Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Christmas exchange policy?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-09, 05:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Received a Pioneer head unit for Christmas today. A pleasant surprise. I like the model I received, except it only has 2V preouts. I would like to exchange it for the next higher model with 4V preouts and pay the difference. I do not have a receipt, and do not want to ask the person for the receipt because I know it will hurt their feelings.

I know I have exchanged DVD's after Christmas at Best Buy without a receipt, but can I exchange a car stereo?
Old 12-24-09, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Best Buy Christmas exchange policy?

They allow everyone ONE unopened return without a receipt per year. Get yours in now in case you need to do it again in 2010.
Old 12-25-09, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
They allow everyone ONE unopened return without a receipt per year. Get yours in now in case you need to do it again in 2010.
Is that calender year, or you have to wait 12+ months since your last return?

And how do they calculate the value of movies? I have a movie that I got as part of a TV bundle that I really don't want, I'd love to exchange it for something else. It's "The Ugly Truth".
Old 12-25-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When did this start?! ive never been able to successfully return something to best buy w/o a receipt.
Old 12-25-09, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Drav3n
When did this start?! ive never been able to successfully return something to best buy w/o a receipt.
I have. Actually, I have never been denied (outside of a CD they no longer had in their system). I just tell them it was a gift and that I think they got it from BB. I call first, just so I can say I did, they usually recommend coming in. I tell them I called, and I get store credit every time - they usually do not even ask for ID (so, no record of number of returns).
Old 12-25-09, 03:57 PM

damn, i usually have luck at walmart but never at best buy...and i even know the employees there too! lol it would be so much better if i could do it at best buy than walmart!
Old 12-25-09, 05:47 PM

I tried it out on wednesday (12-23) just to see... told them I wanted to beat the return crowd & had already exchanged gifts with the in-laws... they didn't even blink - gave me an instore credit gift card for the amount of both items (2 dvd tv season box sets)
Old 12-25-09, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I have 2 video games (Batman Arkham Asylum, Fight Night Round 4) and a Star Trek DVD that I got from a friend for X-Mas also with no receipt, but he purchased them from Best Buy. And I already have all 3 items.

So I should have no problems swapping these for a Gift Card?
Old 12-25-09, 07:20 PM

Best buy can look up receipts if item was paid for with a credit, debit cards. Go in, give them the name/phone # of the person and that might solve your problem.
Old 12-25-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

i don't think that's true. i think it's 2 returns a year. at least it was all the years i worked there.

OP, why not ask for the receipt, but say you'd like it in case something goes wrong with it, you want to have the ability to take it back to replace.
Old 12-25-09, 11:12 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Most retail stores are a lot more lenient after Christmas. As long as it's in brand new condition, I think most stores will give you store credit and take the item back. Just don't go abusing it
Old 12-26-09, 12:05 AM

In South Florida................none of the Best Buys will do crap for you wiuthout a receipt. They can look it up via credit card, but if you don't have that info, they won't take it back.
Old 12-28-09, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's currently no way to track whether someone made a 'no receipt return' at Best Buy, so there's no one or two per year rule. Most stores just won't do it if they can't find your receipt through our database.

At my store, I authorized no receipt exchanges for anything under $100 through the extended return policy date. Anything over $100 needs a receipt.
Old 12-28-09, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tarantino
There's currently no way to track whether someone made a 'no receipt return' at Best Buy, so there's no one or two per year rule. Most stores just won't do it if they can't find your receipt through our database.

At my store, I authorized no receipt exchanges for anything under $100 through the extended return policy date. Anything over $100 needs a receipt.
How is that, though? They now require a DL for all returns. You can very easily track the returns a person has done w/o a receipt if you use their DL? My two closest BBs have been doing that for years.
Old 12-28-09, 09:33 PM

I've usually been able to do 3 no-receipt after Christmas returns - have my fingers crossed for 2009!
Old 12-29-09, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
How is that, though? They now require a DL for all returns. You can very easily track the returns a person has done w/o a receipt if you use their DL? My two closest BBs have been doing that for years.
That must be a regional/district initiative then, because every store I've worked at in CA has never required a drivers license for returns.
Old 12-29-09, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk God

That must be a regional/district initiative then, because every store I've worked at in CA has never required a drivers license for returns.
Must be because of people like me, abusing the system over and over again. Way to go self!
Old 12-29-09, 01:42 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Target does the same thing ($75 total for 12 months). I'll have to bring some BDs back to Best Buy this week.
Old 01-05-10, 12:40 PM
Banned

One year I bought "I Know What You Did Last Summer" in October for $5.00. I then was pissed when I saw that they had the I Know What You Did Last Summer trilogy box set on sale in January for $20.00. However I had not yet opened my copy of "I Know What You Did Last Summer". So I took it back to the store and told them it was an X-Mas gift. The original price sticker was $14.99. So I ended up getting the box set for $10.00!
Old 01-05-10, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Best Buys around me are super strict with their receipt policies. If you can't prove it came from there, they won't take it back.
Old 01-05-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

I exchanged the SD Wizard of Oz UCE for the Blu-Ray version no problem at my local BB in So Cal.
Old 01-05-10, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk God

I took back 2 blu-rays to my local BB on New Year's Day w/o a receipt. No issues.
Old 01-10-10, 07:14 PM

During the Xmas holiday season, every Best Buy and Walmart in VA that I've been to will take back movies without question and give you store credit without a receipt. Took back quite a bit this year. Target will limit you to $75 from what I've seen. --Rick