Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Caprica: ''movie'' vs ''pilot'' ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-10, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Caprica: ''movie'' vs ''pilot'' ?

I copied the appropriate posts from the Deals forum thread, as the discussion is OT there. I wasn't going to bother following up, but I just couldn't accept the assertions in the last post.

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by MickM
I've been waiting to buy this set for quite a while - I've never seen a single episode! Dex14 says the only thing missing is The Plan, but the following is my understanding of what the complete BSG comprises (in viewing order):

Caprica (separate movie)
Miniseries (first disc of the Season 1 DVD)
Season 1
Season 2
10 Webisodes: The Resistance
Season 3
Razor (2 hour special episode at beginning of Season 4)
Season 4.0
10 Webisodes: The Face of the Enemy
Season 4.5
The Plan
Originally Posted by leitmotif
Caprica isn't a movie, it's the two hour pilot to the BSG spin-off series (which begins on January 22) that takes place 58 years before the events of BSG, so there really isn't a reason really bother with it until you've watched all of BSG. Personally, I'm just waiting for the Caprica first season DVD set and not bothering to buy the pilot separately.
Originally Posted by kenichi tanaka
Actually, Caprica is a Battlestar Galactica movie. It's two hours in length and doubles as the pilot episode for the television series, if it actually gets produced.

If Caprica wasn't a movie, then the regular television season would have debuted soon afterwards. It's not your typical pilot episode. Just in the same way that the Knight Rider movie, that also served as the pilot episode for the regular television series.

Just take a look at the original Battlestar Galactica series. The movie also served as the pilot episode for the television series. The same as Buck Rogers.

You're actually arguing the fact that Caprica cannot be a movie since it's the pilot episode for the television series but it's actually the reverse.

While I did buy every season set of Battlestar Galactica but I was disappointed that the original Battlestar Galactica series has failed yet to drop in price or to go on sale.
Originally Posted by Cheato
^ Um, what?

Many "movies" that are made for TV are pilots for TV series. Sometimes they are aired and then picked up. Sometimes they are aired and never picked up. Sometimes they aren't even aired.

I think leitmotif was just trying to point out that Caprica wasn't a movie in the theatrical sense. The TV movie was, however, a pilot, regardless of whether or not it was picked up as a series before or after it aired, and when a potential follow-up series would air. You might as well argue that the 2003 mini-series wasn't a pilot for the series.
Cheato, actually, that's quite incorrect. There are far more movies (or telefilms) that are produced for television and they are not intended as pilots for television shows.

Matter of fact, I believe that Lifetime leads that number as they produce a ton of television movies (or telefilms) specifically for broadcast on their network. Sci Fi Channel is not too far behind Lifetime. Then, there are the various studio networks who produce telefilms that are also not intended as test films for potential television shows.

Matter of fact, the Battlestar Galactica mini-series wasn't originally intended to be turned into a television series. It was only after the mini-series aired and the producers and the network saw the ratings that they opted for a television series, thinking they would capitalize on those ratings.

While Caprica was intended as a pilot for a new television series, it's also considered a movie. Matter of fact, the Sci Fi Channel (or SyFy) is constantly advertising Caprica (even the DVD release) as a movie or television event. Even Comcast's On Demand service lists it as a movie (and not as a television show).
Originally Posted by Cheato
However, I never said that "all," or even "most," movies that are made for TV are made as pilots. My word was "many," and I stand by it. Do you think The 4400 wasn't intended as a series? Or TekWar? Or The Lost Room? Or Hercules: The Legendary Journeys? Or the U.S. Doctor Who? And the same with your example of Knight Rider. And the same with Knight Rider 2000. They were all pilots. Made in different ways and presented to the public in different ways, but they were ALL made with the hopes of being picked up and continued as series. Some of them were, and some of them weren't.

If you think the 2003 BSG mini-series was not intended as a pilot by the producers/creators from day 1, you're deluded. EVERYBODY working on that mini-series was hoping it would be picked up. Is there anyone who was in the mini-series that wasn't in the series? Do you think they didn't have clauses in their contracts that covered possibilities of it being picked up? What about DVD rights? Do you think that releasing Season 1 with the mini-series included in it would have been so easy to do if it hadn't been considered ahead of time? The miniseries was extremely expensive to make, but it was basically a big investment which they were hoping to have pay off with a series.

The Caprica TV movie/series pilot can not be considered a "TV show" by definition, since it is only one "episode." The idea of "TV show" implies a "series," and you can't have a series of 1. And if it's longer than an hour time-slot, it can be a "movie," but if it's only one hour or less, it's a "special." However, once Caprica reaches enough episodes, and goes into syndication, do you think the series pilot will be included in the syndication deal? Of course it will.

