Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Collapse

Dr Mabuse
01-04-10, 02:44 PM
Watched it this morning.

It's about the 'collapse' of oil and it's ramifications for humanity. I'm sure anyone who follows Ebert on Twitter already knows about it.

Anyone seen it? The guy is flaky, but he makes some points worth making in this. It's a really interesting film whatever your views; or if you don't think for yourself, whatever your conditioned ideology.

Anyway... discuss.

Bobby Shalom
01-05-10, 12:07 PM
Yeah, the guy is flaky and credible all at the same time.

The doc gave me a sinking feeling, and I kind of kept saying, "All this shit is conspiracy lunacy... I wonder when it's really going to happen."

Worthwhile, he still makes some interesting points.

wishbone
01-12-10, 11:46 AM
I'm sure anyone who follows Ebert on Twitter already knows about it.If those reserves are vast and easy to tap by drilling straight down through the desert, then ask yourself this question: Why are the Saudis spending billions of dollars to develop offshore drilling platforms?http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091209/REVIEWS/912099993

Technology could allow Iraq to gain ground on Saudi Arabia.
excerpt

The most surprising action is unfolding in Iraq, which has just cut deals with ExxonMobil, BP, and Shell as well as with Chinese and Russian companies. If all these ventures meet their targets, Iraq could produce as much as 12 million barrels a day, putting it in the super league with Saudi Arabia and Russia. Given the political and logistical obstacles Iraq faces, that seems unrealistic anytime soon. But 6 million barrels a day seems attainable within 10 to 15 years. That level would turn Iraq into OPEC's No. 2 producer after Saudi Arabia.http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34770285/ns/business-oil_and_energy/

There is more info in the article about technology allowing for more oil production, especially in new areas. This will not solve the problem of our need for oil but it certainly does not sound as dire as Mr. Ruppert's accounting.

Hokeyboy
06-24-10, 07:51 AM
Watched this last night. Reminds me of the old "Mad Dog Lamont" character from Not Necessarily The News. Sure he's crazy. But what if he's *right*?

Great documentary, moreso because it presents a crackpot who really challenges your perceptions. But then again, there was a guy I went to junior high/high school with. Lost touch for 20 years, he apparently turned into a paranoid schizophrenic and self-published a ton of books on government conspiracies, time travel, etc. BRILLIANT material. But off the deep end. I could see him in a movie like this.

crazyronin
06-24-10, 06:21 PM
Ah, Mike Ruppert, Kennedy conspiracy pusher and 9/11 twoofer, has decided to jump on the "peak oil is now" bandwagon.

jfoobar
06-26-10, 10:26 PM
Watched this last night. Reminds me of the old "Mad Dog Lamont" character from Not Necessarily The News. Sure he's crazy. But what if he's *right*?

I don't remember "Mad Dog Lamont." I do remember Lucy Webb as "Dioxin Dolly" though.

Highlander
08-23-10, 10:58 PM
This guy is just another doomsayer. He pulls numbers out of his ass about how many barrels of oil is left in a given location like he's some sort of geology expert. Then the next minute he admits that no one knows exactly how much oil there is. What an ass.

These guys are a dime a dozen. I know. I've listened to a bunch of them before and wasted money on them and their stupid advice. Only this guy somehow conned someone to film him.

jfoobar
08-24-10, 05:54 AM
Yeah, agree, Collapse was complete crap and I am amazed that so many people recommend it so strongly. Part of the problem is that if the subject of the film was able to flesh out truly compelling points, the filmmaker never really gives him the chance to. Just an all around mess. :down:

Dr Mabuse
02-17-11, 11:49 AM
More people should watch this.

A certain some bitch should stop bumping a certain thread too.