Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Which 27"? narrowed down to 3! Also, couple of Q's

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Which 27"? narrowed down to 3! Also, couple of Q's

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-00, 05:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phillips Magnavox
model: TS2779C
s-video input
A/V input
$299.99

Sharp w/PIP
model: 27NS300
s-video input
front / rear A/V inputs
comb filter
v-chip
$299.99

Panasonic
model: CT-27D10
PanaBlack picture tube
3-Line digital comb filter
componet video input
s-video input
front / rear A/V inputs
fixed / variable Audio output
$349.99

These are tv's from a local Best Buy. All 3 tvs had the same program on. Though not right next to each other, I couldn't tell any difference between the 3 as far as picture quality. All looked GREAT!!

My Q's:

What difference would I notice (if any) using componet vs. s-video input?

What about comb filter vs. 3-Line Digital comb filter vs. the Magnavox which does not have neither? Does this have any effect on dvd's?

So, which do you recommend? The tv will be used 95% of the time watching dvd's / 5% on local channels.

Should I go through Best Buy or through an on-line shop?

Thanks for any advice!

Jonathan

------------------
$1,287.99 worth of dvd's for $306.66 <> click for the list!
Old 07-23-00, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Between those three, I'd go with the Panasonic since it has the 3 line digital filter and component video input. Combining these two, you'll get the best possible performance out of your DVD player (short of a flat screen TV like a Sony Wega).

Have fun shopping!

Old 07-23-00, 05:43 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, the Sony Wega was sitting right there.
I was soooooo close to buying (charging on the BB card) the 27" w/o PIP. Only if it was $100 cheaper.

Old 07-23-00, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally, I don't think component input will make a significant difference over an S-Video input on a 27" TV. At least it doesn't make a difference that I can see on my own JVC D-Series 27". Its nice to have though.

But if I were you, I'd still choose the Panasonic, mostly because of its filter.
Old 07-23-00, 06:32 PM

I own a Panasonic 27" tv with the panablack picture tube and all of the inputs you listed (except for the component video input). It has a really nice picture and I would defintely recommend it. I have my DVD player hooked up through S-Video and it is a significant improvement over composite video, but I'm told there isn't as big of an improvement going from S to component. I'm not saying there isn't an improvement, I'm just saying it isn't as drastic. If you can spend the extra $100 though, I'd definitely go with the Wega!!!
Old 07-23-00, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Go with Panasonic. At Best Buy I was deciding between the Philips one, the Panasonic one, and a Toshiba one. I thought the Panasonic had the best picture, and sure enough at home the picture quality is awesome. And, if you sign up for their BestBuy card you don't have to pay for six months, pretty good deal.

------------------
Eternia's List
Old 07-24-00, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Play a letterbox movie/DVD on the Panasonic and see if you see dot crawl on the bottom part of the letterboxed picture. This drove me nuts when I was looking for a 27" TV, otherwise, I would have bought it. Stay away from the Magnavox, their horizontal lines are not horizontal, they bend too much, and their red guns are off target for the most part (the reds bleed).

I got the Toshiba (my gripe with that TV is the contrast), but it's got component inputs (which only yield about a 10-20% improvement over S-Video). If you could afford the Sony, I'd go for the Sony. PIP is a novelty. I have it, but I never use it.

I know nothing about the Sharp TVs. Look critically at each TV (don't just say that all look great, there are minute differences, and make sure you pick the one with the least amount of flaws you can live with).

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 07-24-00, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No question; out of those three I'd go with the Panasonic.

------------------
My Homepage

DVDTracker List
Old 07-24-00, 08:01 AM
Banned

I went with the Panasonic!

Popped in my DD demo "We've got the whole world listening". The picture is truely amazing with the trailers. When I get home from work, I got to get my receiver hooked up.

Thanks for all the help!

Jonathan

PS The 27" Wega was either $499 or 599. either way $150 or 250 more. If it would of been $450, I would of gotten it! I'm sure the Panasonic will bring years of enjoyment to me.
Old 07-24-00, 05:58 PM

Congrats, good choice, and GOOD LUCK!!