Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Scream Blu Ray: AMAZING TRANSFER

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-10, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The transfer for Scream on blu ray is fantastic. You can get it at amazon; its the australian release but it plays on our U.S. players. Not the unrated version, sadly, but thats only a second or two different of footage and not worth passing this up for. I got it for less than $25 from one of the marketplace sellers.

It could be a couple years till we get a U.S. release when Scream 4 comes out and this transfer is as good as it gets for this title in my opinion. DTS-HD 5.1 is a nice track too. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Old 01-09-10, 01:13 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: Scream Blu Ray: AMAZING TRANSFER

Can I ask which seller you got it from? The cheapest at the moment is westendentertainment, but some of their feedback is questionable.
Old 01-09-10, 01:56 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

I ordered from "blowitoutahere" because I wanted a US seller (westendentertainment is located in Australia). It arrived quickly and in excellent (NEW) condition, so I'd recommend them.

I'm happy with the blu-ray, but I wouldn't call it an amazing transfer. I don't think the print has been remastered in years. There was some noticeable dirt and damage on a few scenes, and I'm not one that usually notices that stuff. The blu-ray video is better than any DVD version currently out there, but I hope the eventual US release is better.

The disc is barebones. They could have at least ported over the commentary track. And it's the theatrical cut. I've seen the missing 10 seconds of footage, and it's not worth making a big deal over. But I'm glad to have a relatively good-looking anamorphic version.
Old 01-09-10, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
Can I ask which seller you got it from? The cheapest at the moment is westendentertainment, but some of their feedback is questionable.
DiabolikDVD is a U.S company and is carrying the disc:

http://diabolikdvd.com/category/Horr...Region%29.html
Old 01-09-10, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I ordered from "blowitoutahere" because I wanted a US seller (westendentertainment is located in Australia). It arrived quickly and in excellent (NEW) condition, so I'd recommend them.

I'm happy with the blu-ray, but I wouldn't call it an amazing transfer. I don't think the print has been remastered in years. There was some noticeable dirt and damage on a few scenes, and I'm not one that usually notices that stuff. The blu-ray video is better than any DVD version currently out there, but I hope the eventual US release is better.

The disc is barebones. They could have at least ported over the commentary track. And it's the theatrical cut. I've seen the missing 10 seconds of footage, and it's not worth making a big deal over. But I'm glad to have a relatively good-looking anamorphic version.
By SCREAM's standards, I thought it looked pretty fantastic- the dvd looked awful and I felt like 99.99% of the film looked like a new film on blu ray, which to me was just awesome. Ive seen the uncut footage too, its basically a few gorier seconds of Casey's boyfriend's guts spilling out. Not that important. On blu-ray.com a couple of members have reviewed it also- gave it a 4 out of 5 in terms of review on the video- so I think they agree (based on SCREAM's standards anyway). I used the outta here seller too and got very fast shipping from them- ie it delivered in less than a week. Obviously the lack of any extras is disappointing, but I'm okay rebuying the US release eventually if its done better at that point but it could be a couple years till Scream 4 and the domestic blu ray release of scream..

Last edited by indiansbsa; 01-09-10 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-09-10, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by indiansbsa
By SCREAM's standards, I thought it looked pretty fantastic- the dvd looked awful and I felt like 99.99% of the film looked like a new film on blu ray, which to me was just awesome.
Scream was never released with a anamorphic transfer on DVD, so the Blu-ray will be worth the upgrade, considering that fact itself, including its High Definition A/V presentation. I'll wait for the U.S release of this title because, it's going to be quite expensive to have it imported from another country with additional surcharges to the actual item as well.

Last edited by slimdude; 01-09-10 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-09-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I want this, but am wondering what the resale value will look like if a U.S. trilogy set comes out eventually. This is one of my favorite movies and the DVD is crap (which is why I never purchased it). I mean, come on... non-anamorphic for one of the greatest horror films of all time?

I may have to get this when I get some more "funds".
Old 01-09-10, 07:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slimdude
Scream was never released with a anamorphic transfer on DVD, so the Blu-ray will be worth the upgrade, considering that fact itself, including its High Definition A/V presentation. I'll wait for the U.S release of this title because, it's going to be quite expensive to have it imported from another country with additional surcharges to the actual item as well.
Never in anamorphic in the USA.

