Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Pioneer DV555 Play CD-Rs?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Pioneer DV555 Play CD-Rs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-00, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know whether the Pioneer DV555 will play CD-Rs? Please help, thanks.
Old 07-25-00, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
My 414 plays em fine. I have heard, before, that all Pioneers play CD-Rs and VCDs just fine.

Please correct me if I am wrong. No one likes looking like an ass. hehe
Old 07-25-00, 02:41 AM

I also believe that all Pioneer DVD players will play CD-Rs. If not, I am told that ALL DVD players will play CD-RWs!!
Old 07-25-00, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ECydeDave:
I also believe that all Pioneer DVD players will play CD-Rs. If not, I am told that ALL DVD players will play CD-RWs!!<HR>

Sorry to burst your bubble, but CD-RWs present the same sort of challenges to DVD players that CD-Rs. The Pioneer line of players are the only reliable readers of CD-Rs/RWs on the market (they have dual laser pickups), period. Only a handful of other players have any reported success playing recorded media.

These include:
Apex 600
1st generation Sony players (1997)

------------------
A free Tibet - Keep Hope alive...
Old 07-25-00, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
HAH! See? I was right! I am ALWAYS right.
Old 07-25-00, 09:32 PM

Sorry if I was mistaken...but I was told by a friend more into DVD and HT than many of us that just about every DVD player will play CD-RWs because they are coded differently than plain CD-Rs. All I know is that my Panasonic can't play CD-Rs but it plays CD-RWs fine.
Old 07-26-00, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ECydeDave:
Sorry if I was mistaken...but I was told by a friend more into DVD and HT than many of us that just about every DVD player will play CD-RWs because they are coded differently than plain CD-Rs. All I know is that my Panasonic can't play CD-Rs but it plays CD-RWs fine.<HR>

It has nothing to do with the "coding" of the media. The root of the problem is the color of the CD media. Traditional CDR/RW media is light to deep blue or teal in tone. The tone for what ever reason becomes a reflective surface to the narrow bandwidth red DVD laser that reads the disc. The beam is reflected back and no information is read. I have heard reports of ultra-cheep "silver" CD-Rs from the CompUSAs of the world working with some reliability, but have not attempted it myself. Rule of thumb is if the CD media is blue or green it wont work 99% of the time in 99% of the DVD players in the world.

Another trick that I have heard mentioned by some old Laserdisc fans is coloring the surface of the disc with a black, dry-erase marker, this slight change in tone of the surface cause the beam to be absorbed and usually will result in reasonable reliability.

------------------
A free Tibet - Keep Hope alive...

[This message has been edited by DaveMorales (edited July 25, 2000).]