Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Powers - Bendis

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-09, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powers - Bendis

I recently picked up the Powers - Definitive Collection: Volume 1 and really enjoyed it. Probably the most fun I have had ready comics in a while. Anyone else read this series? Does the rest of the series retain the same quality?
Old 12-28-09, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Powers - Bendis

From what I heard, the story weakened when it went to Marvel. Of course, I've also heard the new series is pretty good so far.

I'm waiting to read the series until I have all three hardcovers. I managed to get volume 2 without buying volume 1 first.
Old 12-28-09, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by bishop2knight
From what I heard, the story weakened when it went to Marvel. Of course, I've also heard the new series is pretty good so far.

I'm waiting to read the series until I have all three hardcovers. I managed to get volume 2 without buying volume 1 first.
That isn't surprising because Volume 1 is listed as "Out of Print" at most retailers. They still had a copy at my local Borders however, and there are some listing for it on Ebay.
Old 12-28-09, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think overall Bendis is a terrible writer & dreadfully overrated. That said, the first 24 or so issues of Powers is incredible & probably his best work. Unfortunately the series just completely loses direction & becomes very repetitive & unfocused. So no, IMO the series definitely does not keep up the quality. I don't know how many issues are in the volume one of the definitive collection.
Old 12-28-09, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I think overall Bendis is a terrible writer & dreadfully overrated. That said, the first 24 or so issues of Powers is incredible & probably his best work. Unfortunately the series just completely loses direction & becomes very repetitive & unfocused. So no, IMO the series definitely does not keep up the quality. I don't know how many issues are in the volume one of the definitive collection.
I don't read much Marvel so most of my experience with Bendis is his early independent stuff. I have read Torso and Fortune & Glory, along with the first definitive of Powers. I have enjoyed what I have read so far.

I was just talking to my cousin about different comic writers the other day, and he really loves Garth Ennis as many people do. I just don't see it, to me Garth Ennis' work is 90% "dick and fart" humor, but I recognize that is this instance I appear to have a minority opinion.

So alot of this writer stuff really does boil down to taste I guess...
Old 05-09-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

A friend of mine turned me onto Powers. He'd been reading from the beginning, and then last December he got me the Who Killed Retro Girl? (vol. 1) and Little Deaths (vol. 3) trade paperbacks for my birthday. I enjoyed the first one, then found Roleplay (vol. 2) and read that. My only complaints of the first two collections is that the stories just kinda...stop. Not very satisfying conclusions. I totally love Deana Pilgrim, though.
Old 05-09-11, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I picked up the original trades when they first came out, and got up to I think the third volume, but as I'm a sucker for definitive hardcover editions, I've been picking these up recently (they seem to be reasonably priced too, though some of the pagecount is taken up by scripts, which I have little interest in reading through). Read up to volume 4... there's definitely a point where it turns away from the original "non-powered detectives investigating powers" theme, around volume 3 when you find more about Walker's past. But I've enjoyed the whole run. It's true the most of the stories don't wrap up completely, but I like that better than the scooby-doo line of tying everything up in a bow at the end of each story.
Old 05-15-12, 09:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have all four definitive hardcovers and am a big fan. i agree that the genre does change but since it was still well done i stuck with it and enjoyed it. if i had to nitpick i would say the art doesnt really match the writing -- i do like the art, i just feel like it its a bit too 'saturday morning cartoony' for bendis in his adult mode.

they are really taking forever to release these though, it looks like volume 5 might not be until this fall (over 1.5 years since the last one). i feel like every month there is a new regular collection released, to the point where i considered switching just to get it faster.