Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

CDs are old technology?!? I dont think so!!!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

CDs are old technology?!? I dont think so!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-00, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was watching this computer show for beginners on TV the other day, the whole show they discussed music and the computer, from MP3 to soundcards and speakers. They kept on referring to CDs as the Old Technology, well, I really dont think so, if you're an Audiophile, with good equipment, then i doubt mp3 is better than CDs...
Read on...

With MP3 and all those new Internet music formats, I was totally taken away by it. But just today, I got the Evita soundtrack. I first popped it into my Toshiba 2109, playing it through a NEC Prologic Proccessor and my Luxman Pre/Amp, my speakers (Paradigm mains, yammy center, JBL control1 rear, audiosource sub) just ENGULFED me in the sound, just surrounding me with the music. Playing from 6 of my 10 speakers (Other 4 are my Diatone for TV and JBLs for DENON CD player), it sounded great. Because the 2109 wasnt specifically a CD player, i compared it with my old DENON cd player with 20bit Dual DAC. I played the CD through my 2 lone JBLs (Studio Monitor series), and it sounded clearer, brighter (not TOO bright though), and more dynamic, but coming from only 2 speakers, it didnt create the same EFFECT to the 6 speaker sound from the Prologic Reciever.
I then tried using the HALL setting for the sound, it came from either of my mains (Either the paradigm Titans, or the JBLs), and the rears. I first tried it with the Titans, pretty good. Then the JBLs, it was good as well. Using only the 4 speakers (or 5 if I use Paradigms because my sub is passive and hooked up between my Paradigm mains from the amp), it also gave surround-sound, but lacking the center channel, it wasn't quite complete. I can compare this to a MP3 player, I don't think it can have this range of dynamics and sound, unless they come up with a MP3 deck, specifically to play mp3, and if they recorded it at 192kbps+ it might be close, but im not quite sure it will be better than CDs...

Future of music is MP3? Not for a while...

Theres my Beef...

------------------
Toshiba SD-2109, Luxman Amp. NEC Pro-Logic Processor... I want 5.1!!!
HELP! I'M TRAPPED IN A 14 YR. OLDS' BODY!!!!!!