Why you are splitting hairs about the terminology and why you are using what the SciFi Channel (or anyone else) advertises as basis for any point you're trying to make is beyond me. The SciFi channel will call it anything they want to in order to bring in viewers.
Cheato, for one very good reason. The Sci-Fi Channel (and this may come as a shocker to you) is owned by NBC Universal. I would think that if the Sci Fi Channel is advertising the Caprica movie as a movie (as well as their DVD advertisements) I would think that they would know better than anyone what it is. Even Battlestar Galactica: Razor is considered a movie, despite also being double-billed as part of the episodic definition for the television series.

I'm not stuck on this particular idea, you are.

Caprica is a movie. Sure, it's also considered a pilot for the television series, but it is also a movie.

Oh, and hoping that a movie gets picked up for a television series doesn't declassify the movie as a pilot. Battlestar Galactica (1978) is a movie, which is released as a movie and as the television series. The mini series (Battlestar Galactica 2004) was never considered not to be a movie, it was a television event. When it was produced, it was never produced with thoughts that it would be a television series. This was conveyed in various interviews conducted with the cast during pre-production of the mini series. It didn't become knwon that the possibility of a TV series would come forth until after Sci Fi and NNC Universal saw the ratings for the mini series.

Actually, I am not sure I understand your last post, kenichi.
But first, just a tip: try to avoid phrases like "this may come as a shocker to you," unless you're trying to be a prick.

hoping that a movie gets picked up for a television series doesn't declassify the movie as a pilot
Do you mean "reclassify?" Creating a movie with the hope that it gets picked up as a pilot actually IS the definition of a type of pilot. The first 10 links of a Google search for "tv series pilot definition" (no quotes) back up that point. BSG 2003 is actually listed on Wikipedia's page as an example of a "backdoor pilot," along with the aforementioned Knight Rider and U.S. Doctor Who.

In the old days of TV, a simple pilot was just used as a test episode to show what could be done. The Get Smart pilot was filmed in B/W and not intended to be aired, but was used to first sell the series to a network, and then sell advertising spots to potential sponsors. The actual series was produced in color, and the pilot was not part of the syndicated package. Same with the I Love Lucy pilot, and many of the scenes from it were integrated into an actual episode that aired a few weeks in. Same with the rather famous "The Cage" pilot that became 2 later episodes of the original Star Trek.

However, in the modern age of TV, the "backdoor pilot" (definition by Variety) is a pilot that is intended from the beginning to be aired as a movie or mini-series or special or event or whatever the marketing people want to call it. Production values are high, everything is in place in case it becomes a series, it is a complete story (albeit with unanswered questions and unresolved issues), etc.. It just tests the waters of viewer reaction for the network and sponsors.

The mini series (Battlestar Galactica 2004) was never considered not to be a movie, it was a television event.
never...not? Again, I think maybe a grammar/vocabulary mistake (combined with a date mistake), causing some confusion. I'll just state what I said before: BSG 2003 was a pilot. It was a mini-series, so you can call it a pilot mini-series if you want, since that tells you what format it was delivered to the viewers in. It was always hoped to be picked up as a series for TV in some format (a series of TV movies, a series of mini-series, a regular ongoing series, whatever). It is obviously the beginning of a larger story. Again, this is the very definition of a type of pilot: something made with the hopes that it will be picked up and turned into a series. Just like the original BSG pilot movie from 1978. Again, if you think the producers/creators of BSG 2003 weren't hoping/praying for the SyFy Channel to give the go-ahead for a series, you're nuts.

I would think that if the Sci Fi Channel is advertising the Caprica movie as a movie (as well as their DVD advertisements) I would think that they would know better than anyone what it is.
Sorry, but again, this argument holds no water whatsoever. The SyFy Channel (God, I hate that spelling) will call it whatever they want to call it to make it sound attractive to viewers. I'm just imagining their thinking here, but if it's a "movie," it sounds big budget and professional, and since it doesn't have the words "Battlestar Galactica" in its title, then it might bring in viewers who didn't watch that original series. And BSG fans will still catch it since they know it's part of the same universe.
Old 01-03-10, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: Caprica: ''movie'' vs ''pilot'' ?

I don't see how this needs a new thread.

That beeing said, of course the mini series was created with a future series in mind. Might not have been set in stone but of course everyone involved had that in mind.
Old 01-03-10, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wanted to keep the OT discussion from bumping the thread in the Bargains forum. It's OT there, but not here. Also, the thread in the Bargains forum was essentially redundant, anyway, since the BSG titles being on sale were just part of another bigger sale that has its own thread.
Old 01-03-10, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread makes my head hurt.

"But first, just a tip: try to avoid phrases like "this may come as a shocker to you," unless you're trying to be a prick."

or about to administer two in the pink, one in the stink.