Other Archive Archive of older Other Forum Posts

DVDTalk (Reverse) Sheep 2009 — The Year in Revue

Old 12-26-09, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
DVDTalk (Reverse) Sheep 2009 — The Year in Revue

Intro for first time players
Spoiler:

(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.

The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:

Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"

Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.

The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exaxt opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state of the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:

Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"

The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong.

That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

Critical praise for the game
Spoiler:

"These things are the most fun way to waste time at work since GemCraft." - maxfisher

"This is the most stirring display of gallantry and sportsmanship since Mountbatten gave India back to the Punjabs." - wishbone

"These have been really fun." - Tracer Bullet

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank The Bus for quite possibly the funniest commentary of any of the sheep games." - orangecrush18

General Rules
Spoiler:

• The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
  • Example Sheep question: "Name a professional golfer." A good answer might be Tiger Woods and a bad answer might be Chichi Rodriguez.
  • Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a play by Shakespeare." Romeo & Juliet might be a bad answer, but Two Gentlemen of Verona might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
  • Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
  • There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question. Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer. This penalty is multiplied by the Lightning Round Multiplier.
  • Certain rounds are considered Lightning Rounds (designated by a multiplier, such as ×2). In these rounds, scores are adjusted by the number on the multiplier. A wrong answer still gets a +4 penalty in a ×2 round and a +6 penalty in a ×3 round, and so on. In a sheep round, a wrong answer scores normally.
  • You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, etc. Use only what's in your head, with the exception of questions followed by a √ Check. (Not always in every game). (See more in the Sets section below).
  • Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 10 points right off the bat.
  • Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
  • Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.

Game-Specific Rules
Spoiler:

• Unless specifically mentioned in the question, all answers are about this year (2009). Imagine that the phrase "of this year" or "in 2009" is included in each question, and keep that in mind for your answers.
  • Question spreadsheets for your convenience: Excel | Google Docs
  • Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
    1 Unique is awarded -25
    2 Uniques are awarded -15 each
    3 Uniques are awarded -10 each
    4 Uniques are awarded -5 each
    5+ Uniques are awarded -1 each
  • Slam Ducks {sd} Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Ducks ({sd}s) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use them in:
    • In Sheep questions, the {sd} adds 1 to the Multiplier. There is no limit to how many {sd}s you use.
    • In Reverse Sheep questions, you can use a single {sd} to add +1 to everyone else's Multiplier (who has the same answer as you). If your answer is unique, it will add +2 to the Multiplier for your Unique Bonus. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing. There is no benefit to using more than one {sd} for each R: question.
    • NEW! You may now use a Slam Duck to cover for any gaps in your knowledge. Answering a question simply with an {sd} (and nothing else) means you automagically get the second best score for that question, not counting any Multipliers, Unique Bonuses, etc.

• Sets The game will be broken up into different sets. This game, there's seven sets, with various questions in each. They affect the game in two ways:
    • You may choose one set and do as much research as you wish on those questions. This means you can use Google, Wikipedia, Pharoh's sons, JasonF's wife, etc. to figure out your answer. Rockmjd23, I guess for you that means you can go above and beyond and call Bob Costas himself and ask him to review your questions. I don't know.
    • NEW! Up to the top three players of each set get to affect the game, depending on what they choose to play as their Role. Declare this at the time you submit your answers.
      • Libertarians get a -7 point bonus.
      • Republicans give everyone ranking below them a +1 penalty. Half of that total amount (rounded up) becomes their bonus. If JasonF has 10 people below him, he would give them each +1 and then get a -5.
      • Democrats give everyone ranking above them a +2 penalty. Half of that total amount (rounded up) becomes their bonus. If orangecrush has 40 people ahead of him, they each get +2 and he gets -20.
      • Assassins give the top three players +15, +10, and +5. If they are currently in the top 3 overall, they avoid that penalty and get -15 as well.
      • You have to choose the same Role for the entire game. The Role bonuses are all calculated simultaneously at the end of each Set.

The Questions

The Year in Movies
  1. S: Name an actor who became a household name, at least on this site.
  2. S: ×2 Name an overhyped movie that failed to deliver to general audiences.
  3. S: Name a movie that is a lock-in for Best Picture nomination for next year's Oscars.
  4. R: Name a new theatrically released film that grossed at least $100MM domestically.

The Year in Music
  5. S: Name a musician who made headlines for something other than their music.
  6. S: Name this year's most surprising new artist.
  7. S: Name someone who appeared, live or via satellite, at Michael Jackson's funeral. (They don't have to be a musician). √ Check

The Year in Television
  8. R: Name a series that was cancelled, even if it aired previous to this year.
  9. R: ×2 Name the host of a national late night talk show that airs at least three distinct episodes a week.
  10. S: Name the best new show on television.
  11. S: Name a broadcast or cable show that has now hit its stride and is widely lauded.