The German DVD is very good, anamorphic with some good extras.
Old 01-09-10, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

its actually readily availble in the us, you can order it from bestbuy.com or amazon.com/ I preorderd it from bestbuy.com back in November when they had those really good 30 % off all bluray sales. i picked it up from them for 20.99 plus 2.99 for shipping. amazon at one point had it for 22.49 though its now on there for 33.99 and bestbuy.com(not instore) its currently 34.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Scream+-...7342&st=scream

Originally Posted by slimdude
Old 01-09-10, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
Never in anamorphic in the USA.

The German DVD is very good, anamorphic with some good extras.
I don't have a Region Free DVD Player, so generally I don't keep up with international DVD releases.
Old 01-10-10, 08:57 AM

I ordered the Scream Trilogy (from Austria) on Blu-ray recently. Just waiting for it to arrive. Can't wait to watch these flicks again. It's been a while.

Rick
Old 01-10-10, 11:12 AM

I wasn't terribly impressed with this BD release of SCREAM. PQ was ok, but there was quite a bit of dirt present. I also felt that the DTS-MA track was very lacking. It was all over the place. Music surrounds were pretty good, but other times the sound was very low, or "hollow" (such as the part when the porch chair crashes through the glass doors). Maybe it was just my receiver (which doesn't decode DTS-MA anyhow), but I'm doubting it.
Old 01-10-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

How much is the set? Are they all region free? I want the details...
Old 01-10-10, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by GenPion
How much is the set? Are they all region free? I want the details...
Yes.. they are region free. I don't have them yet, but they have shipped. Will post the specs on them once I've had a chance to review. I've read some reviews that state SCREAM 1 in the Austrian release is theatrical, while others have claimed its the directors cut.

Importing the set isn't cheap. I think it cost me around 80 bucks for the set of 3 movies. More than I would normally spend on blu's, but I really wanted to check this set out.
Old 01-10-10, 03:04 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Here's a review of the Kinowelt box set.

http://www.cinefacts.de/blu-ray-revi...-trilogie.html

If you don't speak German you'll need the Babelfish translation:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate

It says that Scream 2 is cropped from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1.
Old 01-10-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Wow... cropped. That sucks. I am definitely not interested in the set if that's the case. Scream being anamorphic and in the correct ratio, with the same cut as the U.S. theatrical will make it worthwhile though.
Old 01-11-10, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Am I holding out too much hope for Disney/Miramax/Dimension to release the unrated cut on Blu?
Old 01-11-10, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Am I holding out too much hope for Disney/Miramax/Dimension to release the unrated cut on Blu?
Yep.
Old 01-11-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
]It says that Scream 2 is cropped from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1.
Well there goes my interest
Old 01-11-10, 02:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by indiansbsa
Yep.
me too since it'd be nice to have the commentary track too.
Old 01-22-10, 12:07 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

I got my copy of Scream today and just finished watching it. I know PAL speed-up is supposedly no longer an issue with Blu-ray, but didn't anybody notice that the audio is off on this release? The pitch is too high. Everyone sounds a little like Mickey Mouse. It's the same problem as the UK release of The Fog. When I first got that one someone suggested it might be an up-scaled PAL master, but the U.S. DVD stays in perfect sync with the Blu-ray. It sounds like PAL speed-up even though it isn't. Does anybody have any insight as to what causes this to happen?
Old 01-22-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
I got my copy of Scream today and just finished watching it. I know PAL speed-up is supposedly no longer an issue with Blu-ray, but didn't anybody notice that the audio is off on this release? The pitch is too high. Everyone sounds a little like Mickey Mouse. It's the same problem as the UK release of The Fog. When I first got that one someone suggested it might be an up-scaled PAL master, but the U.S. DVD stays in perfect sync with the Blu-ray. It sounds like PAL speed-up even though it isn't. Does anybody have any insight as to what causes this to happen?
Well that makes me wanted it even LESS
Old 01-22-10, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope that PAL speed-up thing isn't true considering I have a copy on the way. Does anybody else have the same problem?
Old 01-22-10, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I got a couple Blu-ray's from France last year that had the correct length but still sounded pitched up. It's almost as if it was done deliberately.
Old 01-22-10, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, forget it then... I'll just wait for a U.S. release. Total bummer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.