weapons. Like Chess said, I usually just drop out (usually at the exasperated complaints of my 8 year old).

Thanks for the input. I'll borrow a 2 player game (non-Lego) from a friend and see if I can duplicate the issue.

Thos.