Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

Fun Cash is Getting a Makeover (Redeem for BLU!)

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-10, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a little advertisement when checking my balance (which is messed up, of course) this morning.

FunCash™ is getting a makeover - Get Ready for Bonus Points!

There are some exciting improvements coming to our FunCash™ program effective early February 2010. Instead of earning FunCash™ on every purchase, you'll earn Bonus Points.

Here are some exciting highlights:

* DVDs you purchase will earn 2 Bonus Points each, unless otherwise noted.
* For the first time, you can now redeem Bonus Points to purchase Blu-Ray™ titles!
* You will also now be able to redeem Bonus Points to purchase Sets.
* Redeeming your points is easy! 1 point = $1 towards your purchase.
Old 01-06-10, 01:52 PM

Re: Fun Cash is Getting a Makeover (Redeem for BLU!)

I saw that too. But I'm wondering if that last point means it goes back to the way it used to be and you don't have to have the exact amount of funcash for the item you want.
Old 01-06-10, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^That'd be great! Now if they'd just stop "expiring" it at the end of the year...
Old 01-07-10, 01:15 AM

I'd be happy if they'd just learn to process it correctly.

I had $80 .. used it and in the process, earned $4 more for 2010. My account showed $4 for two or three days. Then, my account suddenly showed NEGATIVE $76.00 (hmm ... $80 - $4 = $76).

I emailed customer care several times ... finally got a response today saying they adjusted it and my current balance is $4. Logged in on the website to confirm ... it is now showing NEGATIVE $51! Needless to say, shot off another email.

I have problems redeeming every year. They need to get their system debugged (it has always been sluggish to update, etc.).

I would be happy to see the return of being able to apply partial amounts though instead of having to have enough to take an item for free.
Old 01-07-10, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^The "negative" amount is normal for FC purchases due to the way CH processes it. They "debit" the FC as soon as the order is placed and then a day or so later will debit it again when it gets fully processed. Once it ships they'll put back the original debit and your total should revert to what is actually there.

If memory serves correctly, they started doing this a couple of years ago after it was discovered that you could place 2 FC orders using the *same* FC amount (due to a glitch in the way it was being processed), let both shipments go out the door and then cancel the account with a negative FC balance.
Old 01-07-10, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

wonder if I will have a negative balance when this starts.... LOL....
Old 01-07-10, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^The "negative" amount is normal for FC purchases due to the way CH processes it. They "debit" the FC as soon as the order is placed and then a day or so later will debit it again when it gets fully processed. Once it ships they'll put back the original debit and your total should revert to what is actually there.

If memory serves correctly, they started doing this a couple of years ago after it was discovered that you could place 2 FC orders using the *same* FC amount (due to a glitch in the way it was being processed), let both shipments go out the door and then cancel the account with a negative FC balance.
Thanks for the info, Bob.

I don't know why it would say "negative $51" is my total though ... none of my orders have shipped yet (no email confirmations and the status still says PROCESSING). So, them saying it was adjusted to reflect $4 has me concerned (I'll see what their response is).

Also, on an off-topic note (sorry ...) ... I thought the policy was to bill your credit card after they ship your items?

I was billed days ago ... nothing shows as shipped yet (on either order) ... and for my FunCash order, they are playing games with the prices (order was for 6 DVDs, 4 Free and 2 at 9.98 each ... total was $30.66 with shipping and tax) ... they billed me $25.33 and now there is a $2.11 charge pending ... leaving an additional $4.22 still in limbo somewhere ... :-\

I just want my movies (and my FunCash corrected properly) ... LOL ... :-D
Old 01-08-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^Columbia House is not a retail store, DO NOT expect your account information to be updated in real time. It is possible that your items have shipped already (or are being prepared for shipping). It is quite common to get shipping notices for packages that have already been received.

The best thing to do is give it some time and see how things shake out. If, after a couple of weeks, something is not right with the order you can follow up on it. The worst thing to do is to inquire now, because the CSRs may well screw up the order trying to "fix" it.
Old 01-08-10, 02:53 PM

Lizard:

Well, I already wrote them back asking about the FunCash problem. So, it's too late for me to not say anything else. :-(

Thanks for the advice ... I'll just wait it out from here on out (pending any response). So far, they have no said they changed anything with my order or account (other than adjusting the FunCash to $4).
Old 01-08-10, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wkkunkle
... I thought the policy was to bill your credit card after they ship your items?
It's been my experience that they "ding" your card (aka place a hold) for the amount of the order as a "temporary" charge which is converted to a real charge as items ship. If an item is cancelled the temporary charge is reversed for that item.

As far as billed vs. additional, etc. it's the same thing. They'll bill you for what ships when/as it ships so it's possible to see several different charges show up on the site in your account summary.

