Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Who are the people in this old Oscar photo?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-10, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Someone on Facebook said the gentleman on the left is James Baskett, Uncle Remus from Song of the South. I disagree, as Mr. Baskett was a heavy-set, bald man who died of heart disease two years after the film.

Anyone know?

EDIT: Found another, better picture on another site, that claims it's Mr. Baskett being given the honorary Oscar by Ingrid Bergman. The caption of this pic says 1948, but all other information says he got the Oscar in 1946, the same year as the film. Is it James Baskett?

Last edited by The Infidel; 01-06-10 at 01:57 AM.
Old 01-06-10, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
Re: Who are the people in this old Oscar photo?

That is James Baskett receiving an Honorary Oscar on March 20, 1948. He died four months later.

Song of the South was released in 1946, but was honored at the 1948 Oscars, not the 1947 Oscars. Why? I don't know, but that irregularity is what is messing up the caption information.

Last edited by Count Dooku; 01-06-10 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-06-10, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
That is James Baskett receiving an Honorary Oscar on March 20, 1948. He died four months later.

Song of the South was released in 1946, but was honored at the 1948 Oscars, not the 1947 Oscars. Why? I don't know, but that irregularity is what is messing up the caption information.
Interesting. Thanks.

EDIT: I just read your quoted post again, and what I meant to say was that the caption of the photo says he was receiving it in 1948, and that's all. The "all other information" I was referring to was other places on the internet, not from the caption of the picture.

Last edited by The Infidel; 01-06-10 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-06-10, 11:37 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If Disney wanted to make a ballsy move I wish they'd release that film on DVD/Blu...but...considering how it could be viewed today instead of appreciation of it's filmmaking....I don't think so....
Old 01-06-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
If Disney wanted to make a ballsy move I wish they'd release that film on DVD/Blu...but...considering how it could be viewed today instead of appreciation of it's filmmaking....I don't think so....
Dude, don't even get me started. I've never been able to understand how this film could ever be viewed badly.

It's a great story with great characters and morals...a classic Disney feature that's being thrown by the wayside because a few black people out there apparently still have a problem with being reminded that there was a period in our history when they were treated poorly and looked down upon. I say get over it, and join every other race that's had some form of injustice done to them over time.

"Roots": no problem. "Song of the South": FORBIDDEN!!!!

I don't get it.
Old 01-06-10, 12:18 PM
Banned

I honestly wish Disney would be proud of everything it ever did. It's a mark in Cinema, that's what Disney is. Good (soooo many films here) and bad (Pirates sequels and etc) but...when you're a powerhouse in Cinema like they are. You can release your artistic merits and not lose your financial wealth. Disney can do whatever the fuck they can cuz they're Disney. If they released that film, I'm sure..a lot of the cinemaphiles would relish the fact that Disney is donig that and actually would probably look at them in a much brighter light as well. BUT Disney CAN do whatever they want so...yeah we won't see this.

also...from what I've heard (I still need to see it...maybe it was you Infidel that had a..form of seeing it) it's an amazing achievement in the time it came out and again ballsy cuz of the time it came out.
Old 01-06-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

SONG OF THE SOUTH is an important movie. And far more racially layered than its hidebound critics will admit. The main point of the movie, and one that critics with blinders on clearly miss, is that the boy's redemption comes from hearing Uncle Remus' stories. The knowledge and lessons from the folklore of the oppressed people are what prepare the boy for coping with crisis and maturity. The white southern mindset holds the boy back. That's been clear to me every time I've seen the movie.
Old 01-06-10, 12:27 PM
Banned

oh wait...Youtube has it. Looks bad , pq wise, but...I'm seeing it.
Old 01-06-10, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku

I heard he wasn't honored until the '48 Oscars because segregation ensured he wasn't able to properly attend the '47 Oscars. He also wasn't allowed to go to the movie's premiere for the same reason.
Old 01-06-10, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always heard about the premiere, but I don't think the two-year gap for the Oscar was because of segregation. Hattie McDaniel wasn't allowed to attend the premiere of Gone With the Wind, but she was there to get her trophy in 1940, eight years prior to Mr. Baskett's award.

From what I read, the reason for the two-year gap was simply based on a decision by the Academy to not present "special awards" in 1947 to all of James Baskett, Bobby Driscoll and Luana Patten for their work in the film, but in 1948 they decided to go ahead with the one to Mr. Baskett. The "special award" apparently also took James out of the running for Best Actor.

Last edited by The Infidel; 01-06-10 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-08-10, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Solid Snake, I've sent you a couple PM's. Are you getting them?