The Year in Gaming
  12. R: Name a sequel that was released on disc in the US and sold at least a million copies worldwide.
  13. S: Consider the three main console makers. Name the one that most improved their library and market outlook.
  14. S: Name a game originally announced for release this year that was delayed into 2010.

The Year in Sports
  15. S: ×2 Name the athlete that grabbed the most headlines for on-field performance (good or bad).
  16. S: Name the month in 2010 that Tiger Woods will return to playing professional golf. If it's not a month in 2010, name the year.
  17. S: Name the pro sports team with the most embarassing decline in performance.
  18. R: Name a professional or Division I team in football, basketball, or hockey that lost or fired its head coach.

The Year in Politics
  19. S: Aside from President Obama, name a politician that made headlines.
  20. S: ×2 Name a political/news buzzword that did not exist widely previous to this year and is now somewhat common. √ Check
  21. R: Name a head of state who met with President Obama face-to-face this year.
  22. R: Name a country that had elections for its head of state this year.
  23. S: Name a corporation that made headlines this year, for positive or negative news.

The Year in Other
  24. R: Name someone who passed away and had a thread dedicated to their death (anywhere on the site, Christmas or prior).
  25. S: Name this site's best new meme. √ Check
  26. S: ×2 Name Other's best thread of the year. √ Check

Reminders: √ Check means you can Google/Wikipedia/search/etc. Question spreadsheets for your convenience: Excel | Google Docs

I don't know what kind of response I will get. This game will begin BEFORE the end of the year. I will need at least 20 players.

Good luck!
Old 12-26-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 598 Likes on 483 Posts
Re: Politics (Reverse) Sheep 2009 — The Year in Revue

Shouldn't this be in Otter?
Old 12-26-09, 03:44 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Consider adding "role" to the spreadsheet so people don't forget to include it.

Also:

Unwritten Rule: No Cock-Blocking

What is a "cock-block"? That's when you see a "clever" way to answer a question, and instead of simply answering in that clever way you ask first if it's okay. Thus blowing it for anybody else who thought of that clever answer.
Old 12-26-09, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Groucho, the spreadsheets are updated. Great suggestion. You start the game at -1.

Any cock-blocks previous to the locking/starting of the game will cost players a +5.
Old 12-26-09, 04:02 PM

Well, that's a refreshing change. Usually I start the game with some sort of penalty for being a dick.
Old 12-26-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 227 Posts

^ The game hasn't started yet...
Old 12-28-09, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Mr. Crack dealer!
Old 12-28-09, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Question: Do the Salahis count as heads of state?
Old 12-28-09, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by orangecrush
Question: Do the Salahis count as heads of state?
Cock-blocked again!
Old 12-28-09, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Cock-blocked again!
I knew you would say that.
Old 12-28-09, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 598 Likes on 483 Posts

I would need to cheat for at least 3 of those sets.
Old 12-28-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I turned in some answers. i hope i got the rules right
Old 12-28-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm working on my answers! I'll have them in to you in a couple of hours! Don't start without me!
Old 12-28-09, 11:47 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm in. Bring it on!
Old 12-28-09, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay these questions are hard
Old 12-28-09, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Venusian
I turned in some answers. i hope i got the rules right
Don't forget to cock-block Groucho prior to the lock of the game.
Old 12-28-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

PM sent.
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Okay these questions are hard
I agree. I have no idea about the last 2 questions or what new bands even exist. I wanted to stack my slam dunks but couldn't think of an obvious question to do it on. Actually, I could think of two questions, but I think others may give the wrong answer (al la apple making the best laptops).
Old 12-28-09, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

What are the JasonF Google penalties? Maybe I should institute them.

Sorry for hard questions.
Old 12-28-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus

IMO the questions are very good because there aren't many obvious answers. I also think that using the {sd} for a question you just don't know is a good solution.
Old 12-28-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah. I think the questions are pretty good, too. There was one that I used my {sd} on because I really had no idea.

Looking forward to the game. Thanks Bus for putting this together.
Old 12-28-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus

Originally Posted by JasonF
The assumption is that you will not use Google, Wikipedia, etc. You may choose to do so. However, if you so choose, you must indicate each answer for which you have used an outside resource by placing an asterisk (*) before the answer. You will be penalized one point for your first asterisked answer, two points for your second asterisked answer, four points for your third asterisked answer, and so on.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/politics-wo...-4th-term.html

I had trouble with a few questions but I gave it my best guess. Like o18 said the {sd} is a nice option to use for these kind of answers.
Old 12-28-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Answers sent.
Old 12-28-09, 02:59 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I apparently spend way too much time on the internet, since I didn't find the questions at all difficult. Of course, we'll have to see if I actually matched anybody in any of my sheep answers.
Old 12-29-09, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

We've got 13 players so far. I'd like to have 20 or so. Please help me spread the word!
Old 12-29-09, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Want me to move this to Other?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.