Ans as Lizard indicated, with CH it's always best to wait and see how everything shakes out before you start contacting them. I'll typically wait at least 15-30 days. Every time I've jumped the gun I've gotten an order or billing screwed up with me coming out on the losing end.

If you have any more "general" questions/concerns, please post/ask here.

Welcome and good luck!
Old 01-16-10, 12:38 AM

* You will also now be able to redeem Bonus Points to purchase Sets.

Wonder if it will be limited to a certain amount like before (on sets) -- or if we can save up the points and get the set for shipping cost only. That would be nice.

-Zoe
Old 01-21-10, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if our current Funcash will convert to Bonus Points? I'm tempted to use them now just in case, though I'd rather use them on sets if I had the option.
Old 01-21-10, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by starman9000
Does anyone know if our current Funcash will convert to Bonus Points? I'm tempted to use them now just in case, though I'd rather use them on sets if I had the option.
According to an email I received last month, the FunCash you earn in January is to convert to Bonus Points in February, because Bonus Points were to start January 1, 2010; but, as is common with Columbia House's website ... they are running behind. LOL.

SUBJECT: FunCash(TM) Program Update‏
SENT: Mon 12/21/09 5:33 PM
TO: XXXXXXXXXXXX@XXXXXXXXX

Dear Member,

Recently you received a flyer in your Columbia House Club mailing announcing that FunCash(TM) is changing to Bonus Points effective January 1, 2010. Please be advised that this change will now take place in February 2010. You will still be able to earn and redeem FunCash in January. If you have a FunCash balance earned from purchases made in January, it will be transferred to Bonus Points in February.

Remember, with the Bonus Points program you will earn 2 points for each DVD purchase (unless otherwise noted). Redeeming points is easy, 1 point = $1 towards the regular Club price.

Happy Holidays,

Customer Service
Columbiahouse.com
Old 01-21-10, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks,

I guess I'll spend mine just in case (I was able to get my cash reinstated that they whiped from the end of the year, so don't want to push my luck).
Old 01-21-10, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by starman9000
Thanks,

I guess I'll spend mine just in case (I was able to get my cash reinstated that they whiped from the end of the year, so don't want to push my luck).
Yeah ... they did that to me, after making my balance negative ... last communication I had with them, I said "you told me twice now that you reset it to $4" ... they said "we fixed it ... your balance is now $80".

I have no clue ... but it shows $80 online as available now.
Old 01-21-10, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wonder if my negative funcash will become negative bonus points....lol... I use my FC at the end of the year.. and everytime.. once they zero it out.. for some reason I end up with a negative balance until I call them... ha
Old 01-21-10, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well... I called... and they were gracious enough to return my balance to $0...
Old 01-31-10, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Must be going through now, as the site appears to be down.
Old 02-01-10, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bonus Points is up and running and Fun Cash did carry over. I like that it just gives you the option directly in your cart without having to select anything else first.

It doesn't seem to be letting you use points 'towards' the purchase of a set though, it only works if you can completely fulfill it.
Old 02-01-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely works toward blu-ray. Just placed an order using funcash.

Labyrinth
Blu-ray
WIDE

$0.00

Leon: The Professional
Blu-ray
WIDE

$0.00

The Neverending Story
Blu-ray
WIDE

$0.00

Subtotal:
$0.00
Shipping and Handling:
$6.97
Tax:
$0.00
TOTAL:
$6.97
Old 02-01-10, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cgray how in the world did you have that much funcash already?
Old 02-01-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You mean you haven't celebrated "the new CH" by buying 100 DVD's??

I forgot my funcash expired at the end of the year. I wrote them and asked if they could reinstate my last year's fun cash which had expired. They agreed, and it became bonus points. Lucky, I think.
Old 02-06-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ugh, well they really screwed up this one{not surprising, is it?} I placed a order back in December so I could use my remaining FC before it expired{that order did not ship of course, since I had a balance on my account}. I check my order status about a month later and it says cancelled. I email them about it and they say they will put a new order through, except they charge me full price for it. Now they're claiming I never had the points in the first place.
Old 02-09-10, 10:52 PM

Just placed a FC order, er, sorry, BONUS POINTS for a Pre-Order Blu-Ray -- yay it works on Pre-Orders too!!

-Zoe
Old 05-20-10, 10:00 AM

Ok, I finally fufilled my CHTV account, I have 20 points in there, How do I use it? the last time I fufilled an account it was FUNCASH, I have tried to order DVDS and they won`t let me apply the points to my order at checkout, there is no option. any help? I wanted to close this account after using the 20 points and then recycle again with the tv club.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.